Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 09 r6s acting up

Re: 09 r6s acting up

Quick update for anyone interested

Looked into all the suggestions that I have received. Figured out that cyl #1 was firing inconsistently. Tore down from there to try and figure out why.

Finally found that moving the ignition coil/spark plug cap from cyl 1 to cyl 2 cause cyl 2 to go cold.

Have a new one on order, should be in later this week.

Not sure why it passed all diagnostic tests and never threw an error code? Hoping someone may have an answer for that.

Either way, a relatively easy fix.

Thanks for all of the info and ideas. Checked into each one and got to the answer eventually.
    Last edited by Reyven; Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: learned how to type

Coils CAN go bad, though it seems weird yours already crapped out. Was it a Mitsubishi, Denso, or some other one? Glad you found the issue.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by spideyrdr View Post
    Coils CAN go bad, though it seems weird yours already crapped out. Was it a Mitsubishi, Denso, or some other one? Glad you found the issue.
    I'm not sure which it is. Whatever Yamaha uses factory?

I have been told it is possible it got handled a little roughly during service, though I have no solid proof that this was the case. It very well could have been coincidence as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    I have had off and on issues similar to the OP's. I've been through a lot of solutions so I went for this one too. I'm doing the reset currently but my TPS seems to be putting out basically normal outputs when in Diag mode. It seems to roll through all the numbers well and have a low within the range and full open 1 off from the range (96 when its supposed to be 97-100). Im still doing the ECU reset though.
    Not to thread jack... Maybe there is a common theme...

Brad, I thought you were mis-firing somewhere? Has anyone looked at your bike since Faster?

Have you checked the check engine codes yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Reyven View Post
    I'm not sure which it is. Whatever Yamaha uses factory?
    I am just curious on this one. I have an '03 and there was a recall of the coils. The Denso's were replaced with Mitsubishis I think. Not that there should be any way your '09 R6s ended up with faulty Denso's but when you pull the coil again, look at it to see if it has a Mitsubishi logo on it or anything that indicates who makes it. Again, I doubt that's what is going on, but can't hurt to look when you have it out.

Cheers,
    Jamie
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by spideyrdr View Post
    I am just curious on this one. I have an '03 and there was a recall of the coils. The Denso's were replaced with Mitsubishis I think. Not that there should be any way your '09 R6s ended up with faulty Denso's but when you pull the coil again, look at it to see if it has a Mitsubishi logo on it or anything that indicates who makes it. Again, I doubt that's what is going on, but can't hurt to look when you have it out.

Cheers,
    Jamie
    Will do!