Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good non-range gun shooting spots?

Any good non-range gun shooting spots?

My wife just a bought a new Sig ACP and wants to go shoot it, but she doesn't feel very comfortable at a range yet (too many people, I guess) Anyway, is there a nice place that has a nice big back stop that I can take her too? Maybe a side of a mountain somewhere that someone knows of that's a legal spot.
    303-641-9004 Justin

Looking for a new home or selling a home?
    My wife can help!!
    Lindsey Juarez
    Keller Williams Preferred Realty
    (cell) 720-299-8040
    Find your new home today!
    http://lindseyjuarez.yourkwagent.com
    Follow me on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Linds...14046215460494

Gold Member

Re: Any good non-range gun shooting spots?

Just hit the mountains. Make it a day for sight seeing and find yourself your own little happy place. IF you want to drive all the way down here i know a few spots.

Deckers, Boulder, Keystone. Those are the only outdoor places I know of.

Yeah, I thought about just going up and see what I could find. That's almost always the way to go anyway.
    303-641-9004 Justin

Looking for a new home or selling a home?
    My wife can help!!
    Lindsey Juarez
    Keller Williams Preferred Realty
    (cell) 720-299-8040
    Find your new home today!
    http://lindseyjuarez.yourkwagent.com
    Follow me on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Linds...14046215460494

I find that my neighbors house makes a pretty nice backstop.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    I find that my neighbors house makes a pretty nice backstop.
    Haha

Come down to Rampart area, pick a place...just please pickup after yourself too many slobs out there. Also I bet the forest service starts closing some of those areas, looking like a mess with shot up trees and garbage everywhere.

Didn't they already close most (all?) of Rampart to shooting? I've had a really hard time finding specifics about where shooting is legal in the forests as the websites aren't great. I did find some info, and I know the places I posted the map to are legal (as of now).

Rampart Range road is legal to shoot along as long as you're outside of El Paso County. Technically unless you're on a range or private property, it's illegal to shoot inside of the county. Teller it's legal unless of course you're within city limits or 50 ft of a public road centerline.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

^ Then tell that too all the shooting spot/ people along Mt Herman but in El PAso County!!! I have a feeling your wrong here but I'm no expert.

Talked to a Forest Ranger yesterday while stopped coming back from a ride. He HATES the shooters along Mt Herman, the trash and the shot down trees. He said he loves writing tickets for trash, and trees but the real issue he said is the night time shooting that happens and will always happen as they for the most part are a 9-5 organization and the cops don't care to get involved with what goes on up there unless there is a death.

Had to Double check my FS map. Yep, all the areas people shoot around MT Herman is in El Paso county. Just drive up MT Herman and PICK a spot. You will SEE the spots as they stand out like a sore thumb.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Just hope on up to Wyoming pull over an start shootin they don't give a flying fzork.

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    ^ Then tell that too all the shooting spot/ people along Mt Herman but in El PAso County!!! I have a feeling your wrong here but I'm no expert.
    Although recreational shooting is generally permitted in the National Forest there are exceptions and conditions. The exceptions are normally outlined in Special Orders. In this case, Special Order 91-08 prohibits recreation/target shooting in all of El Paso County including the area west of Monument. You can obtain a map from us that shows you exactly where these restrictions apply. The best alternative area for recreation/target shooting west of Monument is off Mt. Herman Road and down Forest Development Road (FDR) 322A. This area is located in Teller County approximately six miles from Red Rocks Ranch Road. The other common sense conditions are as follows: (1) you cannot discharge a firearm in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area (2) you cannot discharge a firearm across or on a Forest Development road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge (3) you cannot discharge a firearm into or within any cave. PLEASE familiarize yourself with Colorado State law regarding possessing and transporting firearms.
    Referenced from this page

Interesting seeing as its acceptable to shoot off Mt Herman Rd. Also shooting off FR315, FR314, FR322, FR323, FR324, FR312, FR319, FR320.D, FR320.B FR320.A is acceptable.

Even I have shot off of MT Herman Rd and see daily people in El Paso County off of the other areas shoot. All those are in El Paso County per the FS map.

That does support what I said "The best alternative area for recreation/target shooting west of Monument is off Mt. Herman Road". Mt Herman Rd is part of Rampart Range area and is in El Paso County.

How old is that? FR322A does not exist per the MVUM...LOL FR322 goes down to Palmer reservoir. Where the heck is Red Rocks Range Rd, I'm looking everywhere on the MVUM and see nothing. I see where Red Rocks is in Teller County north of Woodland Park.

You can see Rampart Range Rd is in El Paso County (FR300), MT Herman is FR320. I'm trying to understand what you posted Wrider.

I'm not sure where everything is, and honestly it's past my bedtime so no more researching for now, but the basics are that anywhere in National Forest within El Paso County, it's illegal to shoot. I know a lot of people do it illegally, and hell I have before, but it's technically illegal.

I'm also thinking you have an older map, and that 322 extends into Teller County now, which is where they're saying to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    I'm not sure where everything is, and honestly it's past my bedtime so no more researching for now, but the basics are that anywhere in National Forest within El Paso County, it's illegal to shoot. I know a lot of people do it illegally, and hell I have before, but it's technically illegal.

I'm also thinking you have an older map, and that 322 extends into Teller County now, which is where they're saying to go.
    Nope newer map, I ride every single route a few times a month...its my play yard if you will. FR322 does go to Palmer Lake but is gated due to them not wanting you to drive near the reservoir. It is located in El Paso County and your quote says Teller...nothing over in that area either with FR322A (My map is 2010, which is the newest one for Pikes Peak Ranger District) Here it is online: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5177645.pdf

If it was illegal then I'm surprised Tom Healy would not get the El Paso SD to shut it down as they hate what has been going on in terms of the shooting and the trash. Shut down the shooting and the trash will not be there at least as bad. (still have bad campers leaving shit around) Mark Leeper who gave me Tom's name/card on Sunday did not say shooting was illegal, in fact he was upset that the lower Rampart area closed driving people to come out. Maybe if I get a minute I'll call the Sheriffs office and see if its legal or not legal and if not legal then why are they allowing it!!! Maybe I'll even call Tom Healy at 719-636-1602
    Last edited by modette99; Tue May 1st, 2012 at 11:08 AM.

I see they have a contact so I emailed them the El Paso SD. Provided link to the FS site that states that.

I bet the FS site is outdated. Because as you drive up Mt Herman Rd there are little signs that say No shooting next 5 miles (whatever it is), and driving down also signs that say "No shooting beyond this point"...which implies your okay to shoot before that point....LOL

In for info!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I see they have a contact so I emailed them the El Paso SD. Provided link to the FS site that states that.

I bet the FS site is outdated. Because as you drive up Mt Herman Rd there are little signs that say No shooting next 5 miles (whatever it is), and driving down also signs that say "No shooting beyond this point"...which implies your okay to shoot before that point....LOL
    Awesome, I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight here, sorry if my posts earlier came off rude, at 10 this morning I'd been up since 4 PM Monday afternoon lol. Twas bedtime for sure. Definitely in for info though!

Bought 20lb of Tannerite last week.

Busy the next few weekends but we should get a group together and go blow some shit up!

Edit: aaaand I have a new AR that needs to get broken in

Last edited by Ezzzzy1; Tue May 1st, 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Come down to Rampart area, pick a place...just please pickup after yourself too many slobs out there. Also I bet the forest service starts closing some of those areas, looking like a mess with shot up trees and garbage everywhere.

Talked to a Forest Ranger yesterday while stopped coming back from a ride. He HATES the shooters along Mt Herman, the trash and the shot down trees. He said he loves writing tickets for trash, and trees but the real issue he said is the night time shooting that happens and will always happen as they for the most part are a 9-5 organization and the cops don't care to get involved with what goes on up there unless there is a death.

Had to Double check my FS map. Yep, all the areas people shoot around MT Herman is in El Paso county. Just drive up MT Herman and PICK a spot. You will SEE the spots as they stand out like a sore thumb.
    Interesting seeing as its acceptable to shoot off Mt Herman Rd. Also shooting off FR315, FR314, FR322, FR323, FR324, FR312, FR319, FR320.D, FR320.B FR320.A is acceptable.

Even I have shot off of MT Herman Rd and see daily people in El Paso County off of the other areas shoot. All those are in El Paso County per the FS map.

That does support what I said "The best alternative area for recreation/target shooting west of Monument is off Mt. Herman Road". Mt Herman Rd is part of Rampart Range area and is in El Paso County.

How old is that? FR322A does not exist per the MVUM...LOL FR322 goes down to Palmer reservoir. Where the heck is Red Rocks Range Rd, I'm looking everywhere on the MVUM and see nothing. I see where Red Rocks is in Teller County north of Woodland Park.

You can see Rampart Range Rd is in El Paso County (FR300), MT Herman is FR320. I'm trying to understand what you posted Wrider.
    Nope newer map, I ride every single route a few times a month...its my play yard if you will. FR322 does go to Palmer Lake but is gated due to them not wanting you to drive near the reservoir. It is located in El Paso County and your quote says Teller...nothing over in that area either with FR322A (My map is 2010, which is the newest one for Pikes Peak Ranger District) Here it is online: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5177645.pdf

If it was illegal then I'm surprised Tom Healy would not get the El Paso SD to shut it down as they hate what has been going on in terms of the shooting and the trash. Shut down the shooting and the trash will not be there at least as bad. (still have bad campers leaving shit around) Mark Leeper who gave me Tom's name/card on Sunday did not say shooting was illegal, in fact he was upset that the lower Rampart area closed driving people to come out. Maybe if I get a minute I'll call the Sheriffs office and see if its legal or not legal and if not legal then why are they allowing it!!! Maybe I'll even call Tom Healy at 719-636-1602

LOL, I just had to do it..

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

All joking aside,

to the OP if you really want to find some land to shoot. Just look up local BLM Land(i.e. a National Forest) as most of those places have plenty of land and you can shoot just about anywhere on them. I'd also advise against shooting into and destroying another tree, but find a nice dirt berm as a backstop. Nothing stops bullets like Earth.

p.s.
    that's right, I doubled posted.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

There is a range up here you could go to? It's secluded with separate firing " booths". There is hardly anyone there, and you can hang targets every 50yds. It's just outside Hot Sulpher past Byers canyon. It's a really nice drive/ride as well. Pm me if you got questions
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I'd also advise against shooting into and destroying another tree, but find a nice dirt berm as a backstop.
    It's actually against the law to shoot the trees, or even to affix targets to trees. I shoot in the BLM land behind Mt Herman a lot. I've seen several times where the rangers will drive by and hand out $100 tickets to people who they saw either shooting at trees or simply having targets stapled to trees. One guy had three targets stapled to a single tree. That was a $300 ticket right there.

I have quite a few free-standing steel targets that I use, as well as biodegradable clay pigeons, and I use a wood pallet to staple my targets to when sighting in new optics.