Thread: Dogs are scared of weird things

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Dogs are scared of weird things

I know of a dog that was scared of me when I wore my hat and when I would take it off the dog would come right to me.

Since we've gotten our husky she has been very very sketchy with me, it was bad enough she would avoid me at all cost as if something was scaring her about me. Been keeping my hat off and even tried to bribe her with human food but it was bad enough to where she wouldn't even take that from me!

We went out and took her with us to get some other human interaction and see if she was just scared of males in general, when at the pet store she would walk right up to other men and let them pet her, then it dawned on me the men she was going to didn't have beards not did her owner but here I am with a pretty good sized beard going on and she is terrified of me.

Needless to say I shaved the beard and she started taking more interest in me, she let me pet her more and even took a cracker from me, all of this in one day so hopefully as the week progresses she gets more comfortable with me.

Dogs can be extremely interesting some times lemme tell ya!

Gold Member

Re: Dogs are scared of weird things

Stop kicking her after posting on csc. Jk. No my pit had issues with sunglasses for a while. Took a while to get him used to them. Definitely not as hard to deal with as something like you had but she will come around.

It's pretty common for dogs to be scared of males. It's because you're the alpha dog.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

My husky Kali hated my motorcycle helmet, if I came in the house with it on she'd give her "intruder" chuff-bark and keep her distance until I took it off and then she'd calm down & come over to me. But, until her dying day she never liked the helmet and even if it was just sitting on the table she'd give it nervous looks and try to skirt around until I put it away.

Dogs are odd.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

My sister's black lab knows the sounds of my vehicles, and always gets real excited when I walk in. One day I hadn't taken the helmet off and I was REALLY glad I hadn't taken the leather jacket off either. The dog latched onto my arm!

This same bad ass dog is cowering under the kitchen table right now, even though she'd normally be begging like mad for the burgers we're eating. It's not even raining, or thundering bad, but every once in awhile there is a massive flash.

They are odd for sure.

Water... My dog is terrified of water. Start spraying a hose and she's on the other side of the yard, turn on the shower and she's on the opposite floor. Take her for a walk with a wet sidewalk and she'll skirt around it. Let her outside when it's raining/snowing, she'll look at it from whatever dry confines she can find, and shake as if she's drying off.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Smoke detectors - ours beeped last night and our aussie mutt jumped onto the bed and tried to wedge himself between us. He's also skittish around males. If I am sitting or laying down he'll approach and be petted, but often he will be submissive when I am standing. Of course no such shyness when he's hungry!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

It isn't just dogs, babies/little ones have some of those same issues. When my sister was little she was scared of men with beards. No one around her much had a beard, my father has never had one that I know of and I couldn't grow one at the time (she is almost 12 years younger than me). My uncle came into town for the holidays one time with a beard and she wouldn't go near him unlike before when she saw him sans beard.

This thread had hope for taking a turn and being amazingly funny after I read the part about the dog going to other men. So I continued to read, and found it never got funny. Please fix.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    This thread had hope for taking a turn and being amazingly funny after I read the part about the dog going to other men. So I continued to read, and found it never got funny. Please fix.
    You are a law enforcement officer and I have not read a single damn funny story from you, please fix.

That's so cool that you found out what was causing it. Helmets are obvious, which I understand, but never heard of fearing males with beards.

Did the ownership history include any bearded guys? Wonder if he mistreated (even just verbally) your Husky at some point in the past.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

It was probably because you wear those mohawks on your helmet

j/k

I volunteered for a mill rescue a few years ago and some of the dogs didn't like baseball caps and others were just afraid of men in general. In those cases they come from these puppy mills where they are abused and neglected.

Puppy mills are a huge industry for the Amish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    My husky Kali hated my motorcycle helmet, if I came in the house with it on she'd give her "intruder" chuff-bark and keep her distance until I took it off and then she'd calm down & come over to me. But, until her dying day she never liked the helmet and even if it was just sitting on the table she'd give it nervous looks and try to skirt around until I put it away.

Dogs are odd.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Puppy mills are a huge industry for the Amish.
    Interesting and sad, never knew that.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I had a dog (Dashound mutt) that wasn't afraid of anything. She especially hated anyone in a uniform. Dog lived to 22 years. Lost an eye to a badger and was runover by a car when it was younger. I used to take her riding with me and she actually liked to climb ladders.

My Boarder collies didn't like gun shots or thunder but that was about it.

I had a Husky/Sheppard mix that was afraid of the dog catcher and knew who he was.