Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rossi to Retire...

Re: Rossi to Retire...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen--including Rossi.
    Agreed.

I also think the biggest unknown - with respect to Rossi's performance - is how Simoncelli's death has impacted him. Rossi has seen his fair share of racing incidents, but to be the guy that ran over your friend and countryman's head - directly contributing to his death - has to be some type of mindf*ck that I can't even fathom. Yes, Rossi is/was the king of sportsmanship psycho-outs... but we all have our breaking point.

The fact that Rossi is still out there pushing the limits, and only a second or less behind Stoner, is mind-boggling to me. However, I think (and this is just my Monday morning quarterbacking here) the majority of his performance issues are psychological. And only time will tell if he can fully recover.

Here's one race fan hoping that he does.

Re: Rossi to Retire...

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    Agreed.

I also think the biggest unknown - with respect to Rossi's performance - is how Simoncelli's death has impacted him. Rossi has seen his fair share of racing incidents, but to be the guy that ran over your friend and countryman's head - directly contributing to his death - has to be some type of mindf*ck that I can't even fathom. Yes, Rossi is/was the king of sportsmanship psycho-outs... but we all have our breaking point.

The fact that Rossi is still out there pushing the limits, and only a second or less behind Stoner, is mind-boggling to me. However, I think (and this is just my Monday morning quarterbacking here) the majority of his performance issues are psychological. And only time will tell if he can fully recover.

Here's one race fan hoping that he does.
    I definitely think Simo's death has to be weighing on him emotionally and psychologically, but he has also had a number of fairly hard physical injuries, and it may all be combining with his efforts to ride an "unwinnable" bike that are ultimately taking their toll and (potentially) pushing him towards a decision--whatever that ends up being we'll have to see.

Though, fwiw, if he does decide to quit not only can I not blame him, I hope he finds a rewarding career in Rally or F1 or whatever he chooses.

BUT, unlike Micheal Jordan, I hope that IF he decides to hang up his leathers that he simply moves on and doesn't look back...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson