Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for you gun nuts

Question for you gun nuts

OK, so I am not one of the pro gun lobby. Neither am I anti gun. I have shot guns, I may own a gun or two, I have nothing against them really. However, I have noticed some of you on here are very, very pro gun. You think you MUST have a gun to defend your self and the government ABSOLUTELY is trying to take it away. I tend to shy away from absolutes myself and think that unless you have a job that requires concealed carry (money transfer, repo, that sort of thing) that you don't NEED a gun with you at all times.

Case in point: who the hell needs to keep their gun with them when they mow their lawn? What, has C-springs become so ghetto that someone will jump you while you cut grass and you need to defend yourself with a gun? Moron.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20...ing?source=rss

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.—A Colorado Springs man is recovering after he dropped his gun and it went off while he was mowing his lawn. Police say the man had a loaded handgun in his pocket on Sunday when it fell out, struck the sidewalk and discharged. The bullet hit the victim's lower leg.

Read more: Man shot after dropping gun while mowing - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20...#ixzz1vW4Y5kZa
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
    Last edited by Filo; Mon May 21st, 2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Added the article for those who don't want to go
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Re: Question for you gun nuts

many people put it on at the beginning of the day like underwear and take it off at the end. It's not about evaluating your activity to take it on and off several times a day.

Didn't read the specifics of your article, just answering the question in general.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

The short answer is "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

Try watching the I.D. or Biography network sometimes. They had one this weekend where a male firefighter and female cop were starting to date. They were at his mother's house with his mother, aunt, female cousin, and her 2 kids.

He was walking her out to her car and she put her gun and bullet proof vest away. They're on the sidewalk in front of their house when they're accosted by 2 urban yutes with guns(if Obama had 2 sons, they'd look like these guys). As it played out, they terrorized the family. Made the cousin, just home from the hospital, carry this huge tv downstairs. It wouldn't be worth $50 at a pawn shop.

They got the family together and the cop figured they were all about to executed. She charged one guy and they started shooting. Cousin died, guy had bullet lodged in his throat at his spine, cop shot in chest 5 times. She ended up not being able to return to the force.

The whole time, the cop was just saying to herself "how do I get to my gun".
    You wanna know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you realize I'm in command.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post

Try watching the I.D. or Biography network sometimes.
    I don't watch TV. I don't find it adds anything to my life and it gives me a skewed view of reality. It goes way back to like 1999 when I was watching the news and they were going on breathlessly and panicky about this huge meningitis outbreak in Denver. Turns out it was 2 cases, unrelated, one bacterial one viral. I thought "what tosh" and changed the channel. It was COPS. I cancelled my cable subscription the next day and haven't had it since. TV exists to sell advertising. They tell stories that make you outraged or scared or anxious. I don't need that in my life, so I don't watch it. Sorry.

I am 43. I have lived in good and bad neighborhoods. I have been in riots. I have had a gun pointed at me twice in anger. I have been robbed once. I have never felt like having a gun at those times would have been a good thing. I try not to live in fear of what may be.
    Last edited by Filo; Mon May 21st, 2012 at 09:13 AM.

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

this thread is starting to sound like being baited into a gun debate....
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

ITT liberal sneakily attempts to poorly bait conservatives into a gun debate.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Mowing the lawn, lol. If that round hit a playing kid in the neighborhood and killed him/her, this guy would need to spend life in prison, I think.

IMHO if you have a CCW and you live in a neighborhood that is really that rough (ghetto Springs, haha), and you're that much of a paranoid yokel in the middle of the daytime in your neighborhood, then effing strap it in a holster, not your pocket, DUMBASS! Lemme guess, you have some loose shorts, bent over to change your grass bag, and plop, bang! Unfortunately these are the types that give the 2nd-Amend opposition more fuel.

P.S. I'm an NRA member, gun owner, pro guns but not a "gun nut", pro 2nd-Amend, BUT USE COMMON SENSE, AND PROPERLY & THOROUGHLY ENFORCE EXISTING LAWS. Don't create useless new ones (DC, Chicago, etc. handgun bans, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    ITT liberal.
    What's "ITT"?
    Last edited by Ghosty; Mon May 21st, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    this thread is starting to sound like being baited into a gun debate....
    Nope, not by me, although I can see your point re-reading it. As I said, I have owned guns and may even currently own them (I tend not to advertise my gun status on public websites).

I just think it is ironic - the man presumable was worried for his safety, so he carries a gun which he shoots him self with. Who keeps a concealed carry in his pocket instead of in a holster? edit - it seems Ghosty beat me to the irony.

And Zach - I told you I am old - what is ITT? Also, I think you would have to lump me in with the Libertarians, not a liberal...

and so the answer to the question is this (and as already said by Rhino);

Can't speak specifically for the guy in question as I don't know him. However, the idea is that if we could predict when and where crime would happen, we could call the cops ahead of time and wouldn't need guns right? Most people I know don't pick and chose what activity they will have their gun on them for. They put it on on the morning and take it off at night. The more you handle the firearm, the more opportunity there is for a negligent discharge.

Chances are, this guy did not say to himself, "I'm going to mow the lawn, where's my gun?" He just put it on and went about his daily business.

As for pocket carry, there are pocket holsters. Without more information, it wouldn't be appropriate to pass judgment on the man. Guns should not discharge from being dropped whether it's in a holster or not. So the issue could be a potential manufacturers defect.

1999 DR650SE

Without more information, it wouldn't be appropriate to pass judgment on the man. Guns should not discharge from being dropped whether it's in a holster or not. So the issue could be a potential manufacturers defect.
    Good points, both...
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Its like car insurance... I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

I clip a box knife into my pocket every morning, almost without thinking about it. If you do something consistently, you'll become more comfortable and competent with it. Same goes for a firearm. Soon, it becomes another tool that you take with you, much like a cell phone or pocket knife. You never take it for granted, or lose respect for its capabilities, but you definitely notice it missing when you don't have it for some reason. It may seem silly to carry around the house, but 100% of home invasions occur at home.

ETA: The guy in the article cited above was obviously carrying in an unsafe manner, either the gun was not designed to be carried with one in the chamber (many inexpensive .25s are like that), or the gun was defective in some way, as most weapons have a passive firing pin safety that prevents the firing pin from contacting the cartridge unless the trigger is pulled to the rear. Notable exceptions would be older single action revolvers and pre Series 80 Colt 1911s.
    Last edited by TFOGGuys; Mon May 21st, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post

What's "ITT"?
    In This Thread

http://www.internetslang.com/ITT-meaning-definition.asp

1999 DR650SE

The moral of the story here is: If you're going to carry a gun while doing yard work - make sure you keep it in a proper holster - not loose in your pocket.

Didn't this dude learn anything when Plaxico Burress almost shot his dick off when he went to a club with a gun tucked int he waistband of his sweatpants?

How would you like to get roundhouse kicked with a motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    Also, I think you would have to lump me in with the Libertarians, not a liberal...
    Sorry, I must have been mislead by your (purposeful?) choice of the phrase "gun nut".
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Sorry, I must have been mislead by your (purposeful?) choice of the phrase "gun nut".
    shot and score

1999 DR650SE

In This Thread
    Thx. At first I was like, "ITT Technical Institute is mostly Liberals?"

shot and score

I played right defense. And I played for Edmonton. Other than that...

Back on point - man carries gun for personal safety; shoots self in leg mowing lawn - irony.

Yup underware elastic isnt a good holster at all. Like said above some carry everywhere out of habit personally ive been in the military for almost ten yrs and actually used my guns in combat, but never carry unless its a military thing like going to the range, never see anything in my daily life that needs a gun, my buddies all say better to have it on you if u need it then to not have it, but that can be said for everything, I dont carry an umbrella on me at all times in case it rains... But to each his own.
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Zanatos View Post
    The moral of the story here is: If you're going to carry a gun while doing yard work - make sure you keep it in a proper holster - not loose in your pocket.

Didn't this dude learn anything when Plaxico Burress almost shot his dick off when he went to a club with a gun tucked int he waistband of his sweatpants?
    Was there new information released stating it was loose in his pocket and not in a pocket holster?

1999 DR650SE

Back on point - man carries gun for personal safety; shoots self in leg mowing lawn - irony.
    Man killed by airbag designed to save his life - irony

http://www.icarumba.com/cobrands/con...baghazards.asp

1999 DR650SE

As far as I can tell, this is the only question that's being asked here:

Case in point: who the hell needs to keep their gun with them when they mow their lawn? What, has C-springs become so ghetto that someone will jump you while you cut grass and you need to defend yourself with a gun? Moron.
    Why? Maybe you read about the guy in Missouri who was shot while jogging?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/18...iref=allsearch

Or the story about the car crash at Fort Carson that turned into a gunfight?

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/ne...on-3549764.php

Or the guy shot and killed near Park Meadows while he was walking home a few years back?

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_13744448

The guy who was shot by his own firearm wasn't being smart with his firearm. I don't think there is any debate there. But I don't think you can reasonably say there is any place that is free from the risk of violence.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by spideyrdr View Post

The guy who was shot by his own firearm wasn't being smart with his firearm. I don't think there is any debate there. But I don't think you can reasonably say there is any place that is free from the risk of violence.
    I think there is some debate as there has been no more than two paragraphs of information released on the incident. The assumption may not be far off from the truth but it's premature to condemn the man without more information.

1999 DR650SE