Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I favor Lane Sharing in Colorado

I favor Lane Sharing in Colorado

I think I'll start a new thread on lane sharing instead of continuing on the Squid Alert!!! thread.

It astonishes me that there can be any disagreement about the benefits of lane sharing for motorcycles.

1. It has been in California for years. It works there. It will work here.

2. It is really, really stupid to sit in traffic on a motorcycle, a vehicle by it's very design nature should never be constrained by a traffic jam.

3. If it is legal in Colorado, you may do it, you don't HAVE to do it.

4. Many motorcycles have less adequate cooling systems than cars. They are not made to sit in idle in a traffic jam at 105 degrees.

5. The cars surrounding the motorcycle stuck in traffic at 105 degrees have roofs and air conditioners. The drivers are not wearing helmets, armoured coats, etc.

6. Most motorcycles on the road do not have Catalytic converters. They produce more pollution, relatively speaking, than the cars while stopped in traffic.

7. Motorcycles get an average of 30 - 60 mpg or more. This helps our reduce our dependance on foreign oil, unless the motorcycle isn't moving.

8. Auto drivers will get used to lane sharing, even if they don't like it. Just like in California.

9. Motorcycle clutches are not designed to work well or long in stop and go traffic. Yes, there are some automatic motorcycles, but statistically, they are probably less than 1%

10. As I stated originally, sitting on a motorcycle in stopped traffic is as stupid as sitting on a bicycle in stopped traffic.

There are 10 good reasons off the top of my head why Colorado needs lane sharing. The Senator I was talking to wanted to know if most motorcyclists supported the idea, or if it was just me. As with anything else in politics, it's all about numbers.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

'03 Honda vtr1000f Super Hawk
    '07 Honda XR650L

Re: I favor Lane Sharing in Colorado

Goodluck, even if it was legal here in CO, i ain't doing it ....however, occasionally i do ride the shoulder here in Boulder on Foothills between Arapahoe and Colorado during morning rush hour...

I did it while I lived in Japan, where it's fully expected, where there are extra areas at red lights where bikes can pull up to be in front of cars (basically there's a crosswalk, space for bikes, then cars stop behind another line) and the culture of driving is one of privilege and drivers are far more alert, far more aware of bikes, better trained, and generally courteous. I never was afraid to lane spit, even when I went from Kyoto to Sapporo by bike (and train and ferry).

When I visited my friends in Cali, they'd lane split and I have never felt more UNsafe in my life.

Yes, the state allows it, but the cagers don't seem aware of that fact, nor do they care.

Riding in a car's blindspot for 85% of the time you're splitting lanes seems like a great way to get splattered when some asshole jumps lanes without looking, when they lane-wander since they're texting and not paying attention, or whenever anyone makes a mistake.

I think it should be legal to pull ahead at redlights like in Japan, and I think running the left shoulder shouldn't be illegal if there's a jam, but I can't see going down the middle of two rows of inattentive idiots who can kill me without ever knowing I was there...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

When I visited my friends in Cali, they'd lane split and I have never felt more UNsafe in my life.

See my reason for lane sharing law in Colorado #3

Colorado riders are not any more used to lane sharing than the cagers are. If we passed the law, you would find yourself filtering ahead at a red light, or moving out of a traffic jam where the cars are stopped. You would get more comfortable with lane sharing. You would learn to watch signs that cars are going to impede the space you plan to share. My guess would be that, yes, there are some lane sharing accidents, but mostly minor, like busting someones mirror. I lived in California for many years and rode my Honda XL 500. I didn't lane share much, or at all, but it was nice to be able to if needed.

'07 Honda XR650L

I'm all for it....just needs to be legal before I'd do it. In CA, is it legal on all roads, or just divided highways?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I just pulled the following information off of Laneshare.org. As far as I know, this information is correct.

When it comes to lane-sharing in North America, California is Mecca. In fact, if you want to get anywhere on a motorcycle in the Los Angeles basin, avoiding lane-sharing is not an option. The practice of lane-sharing has been allowed for decades. Yet, contrary to popular belief, there is no California statute permitting the practice. On the other hand, there’s no law stating you can’t lane-share. In other words, lane-sharing is not legal, but rather not illegal in the Golden State.

Perhaps a matter of semantics for some, this is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it allows some flexibility in the use of lane-sharing. On the other hand, it leaves it up to the discretion of the Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) and his/her opinion whether your brand of lane-sharing is “reasonable and prudent“.

The generally “understood” guidelines seem to be:

Travel no faster than 10 mph faster than the vehicles you’re lane-sharing with.
    Merge back in with the traffic when they reach 30-35 mph.
    Never exceed the speed limit.
    Lane-sharing between lanes #1 and #2 is preferred. (#1 being the “fast” or “inside” lane)
    Stay, more or less, in one lane or the other. Excessive meandering might get you cited. (CA code 2165
    Ride carefully to not cause damage to other vehicles.

Add to this a few other pointers:

Be a competent rider before attempting the practice.
    Be prepared to adjust your speed as necessary.
    Cover your brake and clutch to reduce reaction time.
    Avoid lane-sharing between two large trucks.
    Be wary of open spaces inviting a vehicle to change lanes.
    Be vigilant of other vehicle operator’s head movements indicative of an impending lane change.
    Check your mirrors and be prepared to move over for overtaking motorcycles behind you.
    When in doubt, wait for a CHP motor patrol officer and follow him/her. (You might have to travel a bit faster than 10mph to keep up.)
    When an incident occurs between the lane-sharing motorcyclist and another vehicle, it’s not always the motorcyclist who gets cited. It’s up to the LEO to decide who was at fault (back to the double-edged sword). For instance, if the lane-changing vehicle didn’t signal the change properly, that operator could be cited for violating CA code 22107. On the other hand, if the motorcyclist was deemed to be traveling at too great a speed for the situation, CA code 22350 would be used to cite the rider.

'07 Honda XR650L

2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10

All those reasons are ridiculous. We CHOOSE to operate a vehicle that puts us in those conditions...so we get to move ahead? So because diesel trucks pollute more maybe we should put in a special lane for them so they don't have to stop? Because my Smart Car isn't very safe I should be able to go around traffic?

Have fun buddy, this is asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by SloBlue View Post
    In other words, lane-sharing is not legal, but rather not illegal in the Golden State.

When an incident occurs between the lane-sharing motorcyclist and another vehicle, it’s not always the motorcyclist who gets cited. It’s up to the LEO to decide who was at fault (back to the double-edged sword). For instance, if the lane-changing vehicle didn’t signal the change properly, that operator could be cited for violating CA code 22107. On the other hand, if the motorcyclist was deemed to be traveling at too great a speed for the situation, CA code 22350 would be used to cite the rider.
    So, it's not even legal in CA, which is the only place it occurs in the USA, how, exactly, do you think it'd ever happen here?

You think local law enforcement wants another grey area to deal with? Or that any politicians who supported this wouldn't regret it the moment there's the first lawsuit?

Honestly, whether it's a good idea or not (and it's not) it'll never happen...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Asinine? Really?

Are you sure you ride a motorcycle?

Lane sharing isn't a new concept. It has been around a long time and has worked out just fine everywhere it's tried. Why the hostility towards an idea that would benefit you if it were implemented?

Next time you are on a bicycle, and traffic comes to a stop, why don't you stop with them. Bicycles are required to "follow the same rules" as cars.

'07 Honda XR650L

Sometimes I'll wait in traffic on my bicycle, but usually just hop up on the sidewalk or off the road if possible. Have done that on the sumo....but that's a topic for another thread.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I am absolutely astonished that I am getting mostly negative feedback on lane sharing here, on this site. I would expect a negative response on the Colorado Prius Drivers forum, where they don't have any vested interest in the issue.

But, you are right Ghost, it will never happen in Colorado if we can't even agree it's a good idea between sportbike riders. I would expect this to be the demographic that supports the idea the most, whereas HOG members probably wouldn't be as enthusiastic.

Even that, if it were true, would surprise me. What's more likely to break down in a traffic jam than a Harley?

'07 Honda XR650L

I support lane sharing like I support single mothers dancing on poles.

Sharing the two lanes with two flat bed tow trucks, is a tight fit, but do-able.

It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Well, a HD is built for a parade.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I didn't realize that the "No longer a Virgin" thread has apparently talked this one to death. Huh.

Maybe I'll just put lane sharing and legal double-yellow passing of slow moving vehicles in the canyons on my list of other improbable fantasies like winning PowerBall.

'07 Honda XR650L

I didn't realize that the "No longer a Virgin" thread has apparently talked this one to death. Huh.

Maybe I'll just put lane sharing and legal double-yellow passing of slow moving vehicles in the canyons on my list of other improbable fantasies like winning PowerBall.

Yep......
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Well, I think it's just another reason for other people to hate us. I saw a guy lane splitting, eerr lane SHARING in a traffic jam on I 25 south this afternoon and all I thought was that he was retarded, selfish, douchebag, I was in a truck. If it were legal, I wouldn't do it, and would discourage it.... Most of your reasons are just about how to keep our inconvenience down, how to benefit us, not about anything that is actually beneficial to anyone else, while IMHO actually potentially hindering them, and creating more hassle for others. I bet the accident rate between motorcycles and cars would skyrocket if this actually went in to effect. Sure it might settle down after 5 years or so, but at what cost, all so a few idiots could get somewhere 15 min faster?

If you really want to benefit people find a way to keep them from rubber necking and 75% of the traffic jams in Colorado that I've seen won't even exist.

Yep, it pretty much wore everyone out...

There may or may not be occasional, legitimate reasons to do both Lane Splitting and Double-Yellow Passing, and some states allow bikes to treat a Red Light like a Stop Sign if it's not changing.

But, you have to look at the larger picture, and any legislation that'll open up more options to a few road users but not all would never get the support it needs to be anything more than a dream.

Plus, again, actually instituting any new policy, especially with the uneducated drivers (and illegals without even insurance) is a recipe for disaster.

Brock Yates has been going on since the 1970s about a tiered license system, and with it the ability to prove you're more capable and thus can go faster than posted limits, and it's never been anything but a bullshit dream and a "wouldn't it be nice" idea...

So...cynical as I may seem, I'm just being a realist--it's not a great idea (too many idiots on both sides--car and bike), and it'd never be implemented even if it was...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Man made laws are just that...to assist in the agenda of the topic of the writing. Lot's of man made laws are in need of updating.

Giving up because of someone's opinion is just silly.

I met a gent last week who had his last rights read to him awhile ago and he never quit. Now, he's running marathons.

"Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?"
    — Hunter S. Thompson
    Changing the law to allow lane sharing for two wheeled vehicles could be looked upon as one "who has braved the storm of life".

This glass is half full...
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    Man made laws are just that...to assist in the agenda of the topic of the writing. Lot's of man made laws are in need of updating.

I met a gent last week who had his last rights read to him awhile ago and he never quit. Now, he's running marathons.

Changing the law to allow lane sharing for two wheeled vehicles could be looked upon as one "who has braved the storm of life".

You can also piss into the wind and think it's raining...call it braving the storm if you want, but don't believe it...

The glass is what it is, regardless of your belief
    Last edited by Ghost; Thu Jun 23rd, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post

That is not even close to what I was quoting..... but OK..... I was referencing more of "Carpe Diem" kinda thing, in different words.

The legislation will not be changed. I agree with Ghost on this one. The "wouldn't it be nice" rhetoric is sickening sometimes.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

As a matter of fact, when I rode downtown last night I stayed with traffic, followed all rules, didn't filter forward (something I've ragged on my gf for incessantly).

Sorry we didn't bite on your idea. Just remember, you're neither the first to think of this and get nowhere, nor will you be the last. Go ahead and pursue it, but try and come up with some reasonable arguments first.

Why should your arguments be taken seriously when you, early on, start them with, "2. It is really, really stupid to sit in traffic on a motorcycle" and then conclude with the same, poor argument. Is that how your conversation with the Senator went? So what was 10 "good" reasons, are actually 8 now.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

@ most of the "reasoning"

@ the thread in general

"California does it, why can't we?"

They also have a helmet law. Ya wanna bring that over from Cali too? I am 100% for wearing helmets, don't get me wrong. But you cannot reasonably expect a lane sharing initiative to get any traction without also considering all the other Kalifornia laws. They were kicking around the idea of requiring motorcycles to have emissions testing done, ferchristsakes!

Sorry, but saying "It works there. It will work here" is like saying universal health care works in Europe, it'll work here. That is NOT a valid way to further an argument. In many European countries they also have oppressive laws that make it so hard to buy a house that it's not uncommon to see 3 generations living in the same house - would we want THAT imported from Europe too? I hope not.

I wouldn't favor a lane splitting law here because I already read too many stories about motorcyclists getting killed. Lane splitting is just unsafe by nature - you're going past people who are listening to NPR, putting on makeup, smacking the kid in the back seat, and sipping on a Starbucks while sending off a text message. They are NOT looking for motorcycles in front of them, behind them, in the lane next to them, and they sure as hell won't be looking out for a motorcycle passing BETWEEN lanes.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!