Thread: Evans Waterless Coolant

Evans Waterless Coolant

Anyone use this?

http://www.evanscooling.com/
    John
    KTM Duke 690

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Yeah it's great stuff I use it on my Italians and no bs they run 10degree cooler. Never tried it in any of my jap bikes "never had a heat problem" with them

Increases your fuel economy by 10%, how? Never heard of it. Any real-world temperature tests (not company or Leno sponsored), where they test apples to apples, using identical motors back to back, but with various coolants?
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

1. [QUOTE]How does Evans Waterless Heavy Duty Coolant save fuel? In spark ignition engines Evans Waterless Heavy Duty Coolant saves fuel by better control of metal temperatures and the avoidance of hot spots. The consequent reduction of knock permits more efficient spark settings on engines having electronic controls with knock sensing inputs. In heavy duty engines having on-off fan clutches, the “on” temperature can be increased to 230° F, keeping the fan off a large percentage of the time and reducing a significant source of parasitic drag.[/QUOTE

Based on their website, it has a much higher boiling point than normal coolant. They're claiming in high performance engines, you'll get local boiling which leads to hot spots which leads to earlier ignition timing to prevent denotation. I wouldn't think that in any stock production engines that this would be an issue. They do extensive testing on the cooling system to prevent these very problems.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Increases your fuel economy by 10%, how? Never heard of it. Any real-world temperature tests (not company or Leno sponsored), where they test apples to apples, using identical motors back to back, but with various coolants?
    Yeah, I looked for data too, and found none. I remain skeptical with all their claims.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I remain skeptical that Jay "The Chin" Leno gets all his money legally.

*jealous*
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I remain skeptical that Jay "The Chin" Leno gets all his money legally.

*jealous*

He made between $20 Million and $30 Million per year just from hosting Tonight and Leno...plus whatever he gets from selling cocaine and/or EWC.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    He made between $20 Million and $30 Million per year just from hosting Tonight and Leno...plus whatever he gets from selling cocaine and/or EWC.
    Yeah I was just foolin' around. I know he makes megabucks just from the Tonight Show, no need for blow, lol. What's EWC?

I have tried it. The trick is to make sure you have absolutely no water, antifreeze... nothing left for this to stick properly (maybe drain and dry it for a few days first). I didn't see a marked change (1-2F) better than good antifreeze can provide. My only option is to go ceramic coating next to keep heat down on the APE. That ain't happening soon

I've got half a gallon left if you want to swing by and use it John
    Last edited by sprtbkbabe; Wed May 9th, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Also would like to know how this compares with just regular coolant plus Redline "WaterWetter" or RoyalPurple "PurpleIce" additives. Wonder if they do the same thing?...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    I have tried it. The trick is to make sure you have absolutely no water, antifreeze... nothing left for this to stick properly (maybe drain and dry it for a few days first). I didn't see a marked change (1-2F) better than good antifreeze can provide. My only option is to go ceramic coating next to keep heat down on the APE. That ain't happening soon

I've got half a gallon left if you want to swing by and use it John
    1-2deg F is statistically irrelevant. Running just distilled water should drop your temps a little bit, since if I remember correctly water conducts heat better than ethylene or propylene glycol anyways.

Like I said I don't see any real data to back up the claims. And besides, would you REALLY trust some guy with a chin like that????
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Board Newbie

It still has glycol so it isn't good for the track. That's all I want is something which is track-safe and still works as anti-freeze. Swapping my coolant twice a year so I can do track days is a hassle. I don't believe the 10% horsepower increase for a second either.
    -------------------------
    2008 Yamaha FZ1

My bikes don't overheat, so not the appeal for me. However, corrosion resistance is a big appeal and the fact that the stuff is good for the life of the engine. Might take you up on that Siobhan.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by TheShark View Post
    It still has glycol so it isn't good for the track. That's all I want is something which is track-safe and still works as anti-freeze. Swapping my coolant twice a year so I can do track days is a hassle. I don't believe the 10% horsepower increase for a second either.
    Yep. This is why I need a dedicated track bike again. When this was posted I was hoping it was a glycol alternative, not just another glycol-based product. Oh well.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson