Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossi to Retire...

Rossi to Retire...

Wow. (article text pasted below in case it disappears by morning)

Rossi, whose contract with Ducati expires at the end of 2012, said in January that he wished to pen a two-year extension.

That piece of paper remains unsigned, however, while speculation linking him with a return to Yamaha or Honda, either as part of a factory or satellite team, is understood to be no more than that.

Rossi has experienced a humbling 18 months since teaming up with Ducati in a match initially billed as made in heaven; the marriage of a genuine global superstar with the famous Italian marque.

But he finished last year without a win for the first time in his career and lies ninth in the standings this term; the pace of his bike way off that of the Japanese outfits.

“The Doctor”, as he is known to his fans around the world, managed a seventh place at Estoril on Sunday, having qualified ninth, which was seen as a decent result, a sign of how far expectations have fallen.

Much hope is being pinned on a new engine, which was due to be trialled in Portugal on Monday, only for the first in-season test to be rained off.
    But a sudden turnaround in form remains far from unlikely. Ducati, which has just been bought by Audi, does not have the budget to improve the bike sufficiently to bring it closer to the front-runners. The race team is largely funded by Ferrari sponsors Philip Morris, but is said to be already over budget this year.

Privately it is felt by Rossi’s closest friends and advisers that now is the time to retire, before any lasting damage is done either to his reputation or more worryingly, himself.

At 33, the skills which carried him to nine world titles, including seven in the premier class, are on the wane and he is reportedly still being hampered by long-standing injuries.

Only his pride, and the thought that he could miraculously find himself back on a winning bike, have kept him from throwing in the towel already.

But The Daily Telegraph understands that Rossi has now told his inner circle — his father, Graziano and his manager, Davide Brivio — that he will not race beyond this year. His decision may have been influenced by the likely departure this winter of his legendary chief engineer and mentor, Australian Jerry Burgess, for personal reasons.

As one of the most high profile sportsmen on the planet, Rossi’s marketability remains as high as ever. He is unlikely to go before the two American races at Laguna Seca in July and Indianapolis in August. Then there is San Marino and the chance to race one more time at Misano. By then it is only a couple of months until the end of the season.

Rossi, who set competitive times when testing for Ferrari a few years ago, is believed to want to try his hand at various four-wheel pursuits. Rallying and sports cars remain an option.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...is-season.html

Re: Rossi to Retire...

Interesting, well regardless of his decision you sir are still the shit Rossi!

Already an update on crash.net he's denying rumor

silly season's no longer seasonal...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    silly season's no longer seasonal...
    Well, as with any high-profile star in any sport or acting, the silly season is year-'round. I'd like to see Ducati win another with him.....before he goes to Ferrari!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Rumors will fly like political opinions on the CSC, until after the mid season break, when contracts are announced.

I would love to see him race F1. Or even better, have Bayliss and Rossi race WSBK next year. That is what's called a racegasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Rumors will fly like political opinions on the CSC, until after the mid season break, when contracts are announced.
    If only political opinions had a mid-season break on the CSC.

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    I would love to see him race F1. Or even better, have Bayliss and Rossi race WSBK next year. That is what's called a racegasm.
    I'd be up for seeing a "grudge match", but i don't think Rossi should do WSB. I don't think he'd like it, and he'd (and most) would think of it as a step down. If nothing else, retire and drive F1 or Rally cars.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    I think he's too old to jump into F1 and do anything other than make an appearance.

Plus, he seems to be leaning towards rally--or so it seems in various comments from random articles over the past year or two.

Then it wouldn't be CSC

-=-

I think he's just not signing with Ducati until/unless the bike improves, I think he's leaving himself the option to jump to a Honda or Yamaha to finish out his career with a few more wins and a championship run.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Rossi, who set competitive times when testing for Ferrari a few years ago, is believed to want to try his hand at various four-wheel pursuits. Rallying and sports cars remain an option.
    Interesting. Wonder how the rumor plays out...
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I don't think that's a true article. Just a couple days ago he was quoted after a race saying he wanted to extend his contract with Ducati pending the new developmental engine in the the latter part of the championship.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    I don't think that's a true article. Just a couple days ago he was quoted after a race saying he wanted to extend his contract with Ducati pending the new developmental engine in the the latter part of the championship.
    I think the reality isn't that Rossi has made one decision or another - or that the story is 100% real or fake - rather that the situtation is a fluid one that Rossi is evaluating as the season progresses.

The problem is - the Ducati is not evolving as he'd hoped. On the flip side, it's been made pretty clear that there's really no room for him on any other factory teams, unless Yamaha dumps Spies (which I don't see them doing).

Do I think Rossi has considered retirement? Sure, he's no spring chicken. Did he possibly tell a friend or "insider" that he may retire after the 2012 season? I'm sure it's possible that conversation occured. However, it was probably in the context of "if the Ducati still sucks" and "I can't get a ride on a competitive factory squad" - he may bail.

I mean, if the Duc is still 60seconds back come October, and Yamaha and Honda tell him to piss off - what are his options?

He's probably wondering the same damn thing.

I think the reality isn't that Rossi has made one decision or another - or that the story is 100% real or fake - rather that the situtation is a fluid one that Rossi is evaluating as the season progresses.

The problem is - the Ducati is not evolving as he'd hoped. On the flip side, it's been made pretty clear that there's really no room for him on any other factory teams, unless Yamaha dumps Spies (which I don't see them doing).

Do I think Rossi has considered retirement? Sure, he's no spring chicken. Did he possibly tell a friend or "insider" that he may retire after the 2012 season? I'm sure it's possible that conversation occured. However, it was probably in the context of "if the Ducati still sucks" and "I can't get a ride on a competitive factory squad" - he may bail.

I mean, if the Duc is still 60seconds back come October, and Yamaha and Honda tell him to piss off - what are his options?

He's probably wondering the same damn thing.
    He's no spring chicken, but I don't think he burned the bridges at either Honda or Yamaha. Yes, he left, but Stoner left Honda and now he's back. Happens all the time. I'd like to see the Duc win with rossi on board, if not, and he doesn't get a good ride, he should just retire and enjoy life. Maybe do the F1 or rally gig. I tend to agree with Ghost that he MIGHT be a little long in tooth to go to F1......but then Nigel Mansell was kinda old too, and so is Schumacher, so who knows? He DOES have a lot of car driving talent, but in F1, there are the "aliens" just like in MotoGP, so he'd have to fight them.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    He's no spring chicken, but I don't think he burned the bridges at either Honda or Yamaha. Yes, he left, but Stoner left Honda and now he's back. Happens all the time. I'd like to see the Duc win with rossi on board, if not, and he doesn't get a good ride, he should just retire and enjoy life. Maybe do the F1 or rally gig. I tend to agree with Ghost that he MIGHT be a little long in tooth to go to F1......but then Nigel Mansell was kinda old too, and so is Schumacher, so who knows? He DOES have a lot of car driving talent, but in F1, there are the "aliens" just like in MotoGP, so he'd have to fight them.
    Honda straight up said Rossi is not welcome back because of statements made in his biography. Rossi left Yamaha because he was no longer going to be the #1 rider on the team. I do not think he will be welcomed back by either one of those teams unless it's by satellite. He needs to be careful at Ducati. At the time of him leaving Yamaha and Honda, he did not foresee himself ever needing to cross those bridges again. I believe he burned them. More so at Honda

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

I also think Rossi will sign with Ducati for one more season after this. As crazy as it sounds. With Spies... He is surely a viable candidate to be replaced. Especially with the satellite's placing better consistently.
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Wed May 9th, 2012 at 03:29 PM.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    Honda straight up said Rossi is not welcome back because of statements made in his biography. Rossi left Yamaha because he was no longer going to be the #1 rider on the team. I do not think he will be welcomed back by either one of those teams unless it's by satellite. He needs to be careful at Ducati. At the time of him leaving Yamaha and Honda, he did not foresee himself ever needing to cross those bridges again. I believe he burned them. More so at Honda
    Hmmm, i didn't read his biography. Interesting, but I can;t believe he would not be the lead rider @ Yamaha unless Jorge was beating him badly on a regular basis, which he wasn't. Now, Rossi may have wanted preferrential treatment, which might have been the case, but it would never be the case of him being #2.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Hmmm, i didn't read his biography. Interesting, but I can;t believe he would not be the lead rider @ Yamaha unless Jorge was beating him badly on a regular basis, which he wasn't. Now, Rossi may have wanted preferrential treatment, which might have been the case, but it would never be the case of him being #2.

I believe the story is that Rossi was asking to much money from Yamaha, and Yamaha did not want to invest in him when they saw Lorenzo being just as capable of a rider to win as Rossi. Given Lorenzo's age he was able to contend longer. Yamaha wanted to invest the money and time more into Lorenzo rather than Rossi in the latter part of his time with that factory. So that opened up to a ride with Ducati.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

"i vow max biaggi will never win another WSBK race again"

that would be classic.

I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen--including Rossi.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Rossi to DTM
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

I heard Rossi's going to be an astronaut......CONFIRMED, Rossi signs 4 year deal with private investors in cooperation with previous NASA officials. Wow.
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Wed May 9th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Things will get really interesting if Burgess leaves!

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69