Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sv650 Lurching??

Sv650 Lurching??

Hey all, I'm hoping with the combined knowledge of CSC, someone will have an idea how to fix this problem I'm having. I've got a 2007 Sv650s in great condition. The only problem is, lately I've noticed that the bike feels like its lurching. I initially thought it was a problem with some slack in the chain, and it was a bit loose so I tightened that up and made sure everything was aligned. I just got back from a ride and it seems a little better but the problem is still there. I mostly notice it when I'm engine braking or cruising at around 6-7000rpm. I can see the needle bouncing a tiny bit at the same time as the lurching feeling. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

PS: I noticed that when I pull my clutch in and rev the engine the rpms hold steady and the lurching stops. It seems to only happen when there's a load put on the back tire during engine breaking or cruising. Thanks CSC, enjoy the 80 degree weather!

Re: Sv650 Lurching??

Possible areas to look at:
    - worn sprockets front and /or rear?
    - dirty injectors?
    - sticky throttle cable & linkage
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

99% of the time, it's a worn chain and sprockets. Does the bike have aftermarket exhaust or air filter? If so, and you don't have any compensating fueling mods(like a Power Commander), it may be a fueling issue. Gimme a call if you want, and I will try to help narrow down the possibilities.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Looking at the chain, I think I'm due for a new chain/sprockets. The bike has about 14k miles on it and I'm pretty sure everything on it is stock since I bought it used last summer. The chain has a few kinked links in it and I'm thinking that's what's causing the issue. It's not unbearable yet but I have a feeling they'll need to be replaced soon. Any idea how much it costs to get it done in a shop since I don't have the tools knowledge to do it myself? I'd be willing to pay someone who's done this before to help me out with money and beer Pictures of chain/sprockets are below. Thanks guys! You Rock!

I have a near new chain and sprockets that came off of my race bike when it was new. You would need a master link but it would be way cheaper than buying new. I can get more info if interested. Probably figure $50 for everything.

Bueller is offering you a hell of a deal. I'm not sure about your bike but my chains are around $100 plus another 50 or more for sprockets.
    A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith and use up a lot of fuel.
    A good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing. So does a good lover.

Definitely time for a new chain/sprockets, and like rfranks said, I'd jump all over Bueller's deal.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

That sounds amazing Bueller! Thank you. I'm definitely interested since most chain/sprocket kits I've been looking at are around $130-$150. If you have any more info that'd be great. I don't have any experience changing out chain/sprockets so if you know how to do it I'd be more than willing to compensate you. Thanks again!

If we can find out what type of chain it is, I can probably get a master link. Suzuki doesn't sell them, as it's supplied as an endless chain.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

It is a 525 set 15t front, 44t rear, 108 length DID o-ring 525, V8 is the marking on the chain.
    If Jim can get you the master I would have him go ahead and do the swap, he'll give you a good price on the labor and he knows what he is doing and could probably diagnose your problem if this is not the cause of your issue. I don't have a chain tool or I would help you out. But yea one way or the other your chain/sprockets appears to need replacement. My SV is using a 520 setup so this is just collecting dust in my shed.

Looks like the same chain as the one I have now, the rear sprocket has 44 teeth instead of 45. Does that translate to more low end torque?

Slightly less low end, slightly higher top speed. By slightly I mean barely noticeable and only if you're really paying attention.

Holy crap...I'm having this exact same issue--like to the 'T'. Started about 2 weeks ago and has gotten slightly worse. Jim actually mentioned that my chain and sprockets looked to be due soon (this was a couple months ago), so it looks like that time has officially come for me as well.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

I am not sure why there would be 1 tooth difference between the 2 but yes a miniscule difference, it would go towards less low end "drive" but would go towards lower cruising rpm and better gas mileage. You should have a front wheel driven speedo so your speedo/odo would not be affected.

Is the bike jerky when rolling on and off the throttle? make sure you TBs are syncronized (click here use this tool), and make sure your TPS (click here) is adjusted correctly. If the TBs are not in sync, one cylinder will have more power than the other, causing a "lurch". I did mine a few weeks ago and made a huge difference. This morning I also cut the front of the airbox out, and lifted the tank about 6mm by adding spacers under the front of the tank. Made a noticeable difference in mid range throttle response and smoothed out the powerband. The intake noise is loud, but sounds cool.

If you would like, I can show you a way to sync your TBs without removing anything, all you have to do is "T'" into the PAIR sensors. Took me 15 minutes to do mine.
    05' SV1000S-CF

Im too tall for this shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I am not sure why there would be 1 tooth difference between the 2 but yes a miniscule difference, it would go towards less low end "drive" but would go towards lower cruising rpm and better gas mileage. You should have a front wheel driven speedo so your speedo/odo would not be affected.
    SV speedos are output shaft driven
    05' SV1000S-CF

Quote Originally Posted by My back hurts View Post
    SV speedos are output shaft driven
    I guess that cable and drive going to my front wheel are just extra parts then?

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I guess that cable and drive going to my front wheel are just extra parts then?
    What year do you have? his is an 07' and my 05 is output shaft driven.
    Last edited by My back hurts; Sun Apr 29th, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
    05' SV1000S-CF

His sig says 06 650.

EDIT: God I love having access to Suzuki's dealer network and electronic service manuals...
    03-07 SV650 and SV650S are on the front wheel.
    All SV1000 and SV1000S are run off of the tranny output shaft/front sprocket shaft.
    Last edited by Wrider; Sun Apr 29th, 2012 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    His sig says 06 650.

EDIT: God I love having access to Suzuki's dealer network and electronic service manuals...
    All SV1000 and SV1000S are run off of the tranny output shaft/front sprocket shaft.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    His sig says 06 650.

Seems like a waste of money on suzukis part
    05' SV1000S-CF

Senior Member Moderator

I don't know if this is the case with your SV, but I just followed this guide to adjust the throttle position sensor on my '06 and I've noticed a huge difference in the smoothness of the throttle input.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...osition+sensor

It varies, but on my SV the tps was cutting fuel delivery at 3,000 rpm. I adjusted mine to the specs in the guide and have no regrets so far.

Coming somewhat full circle regarding the original topic....

Had my sprockets and chain changed by Jim at TFOG yesterday. As always, he did a great job, quick, and more fair than I'm thinkin' one is likely to find anywhere else in this area.

Just thought he deserved another shout out. Nice job, Jim...I appreciate it. The bike is like brand new again--heck, even better with the lower gearing!
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

I'm almost certain its my chain, I took the slack out on one section to a little over an inch and spun the wheel to find another section that was so tight, the rear wheel wouldn't spin. The chain is definitely unevenly stretched.