Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need new tire

Need new tire

I got Q2 tires on April last year and after 5k it's time to change the rear tire. The front tire looks good, do i need to change both tires or just the rear?

If i need to change both i'm not sure if i want to get another set of Q2. The Q2 is a great tire so i'm looking for a tire that will last at least 5k and provide the same or better handling. I'm looking for a tire that i can take to IMI couple times a year but most of my riding is spirited canyon riding.

How's the PR3? Who got a good deal on tires?
    Last edited by G35CO; Fri May 25th, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
    '03 YZF600R

Re: Need new tire

A brand new rear Q2 at Performance Cycle of Colorado is $124. Saw it today.

Another option if you want to get a full set is the BT016s, and performance has those for like $200 a set or something. I ran them for HPR and PPIR and they stuck like glue, and seemed to last longer.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Better handling + longer life rarely go together.

To answer your first question - if you get another Q2 then there is no need to replace both tires. If you get something other than a Q2 you're mixing and matching tire shapes, which often doesn't end well.

To answer your second question - "better handling" is a subjective term - how it feels to you is really what we're after here and what feels good to you vs. what feels good to me are probably two different things.

If you are talking about the ultimate level of available grip and you think you're using up what the Q2 has to offer either a) you are riding WAY too hard on the street or b) you have some bike set up issues that need to be addressed. The Q2 has enough grip to do laps at HPR very very near the track record - so finding something that offers more grip than that is going to mean moving to a full race tire, which you simply cannot effectively use on the street.

If what we are talking about is finding a tire that "feels" good to you - well then that's a different ball game. The Q2 is a very good tire, as is the Bridgestone S20 and the Michelin Power Pure or the Pirelli Rosso - all offer more performance than we should use on the street and at a reasonable price to boot. 5K miles is really a pretty good life span for one of these high performance street tires. I used to get about 2500-3000 miles out of my street tires when I did some track days (evenings) on them.

If you want better life you can move to one of the sport touring tires - they will last longer and will probably offer plenty of grip for what you want to do.

There are a dozen threads on here about tires, tire life and what people think about the tires on their bike. Search here and see what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    The Q2 has enough grip to do laps at HPR very very near the track record - so finding something that offers more grip than that is going to mean moving to a full race tire, which you simply cannot effectively use on the street.
    To add to that. I ran a set of D211GPA take offs on the street last weekend. They were nearly new but were horrible on the street. Couldnt keep them hot enough to keep consistent and predictable performance. One minute they were sticky and planted, and the next they would step out under acceleration. Unbelievable grip when used on the track but on the street no bueno, FOR ME anyway. Everyone rides different.
    Im very happy with my Q2s. Getting 2500 - 3000 miles of canyon carving and track days, with no traction issues on a liter bike.
    Last edited by Cornfed; Fri May 25th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    A brand new rear Q2 at Performance Cycle of Colorado is $124. Saw it today.
    Wow, incl. the 190? Dammit, I didn't even look when I was there today, otherwise I would've picked one up.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to check prices on tires today.

I need to decide if i want to stay with sport tire like the Q2 or Pure or move to a sport touring tire like PR3 or PR2 that will give me better millage. If i stay with the Q2 i need the shop look at my front tire and let me know if i can keep it.
    '03 YZF600R

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Wow, incl. the 190? Dammit, I didn't even look when I was there today, otherwise I would've picked one up.
    I think 190 there was like $144 =/
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Not bad, still cheaper than online, and I like giving my business to a local shop when reasonable.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I ordered pr3's for my bike, but because it was stolen 2 days before the tires came in i put them on my bros bike, and we both love them. online i found them for 168, Marks motorcycle shop got me some for 175 + 30 to install the rear. I will be putting these on my bike when i get another one. we are taking the bike to imi sunday so i will let you know how they do on the track. I put about 50 miles on them and he put over 100 miles on them yesterday and we are both very pleased.
    "On my steel horse I ride"
    2013 CBR1000RR, 20769 Miles

Quote Originally Posted by CBR-Cowboy View Post
    I ordered pr3's for my bike, but because it was stolen 2 days before the tires came in i put them on my bros bike, and we both love them. online i found them for 168, Marks motorcycle shop got me some for 175 + 30 to install the rear. I will be putting these on my bike when i get another one. we are taking the bike to imi sunday so i will let you know how they do on the track. I put about 50 miles on them and he put over 100 miles on them yesterday and we are both very pleased.
    $168 for front and rear?
    '03 YZF600R

Sounds like just the rear?

yeah was just the rear, imo you cant go too cheap on your tires, you do get what you pay for.

mark charges 30 to change tire on bike, or 15 if you bring the rim in off the bike. think it was like 147 or so for the front, i really didnt pay attention, was like 350 for both put on the bike
    "On my steel horse I ride"
    2013 CBR1000RR, 20769 Miles

Quote Originally Posted by CBR-Cowboy View Post
    yeah was just the rear, imo you cant go too cheap on your tires, you do get what you pay for.

mark charges 30 to change tire on bike, or 15 if you bring the rim in off the bike. think it was like 147 or so for the front, i really didnt pay attention, was like 350 for both put on the bike
    303 cycle will do 10 dollar changes. last I heard

I put pr3s on the duc this morning.

140 for the front - Performance
    160 for the rear - Let it Ride

Had them mounted at Supertune.

Hopefully they'll outlast the pirellis I had on before (5K miles). A double puncture yesterday forced my hand into new tires today.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I order PR3 from 303 cycle for $287, best local and web deal i was able to find. They charge $15 off the bike install of the bike per wheel. I'll keep you posted after the install.
    '03 YZF600R

^^ My prices included tax so it's nice to know they weren't too out of whack.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ^^ My prices included tax so it's nice to know they weren't too out of whack.
    When you buy online who does the install for you?
    '03 YZF600R

I've had Supertune Motorsports do the last couple of sets...

Heading to 303 at lunch today to see what they can hook up for me. After reading around, looking at Q2, PR3, and some comps like these below. Will see what 303 says...

Dunlop Sportmax Q2
    Michelin Pilot Power
    Michelin Pilot Road 2 or PR3
    Dunlop Roadsmart
    Pirelli Diabla Corsa III
    Pirelli Diabla Rossa
    Metzler Z6
    Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Any I should mark OFF the list? This will be for mostly commuting, sport-touring, weekend mountain (nothing aggressive), and no track use for now. Would like a decent all-around tire that won't be too scary in rain either. Would like to get at least 5k, if not 10k miles outta them, if that's possible?

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Heading to 303 at lunch today to see what they can hook up for me. After reading around, looking at Q2, PR3, and some comps like these below. Will see what 303 says...

Dunlop Sportmax Q2
    Michelin Pilot Power
    Michelin Pilot Road 2 or PR3
    Dunlop Roadsmart
    Pirelli Diabla Corsa III
    Pirelli Diabla Rossa
    Metzler Z6
    Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Any I should mark OFF the list? This will be for mostly commuting, sport-touring, weekend mountain (nothing aggressive), and no track use for now. Would like a decent all-around tire that won't be too scary in rain either. Would like to get at least 5k, if not 10k miles outta them, if that's possible?
    If you end up getting new tires, get the 190/55 instead of the stock 190/50 size, you'll thank me later.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Depends on availability too, but will keep that in mind, thx. The 55 is a tad taller, right? What have you noticed?

Oh yeah, this is my rear only.

I've always had really good luck w/ Conti Road Attacks...

They just put out the Road Attack 2. If I had the time to order a set of tires, I probably would have gone with them.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ttack2_en.html

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/news/201...attack-2-21607

No time to order, got a nail, lol. Gonna go today after work, might have a hookup at the BMW cycle shop on pricing on PR3.

What's the difference between PR2 and PR3? Is one stickier and less mileage?

No time to order, got a nail, lol. Gonna go today after work, might have a hookup at the BMW cycle shop on pricing on PR3.

What's the difference between PR2 and PR3? Is one stickier and less mileage?
    Both are ST tires...

The PR3 has additional siping which is supposed to aid in wet weather riding.