Come on Biaggi!

Assen WSBK: Biaggi facing fifth-row start in Holland

20/04/2012

Biaggi will miss Superpole if it rains again tomorrow

By WSBK desk
Image by Paul Sturman

Former World Superbike Champion Max Biaggi got caught out by the downpour that hit Assen just minutes into the first qualfying session today and he didn't manage to get in a banker lap meaning he could be out of tomorrow's Superpole session if conditions for second qualifying are similar.

The Roman Emperor could only muster 17th place in the first free practice this morning due to bike problems and he then only got one lap in the dry before rain appeared, meaning he was again left in 17th and out of the final session if today's qualifying times stand.

“We didn't start off well. This morning we had some problems with the bike that caused us to lose precious time. In the afternoon we started after making some significant changes, but after a few minutes it began to rain and I was forced to come in," said Biaggi.

"When you make such drastic changes you have to re-familiarise yourself with the bike and unfortunately I wasn't able to build my confidence in the only fast lap I had, so we ended in seventeenth place. At the moment we are out of Superpole and that really disappoints me. We'll see what tomorrow's sessions bring."