Thread: A slightly different perspective on riding the streets

A slightly different perspective on riding the streets

I had a discussion the other day with a very experienced rider who was taking the MSF class to get licensed and do some learning. After walking away, I think I may be the one that did some learning. I can say for certain that I had never thought about it from this perspective before. Now that I have, I can see both sides of the story. I am curious to hear what others think.

I know this will likely be controversial, but I think it is an important discussion.

The discussion was based off of the Susanna Schick incident in LA. >LINK TO ARTICLE<

The short version is that the woman on the bicycle exchanged words with the person in the car and it appears that the person in the car either hit her bike or knocked her off the road. Either way, she is in the hospital with a LOT of injuries as a result of whatever took place.

I will give the student’s view on this topic (I pulled this from an e-mail that I asked the student to write and send to me about this, so it is written from the student’s perspective):

After reading this, I realized how mad I am at other riders (motorcycle riders) who confront drivers during their rides when they feel like the driver has done something wrong.

I am tired of motorcyclists putting MY life in danger because of their behavior. I understand that drivers are idiots. But I don't understand why displaying rage towards these drivers is a useful form of communication. Almost all the dangerous moves done by drivers are done by drivers who are not paying attention. Therefore, this is what the driver experiences "lalalalalalala, OH HOLY SHIT THIS GUY IS TRYING TO KILL ME". That's it. The driver has no idea what they did wrong. They don't know how to translate a middle finger and vague arm movements and shouted profanity into instructions on how to improve their driving. All they know is that motorcyclists are dangerous and crazy. If a motorcyclist was able to communicate effectively after a driver made a mistake, then I would gladly approve. But, in almost all instances, the only end result is one more driver on the road with a negative conditioned response to seeing a motorcycle

And then you have the drivers that go through the exact same experience and experience the exact same rage that the motorcyclists felt. The driver sees a motorcyclists swerving or weaving around his/her car and the driver decides to defend his property or explain to the motorcyclist the "rules of the road". This is where I come in - because I also ride a motorcycle. And I don't want to end up as a hood ornament because a driver sees the perfect opportunity to "get back" at that ‘insane motorcyclist’ that flipped him off the other day.
    I have never quite had it put in that perspective before. Hearing it stated like that, I can certainly understand that point of view. It truly makes sense. This also leaves a lot of questions. Like, how do we as riders get cagers to pay attention? When something does happen, how do we ensure that oblivious person understands what could have just happened? Furthermore, are we wasting our time trying to communicate this concept to someone who is apparently not interested in what is going on around them? Maybe it’s just better for us (the collective us) to understand that these are the conditions that we drive in and be prepared to react to the unknown.

Let’s be honest, we know that riding a motorcycle is inherently more dangerous than a four wheeled vehicle. By getting on our bikes and going out to ride, we are assuming those risks. Most of us do our best to negate those risks by wearing our protective gear. Realistically, we can’t change every driver on the road (although it would be nice). Where does that leave us?
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Re: A slightly different perspective on riding the streets

All they know is that motorcyclists are dangerous and crazy.
    That's right Iceman, we are dangerous.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

I never thought about it to the extent of my life being in danger (still don't), but my feelings aren't too dissimilar - it bugs me when I see or hear about other riders doing things that gives us as riders, particularly sportbike riders, a bad name... like the story I heard yesterday from a co-worker, who also rides (a V-max), who was riding home the other day, and had to slow down with the rest of traffic because some sportbikers were slowing down both lanes of traffic on 36 so they could do wheelies. I have no problem with people doing wheelies, even on the highway, but to impede traffic in the process is just downright selfish and it pisses me off! ... My co-worker was worried that the cars around him might take vengeance on him! A similar story: I was riding home a month or so ago and came up on another sportbike (I can't remember if he was wearing any gear besides a helmet and his vest). I decided to stay behind him, cuz it was dark, and IMO there's safety in numbers. A cager decided to change into our lane, right in front of him, I flashed my brights for a few seconds, but the other rider wouldn't let it go so easily - he rode up dangerously close to the car (he could've reached out and touched it), then made his way around in front, and started making illegible hand signals to the cager).

I don't know if there is any effective way to communicate "Hey asshole, you obviously didn't see me cuz you almost ran me off the road, open your fucking eyes and use them!". Other than make everybody ride a motorcycle before they can get their car license.

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of scaring the crap out of... er... I mean "educating" a cager who didn't do a head check when he wanted to get into the fast lane. I saw it coming, and granted, I could've slowed down, but I wanted to remind him that he should be doing that head check whenever he changes lanes, so I gave him a healthy blast of my air-horn - he went back into the right lane so fast he almost started fish-tailing! lol
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

In all my years of riding I can't remember yelling/flipping off/cutting off anyone in traffic. Usually if I come up beside someone after they did something "stupid" in traffic I will just shake my head (literally). It don't really make any sense to me to waste my time getting angry with the driver and yell at or insult them. One of the first things riders learn is to ride like you are invisible to other drivers. You have to pay attention to everyone else around you because they most likely aren't paying attention to you. While in my car, I will always double check my area before merging/lane changing, turning right or left. It's a habit now since I do it so much while on the bike.

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Marc, this is an interesting and common-sense take on things but I disagree with one point here and it's a major one which makes most of the rest of the argument null and void. I don't believe that people drive completely with their head in the clouds and have no idea they made an error in judgement or made a mistake. Most people know when they fucked up. When they make an error and there are only cars around then it's no big deal as long as there was no metal on metal. The other driver gets pissed, they honk their horns, everyone goes in with their lives.

When it comes to making a mistake and a motorcycle is around however, that's when things get much more personal. We don't have the armor that they do, we don't have the inherent vehicle stability that they do. A mistake can mean our lives, or at least some pretty nasty injuries. Get pissed and give 'em the finger after they just almost took our life? Hell yeah, do what you got to do. It doesn't scare me into thinking they might take it out on me later if you do that. They know they screwed up and 99% of people will understand they deserved the salute.

I think it's much more important that when we ride around cars in the city and on the highway that we ride very defensively. Most of the close calls that I see when I'm riding with other motorcyclists is from riding too aggressively around cars. When I'm in "car territory" (in the city and on the highway) I give them full right of way and don't ride in blind spots and don't make a lot of sudden, fast maneuvers. When I'm in "motorcycle territory" (in the canyons and out in the middle of nowhere), then I ride more aggressively and if they don't want to get passed, they can suck it. I'm around them and out of sight within seconds and we'll never see each other again. I give them their due respect in their territory, they need to give me mine in my territory. Of course, they'll never get that or understand that, but it's what goes on in my head anyway. :-)

Good post to make us think though. There's never enough of that. The more we think about this stuff, the better decisions we make out there in "the jungle".

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider_9 View Post
    Where does that leave us?
    We can use the false evidence that appears real (judgement or victim) or be an observer and use tact while speaking with others.
    Ask a question while kindly informing the driver of what just occurred. (Did you see me?)

I have done this before, in the DTC area. The two guys in the car were respectful and appeared terrified of my calm and polite moment of contribution.
    On a side note, they could not pull forward or back up, because of traffic.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Here's the thing--if I'm riding and I make a mistake then I've increased my risk for injuring and/or killing myself.
    But, that's the risk of riding and I accept that possibility every time I ride.

However, If you are in a car and you make a mistake then you've just increased my risk of getting injured and/or killed with no commensurate risk to yourself.

So, now you have increased my risk factor out of your carelessness and inattention.

Does flipping you off help the situation? Probably not, but maybe if enough people do it you'll realize you're a fucking douchenozzle and you need to pay more attention when you drive...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    douchenozzle
    Consider this stolen.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    That's right Iceman, we are dangerous.
    Lol! Epic.... Might have to sig that one