Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ye Old Battery thread. :p (and Tenders)

Ye Old Battery thread. :p (and Tenders)

(not just Yami owners)

Ok, I know it's probably been beaten to death, sorry. Yes I did a search both here and on R1-Forums first. BUT, I still wanted to hit y'all up before I pulled the trigger on a Shorai Power (Lithium) for $145 through MotoMummy.

Seems like those get the best all-around reviews for weight, amps, & longevity (if you use a trickle-charger, use a non-desulfation type like BatteryTender). Other good ones were the BikeMasters TrueGel and Ballistic Performance.

Your real-world experiences? I mean besides the stock heavy Yuasa YTZ-10S...
    Last edited by Ghosty; Wed May 23rd, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Re: Ye Old Battery thread. :p

Shorai Power (Lithium) for $145 through MotoMummy.
    that description alone got me sold.

but then again i don't get battery problem yet with bike.

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

Everyone on R1-Forums seems to rave about it. Most of them had that as their first choice.

Prior owner of my bike said it was always on a tender, but who knows. I've also been reading that R1's are notorious for going through batteries every couple/few years, even on a tender? Weird, but if the case, then maybe the (Yuasa) one in there now is the original and needs replacement anyway.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

hmmm interesting...well knock on asphalt my stock battery is still doing its job...i do want to get a lithium to power an alarm and fuzz buster.

I run an Alien Motion lithium in my racebike. Same fundamental design as the Ballistic, but I think my 8-cell battery ran me around $90. I went with Alien Motion because the company is founded by motorcycle racers and all they sell are motorcycle batteries. Their customer service was top notch too.

http://alienmotion.com/
    Last edited by CaneZach; Tue May 22nd, 2012 at 04:01 PM.

How are LiPos on something like a dirt bike or track bike that doesn't get ridden regularly, are they compatible being hooked up to a battery tender?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Gary loves his. Me? I'm not worried about the weight of a standard battery because I don't race, and have a hard time paying twice as much for a battery than I need to. Have at it if you like, and good luck with it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Re: Ye Old Battery thread. :p (incl. Lithium discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    How are LiPos on something like a dirt bike or track bike that doesn't get ridden regularly, are they compatible being hooked up to a battery tender?
    This is what I found earlier, hence my mentioning the BatteryTender brand specifically. Just says Lithium, not necessarily LiPo (Polymer?), so I don't know if that's the same thing?...

(Deltran "Battery Tender" does not have "desulfation mode" which is bad for lithiums.)

I had the Scorpio i900 for the CBR, I didn't have a battery problem till I left it unused for a month. Batteries should last 5 to 6 years. Lithium can't be on a battery tender. Check the website for details
    "Q. Can I use Lead-Acid
    battery chargers or charger/tenders?

A.Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "
    Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the SHO-BMS01, which will be released on about March 15th 2011, we expect. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I'm not worried about the weight of a standard battery because I don't race, and have a hard time paying twice as much for a battery than I need to.
    Yeah a little pricey, but not crazy. I assume I'd pay around $100 - $120 for a stocker anyway.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Tue May 22nd, 2012 at 04:27 PM.

To improve battery life, simply leave your light on after you park everywhere you go. And I never use a tender either. Works wonders! Ask Mdub

yeah dude ...you must have a strong arse battery...i'm always reminding you about it being on...

i purchased the shorai a few months ago and like it. its about the same size as my stock battery but lighter. ill just have to see how long this one lasts. the bike starts fine so i have no issues

Put one into an FJR1300 and the guy loved it.
    Saw a youtube video where the guy disconnected his spark plug wires so the bike wouldn't start, took a brand new Shorai out of the shipping box, hooked it up, and cranked over a GL1800 for 10 seconds... 10 times in a row. Last 2 seconds of the last crank were just as strong as the first 2 seconds of the first crank. Very impressive if you ask me.

Plus the weight savings alone are amazing.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

The Shorai and others are Lithium Iron (not ion) LiFe batteries.

I had one on my ducati and the same size in my Zuma scooter - they were great.

There are a lot of things to like about them - 1) They are smaller and lighter than the lead acid counterparts. 2) they don't seem to have fluids to spill or overflow like lead acid batteries 3) They don't seem to have the charging instabilities that Lithium Ion batteries have.

In both applications the bikes sit for some period of time before being used again. Without the use of any kind of tender the batteries hold charge extremely well and do not require a lot of "inbetween" maintenance. I've had them now for 2 full seasons and the start of this season and they seem to be holding up well. I would buy again.

The scooter sat the whole winter without any kind of charging and was strong in the spring without any maintenance.

The one thing that you have to know about these batteries is that they require some heat to work - so on a cold day the initial start sequence may seem a little weak, but after a couple of cycles they will gain strength and start the bike.

This is a bit of a concern on bikes that have sprag clutch (starter clutch) problems as underpowering them can do damage to that clutch and cause you to need to replace it. If you want to use one of these batteries and your bike is known to have sprag clutch issues then I would recommend getting one size bigger than you think you need. If the application guide says 8 cell - get a 12 cell one.

I'll be adding one to the Aprilia racebike soon and will report my results.

There are a variety of good brands -

MOTY designs is owned in SLC Utah and owned by a small group of racers - nice products using this technology. If you want one of these there is a small dealer in New Mexico that sells them for reasonable money -

www.speedinmotorsports.com

Please tell Brian that I sent you and he will take great care of you.

If you want a Shorai or a Ballistic - they are both sold by MotoAdventure Kawasaki in Loveland Colorado.

I'm pretty sure 303 cycle still sells the Shorai batteries too.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Tylar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    (not just Yami owners)
    I'm curious what you'll do and how it goes as I'm getting tired of having to charge mine every time I let it sit for more than two weeks.
    -Tylar

2009: 2009 GSXR 600 *wifey's*
    2010: 2008 YZF-R1

My CBR ate two OEM batteries, so I went with a TruGel and never had any issues since.

It's not the lightest race battery out there, but it's lighter than the stock Yuasa, about the same price or a little less, had a 2yr warranty, and seemed the better deal overall.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Wow, thanks for some great info guys, especially Ryobo. I did go ahead and order it from MotoMummy, before I read that Loveland Kawi sold 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylar View Post
    I'm curious what you'll do and how it goes as I'm getting tired of having to charge mine every time I let it sit for more than two weeks.
    I might not be a good test case though, because I plan on putting a Deltran Tender on mine. My other trickle is on the Supra 24/7. But of course I'll report back after a year of use if I remember, lol.

I had a Trugel in my Kawi, and it was kaput after 6 months. Was pretty sure one of the cells went out(reading 10.8 ), so I had Rocky mountain Kawasaki run a load test, and sure enough it was done. They swapped it out for a Deka AGM and that's been fine, at least for the short time I've had it. My bikes are heavy, so I don't really care about losing a couple pounds with the battery. The SV has a wally-world battery in it, and when that one goes, I'll probably put the Deka in there as well.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

I read somewhere the Walmart and CarQuest (Yamaha) motorcycle batteries are actually Yuasa stockers re-branded, only cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I read somewhere the Walmart and CarQuest (Yamaha) motorcycle batteries are actually Yuasa stockers re-branded, only cheaper?
    I, too, have heard that. Haven't looked closely at the one that came with the SV to verify that.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

I got a Antigravity 8-cell for my DRZ last year. Compact, very light and plenty of CCA for a 400cc thumper. Battery location on the DRZ is up high on the rear fender, so bad place for a heavy battery. Been very happy with it and like Rybo reported, no need to charge even if it sits for a year. Pricey tho at $180.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Any reason to get a Battery Tender Plus over the Jr.? Everything I've read online says the Plus is just faster at charging dead ones, or something. Doesn't sound necessary for the huge price increase. I need to buy a second one, but might upgrade my old cheap Sears one too.

As for batteries, noticed the MegaBoost (on CycleGear.com?) has a lifetime warranty. Something to keep in mind, but it's also in the $150+ range.

Re: Ye Old Battery thread. :p (and Tenders)

I have the Jr, and it's worked fine for me. Neither of them will charge a from dead battery, as the current just isn't enough. But they are good for floating, and a light charge if the bike sits for a little while on its own.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

Just checked my order status at MotoMummy. My Shorai is on "slight backorder" until next week, ugh.

Gonna try to get the Walmart (Everstart) cheapie today, so I can ride until then. Hopefully the right part# ES9BS. Difficult to find an application guide online...

Just take the old one in with ya to verify it's the right size.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold