Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need new tire

Re: Need new tire

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Heading to 303 at lunch today to see what they can hook up for me. After reading around, looking at Q2, PR3, and some comps like these below. Will see what 303 says...

Dunlop Sportmax Q2
    Michelin Pilot Power
    Michelin Pilot Road 2 or PR3
    Dunlop Roadsmart
    Pirelli Diabla Corsa III
    Pirelli Diabla Rossa
    Metzler Z6
    Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Any I should mark OFF the list? This will be for mostly commuting, sport-touring, weekend mountain (nothing aggressive), and no track use for now. Would like a decent all-around tire that won't be too scary in rain either. Would like to get at least 5k, if not 10k miles outta them, if that's possible?
    You have a mix of ST and aggressive tires in your list. The Q2, Power, and Corsa are more geared towards aggressive riding and will not give you extensive mileage. You may want to check out the Pirelli Angel ST as well. Reviews on those that I've seen are a mixed bag. I think Bashed is running them and might be able to give you some feedback.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Check with performance cycle they have most tires in stock
    '03 YZF600R

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Try this:
    http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38422

And please post up your experience with your old Q2's and whatever you get.

Best of luck.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Cool, talked to Performance and 303, got some good opinions on the ones on my list, including which ones were the aggressive (as jmetz mentioned), and which ones were more suited for my needs. Need to check what my (stocker?) front is currently, don't wanna get anything too much more sticky than that.

He also said the Metzler Z6 was decent, and the Avon Storm was good but maybe a little more aggressive and more expensive.

So far, leaning towards the PR2 for around $165.

Thx CM, yeah I already read a lot of that mileage thread.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Thu May 31st, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

From what I read the PR3 is a better tire then the PR2.
    '03 YZF600R

303 told me to stick with the PR2. That the PR3 is really only for VERY RAINY states, like the PacNW or NorthEast, not Colorado. Can anyone elaborate, if that's not so?

They also said the 55 is slightly better handling than the 50 height, but I probably wouldn't notice the difference much since I don't track it.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

3 of the 5 bikes on the Grand Mesa trip were running them and no one had any complaints. If I can get more mileage out of them over the Pirelli Scorpions I'll be a happy camper.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

55 is a steeper profile which makes turn in a bit nicer.

Shoot, 303 says they don't do any on-bike mounting. Performance can deliver the tire to Woody's who can do it if he's not busy, but costs almost $65 just to mount/balance the rear. Waiting to find out if BMW will. Haven't called around other places yet...

<Edit:> BMW on Havana will mount it for $40 if I buy it from them (PR2 or PR3). On the phone with TFOG now. Will see what they offer too.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Thu May 31st, 2012 at 11:39 AM.

Anyone that lives near me (aurora/DIA), can bring me their wheel/tire, I can run it over to Jim @ TFOG since it's on the way to work and get it mounted. You can take care of payment with him over the phone.

If Jim can't hook you up, check w/ Let it Ride for your tires, then go next door to Supertune to get them mounted...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Just talked to someone at TFOG. He's got a PR2 in 190/50/17 for under $160, and can mount it this afternoon for $30. The 55 won't arrive 'til Tuesday, so I'll just grab that 50. Gonna leave work early. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Be sure to tell Jim he's a schmeckle. It's Yiddish for good man. He'd get a kick out of it.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Depends on availability too, but will keep that in mind, thx. The 55 is a tad taller, right? What have you noticed?

Oh yeah, this is my rear only.
    Taller, faster turn in, it really helps on the R1. And yes, you will notice the difference, even just on the street.
    Last edited by Mother Goose; Thu May 31st, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I just picked up a PR2 for my FZ1 from bikebandit.com, granted the tire is a smaller 180/55/17, but it ran me $133 shipped. I also have access to a tire machine so was able to dismount/mount/bal myself, so I guess that's somewhat void as well....

BUT, as far as the tire goes, I absolutely love it!. I've put around 350 miles on it so far, and the bike feels just as planted/grippy as it did on the BT010 Battlax it had on there before. Mileage was the main reason I went with that tire over everything else, being as the reviews I read on it had a fair amount of people seeing over 9k from a set, highest being 12k.

Im confident you'll like it though, for sure.
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

YOURE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD!

Quote Originally Posted by FZjake719 View Post
    I just picked up a PR2 for my FZ1 from bikebandit.com, granted the tire is a smaller 180/55/17, but it ran me $133 shipped. I also have access to a tire machine so was able to dismount/mount/bal myself, so I guess that's somewhat void as well....

BUT, as far as the tire goes, I absolutely love it!. I've put around 350 miles on it so far, and the bike feels just as planted/grippy as it did on the BT010 Battlax it had on there before. Mileage was the main reason I went with that tire over everything else, being as the reviews I read on it had a fair amount of people seeing over 9k from a set, highest being 12k.

Im confident you'll like it though, for sure.
    I got 19600 out of my first set of PR2s in my 01 FZ1, the second set will probably be done at about 19K. PR3s are supposed to last ~11% better, and work better in the rain.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Shoot, 303 says they don't do any on-bike mounting. Performance can deliver the tire to Woody's who can do it if he's not busy, but costs almost $65 just to mount/balance the rear. Waiting to find out if BMW will. Haven't called around other places yet...

<Edit:> BMW on Havana will mount it for $40 if I buy it from them (PR2 or PR3). On the phone with TFOG now. Will see what they offer too.
    Performance Cycle will M&B for $20/tire. I'm gonna have my old M3 "Street" takeoffs put back on to try and get some mileage out of them before I put new ones on.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Taller, faster turn in, it really helps on the R1. And yes, you will notice the difference, even just on the street.
    Dang, well maybe next time. I didn't wanna risk riding all this weekend on a bald tire with a giant nail embedded in it, eek! PR3 won't arrive 'til Tuesday. So I just had them put on the 50 PR2 they had in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Be sure to tell Jim he's a schmeckle. It's Yiddish for good man. He'd get a kick out of it.
    I forgot the word, but he already read it on here, heheh! Hope he doesn't mind me posting the pricing I got here. Beat all the other places, YMMV.

Michelin PR2 190/50/ZR17: $157
    Mount/balance on bike w/ purchase: $30
    Also picked up some chain grease:
    Silkolene Pro Synth lube: $14 + 10% CSC discount.

<-- Happy camper

Jim's a good guy. Or a schmeckle depending.

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I got 19600 out of my first set of PR2s in my 01 FZ1, the second set will probably be done at about 19K. PR3s are supposed to last ~11% better, and work better in the rain.
    Knowing me, I'll probably buy a brand NEW bike before I hit 20k!

Pretty hard to beat Jim's prices and service. I have been buying solely through him for a minute now.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I was proud with my 12000 on the PR2 until i read your post. What tire pressure you are using?
    '03 YZF600R

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Pretty hard to beat Jim's prices and service. I have been buying solely through him for a minute now.
    +1 Jim is the best. Too bad he didn't have my tires in stock and I needed new rear ASAP.
    Last edited by G35CO; Thu May 31st, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
    '03 YZF600R

+1 for the touring tire suggestions. Unless your rockin n Rollin leaned over touching knees all the time a touring tire works perfectly. You get good hustle with great mileage and better confidence in adverse conditions.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!