Thread: Go Suzuki!

Go Suzuki!

Traction control on bikes is gay. I wonder if they will ever go back on their commitment to not do it?

"The limit is yours, not some computers."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bXU2PwNqe-4

Last edited by Ezzzzy1; Sat Apr 28th, 2012 at 07:41 AM.

Re: Go Suzuki!

They will never go back. Traction control = more money from the consumer and that is the bottom line for these motorcycle companies.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Quote Originally Posted by Cars-R-Coffins View Post
    They will never go back. Traction control = more money from the consumer and that is the bottom line for these motorcycle companies.
    Suzuki has said that they will NOT get into the electronic game... ie Traction control, launch control... and their riders are backing it. I think its bad ass that in a technology driven world these guys would rather "ride" the bike then have the bike ride them

They will sell regardless, 70-80% of people I hear on the street riding aspect absolutely hate traction control, all in all to each its own but the rider should have the choice to handle the bike to his riding style at all times, not some computer limiting your choices and abilities... hell why do you think drivers are becoming worse and worse? Because the car does everything short of cooking and cleaning your ass these days. If you need a car that parks itself, slows you down with the ICC system and all these other gadgets cause you "cant" do it out of common sense or just being lazy then you DO NOT belong on the road... I would hate to see motorcycling head 100% into that bs.

Have you guys ever had the pleasure of riding a tricked out GP style "Electronic" bike? i agree to each there own but all the models i have seen let you chose that right to have it off or on. ABS is standard in all cars and trucks because it works. traction control is nice to have for in inexperienced riders or for when you make a mistake. very very few riders can ride like Simon Crafar or even know what backing it in means. Luv both my Suzukis but this is a business more then a sport and it makes no sense why they wouldn't offer an electronic package WITH an option to turn them off if you so desire.

Quote Originally Posted by LordLosh View Post
    Have you guys ever had the pleasure of riding a tricked out GP style "Electronic" bike? i agree to each there own but all the models i have seen let you chose that right to have it off or on. ABS is standard in all cars and trucks because it works. traction control is nice to have for in inexperienced riders or for when you make a mistake. very very few riders can ride like Simon Crafar or even know what backing it in means. Luv both my Suzukis but this is a business more then a sport and it makes no sense why they wouldn't offer an electronic package WITH an option to turn them off if you so desire.
    ABS is on cars because it works better than the idots using it

I would say that it should be an option when bought. I dont want to pay $500 more for something I am not going to use and honestly who is going to use launch control and traction control? 5% of the riders?

I guess I have always liked my cars and bikes raw. No power steering etc... I feel more connected to it and more apart of the whole process. I dont like something else thinking for me!

Well what's funny is that even if they give you a switch to turn it off it's still partially active and I agree with EJ in the last of what he said in the end there.

i think its gay to not have it and due to lack of technology i am not considering either the gixxer or cbr when i go to throw down 15k on a new bike this year. TC and ABS make you faster and make you safer. embrace it.

but i completely understand the purity thoughts.

Josh Hayes won the last 2 years of AMA superbike with his R1 having (almost) no electronics. badass

When they put it on the bikes for sale to the public it becomes legal for supersport racing. ie slipper clutches.

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    They will sell regardless, 70-80% of people I hear on the street riding aspect absolutely hate traction control...
    There's a reason that 24%, or nearly 1 in 4, of ALL SPORTBIKES SOLD IN THE WORLD in 2010 were S1000RRs, and it wasn't because of the price...

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/bmw-s1000rr-top-selling-motorcycle-usa/
    http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/motorcycle_news/122_1110_2012_bmw_s_1000rr_first_look/index.html

Myself, like many, bought the bike for the ABS and traction control, and I love it, especially on the street. Just the other day I was in a residential area on a bright, sunny day, roads looked clean, but I made a turn at 30-35 MPH and before I could blink, the rear slipped on sand and the TC cut it back, bike continued the corner and stood right back up like nothing happened.

That, and with the ABS I can stop shorter than I'd ever imagined possible. There's a tilt gyro that adjusts the ABS to not only prevent locking, but also to prevent endos. Sure, I could spend weeks and week and weeks practicing perfect stops in every possible road condition on the street, trying to cut my emergency stopping distance down, which might still fail me if I hit a patch of sand or something unseen. Or, I can take advantage of the amazing technology on my bike which automatically adjusts to the road surface and still manage to stop 30-40 feet shorter, in any condition, every time. I can literally mash on my brakes at over 100 MPH and stop as fast as physically possible without flipping or skidding, on any road surface, with added confidence and little fear that the road is wetter/sandier/dryer than I might think.

TC and ABS systems will save lives and make better and more confident riders at any skill level, except maybe Rossi or one of them, who use TC and ABS anyway, and this goes 1000x on the street, where no amount of training and experience can prepare you for every unknown or unseen situation.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

What year(s) did the s1000rr not have TC? I thought from the beginning it had it.

I agree the electronics on that bike are amazing

S1000RR always had the TC and ABS, as an option, but BMW has reported that 95% of them ship with ABS and TC, because people want it. The bike was originally released in 2010, and for 2012 was finally updated. New engine map, numerous frame and body tweaks, and a number of changes to the TC and ABS to address issues people had with them being too limiting. Wheelie control is now smoother, etc. Also, there's a race programmer you can get from BMW that allows you to reprogram the modes as you see fit, and there's always the option to disable them individually, right on the handle bars.

In the '12 model, ABS is a $495 option, and the TC is another $495 option, and if you're active duty Military, there's a $1000 discount.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

ah ok optional, that makes more sense, thought u were saying there was none. I'd kill to take a few laps at HPR on one

Honestly I think they ought to play the game. And I think they're idiots for not playing.
    IMO, have an off switch for it that truly turns it off, but also have it so that it saves whatever mode it was in last so it doesn't piss everyone off and turn them off to your brand.

Personally if I could afford it, I'd be on a bike that has ABS and TC. Unless you're a WSB, MotoGP, F1, etc caliber of rider/driver, ABS and TC can and will out-react you any day of the week. When the first gen Honda CBR ABS came out I remember reading about a comparison they did versus a top WERA (?) racer. The ABS out-performed him in the wet and dry until he had almost 15 stops in, and then he only outperformed it by something like 2 feet from 60.

You don't need it sure, but I'd use it for the same reason I wear my gear, it's about risk management.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

So suzuki is going with the harley davidson plan keep selling the same old crap without any new developement and letting the competition bring the company to near bankruptcy if I was a suzuki fan id be pissed. Without new technology pushing the envelope bike design stays static traction control really doesnt help keep idiots from crashing them and its not designed to its real design is to make the bike quicker and isnt that the whole point of super bikes after having it on my duc I would never buy one without it it truley is a fantastic feature esspecialy at the track.