Thread: Happy Medium tire, Street/touring

Question Happy Medium tire, Street/touring

Hello CSC.

I am planning to get my Iron Butt this summer, along with my ma and pops on a basically cross-country ride. We'll be heading to the midwest, and that trip alone is around 3200miles round trip.

What Im wondering, is which rear tires you fellas would recommend? I do a fair amount of touring/highway riding with the bike being as I work in the boons and have around a 60 mile a day commute with it, but on the weekends and when I can i go into the mountains and ride in the canyons, so at the same time I like twisties and need a tire that will be grippy enough for "spirited" riding through canyons and the probable track days, yet durable enough to last me more than a couple thousand miles. Im certain a multi-compound would be my best bet, just curious as to what you guys are using/would recommend.

I've heard good things about the Pilots, and have personally been looking into the Metzeler M3, but other than that Im open to suggestions.

The bike is a 2002 Yamaha FZ1, if that makes a difference to you fellers.

Thanks in advance, have a good one!

-Jake
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

YOURE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD!

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Re: Happy Medium tire, Street/touring

Pilot Road 2/3
    Pirelli Angel ST

Cant go wrong with either one.
    I have the Pirelli ST's on my CBR1000RR, and when warmed up will stick good enough to drag knee from Paonia to the top of McClure Pass.

Just make sure you get them warm before being aggressive, as there is always a compromise for longevity/grip.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Right on, thanks. I've been reading the reviews on both since I saw your post, most people tend to agree with you, with a few of the guys seeing over 8K miles on a set. Not too shabby!

Definitely have me leaning a bit more towards them now.
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

I have the Pilot Power 2ct's on my gixxer 1k and so far I love them, the rear is shot in the middle from lots of commuting but has over 6000 miles on it now, and around 20/30 runs down the drag strip in which I do a burnout prior to running, so I'm sure with some more conservative riding you could get even more life out of these. The sides on the rear are still so good that I've been ripping up the mountains a few times a week and they still have just as good grip in the corners as when they were new so thats also a plus.. Now that being said, for a cross country trip I would deffinatly recomend the Power Roads from Mich, way better wet weather grip (and I'm gonna assume your gonna get your fair share of that on a long ride), and with the 2ct technology I'm sure they'll be more than enough for you in the twisties as well. I'm actually strongly considering getting these for my next set simply because I do ride so much on the slab to get to the good roads and I ride my bike every day that its not snowing. Be sure to take lots of pics for us on your trip as well!
    -Mick-
    1990 White/Black Eagle Talon TSi: The "Caged" cage.. 792hp/623tq- 9.98@144.77mph
    2008 Yamaha R1 Raven: 10.7@134 - DNA race air filter, Gutted cats and modded factory cans, -2 front sprocket!
    2007 Yellow/Grey GSXR1000: 11.24@143.4mph- Stolen... Me sad panda...

Right on Mick, thanks! I JUST purchased the Pilot Road 2, cost me $133 through bikebandit.com with the Dairyland discount and it being tire tuesday. Couldnt pass it up! And I know you ride yours everywhere Mick, and prob about like I do to(Im Jake Jake, I.E. GVR4, Honda, etc Jake). Appreciate the feedback though, sir!

Willdo on the pics too, It's beautiful where were going. Lots of trees, nice roads/etc. Im pretty stoked. Also planning on going to Laguna or Texas next summer for the GP races too (hint hint).

Thanks again fellas!

-Jake
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

Another vote for the Pilot Road 3. I got about 12000 out of my last one which admittedly was mostly commuting but when I did take it up in the canyons it worked great.

slabbing will kill the Pilot power. I'm much happier with Pilot road as a commuting tire.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I ran Dunlop's D220 on my ZX12 and loved them. Good mileage, excellent wet grip, and just a great all round tire. I even did a track day in the rain with them. Its a great alternative to the Michelins.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

The consensus seems to be PR2 or PR3. I spooned a set of PR2s on the Viffer for my ride to Durango next month, they should work out great.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Im pretty excited. Should see it in a few days, and i'll get it mounted and have my own review up shortly after, im sure. Allthough everything ive read on them only helps cement my thoughts that i made a good decision. We shall see!
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

did you take them out yet? im looking for a tire just like that so i can do some distant riding this summer too
    "On my steel horse I ride"
    2013 CBR1000RR, 20769 Miles

Nope, just ordered it a few hours ago....
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675