Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need new tire

Re: Need new tire

Quote Originally Posted by G35CO View Post
    I was proud with my 12000 on the PR2 until i read your post. What tire pressure you are using?
    42 psi at both ends. Yamaha recommends 36F/42R, but I find that most tires on this bike will cup/brake wear on the front at that pressure, on that bike. I check pressure at least weekly, as bike tires tend to lose a pound or so a month. More than half of the bikes that come onto the shop that we check have tires that are 20% or more below the recommended inflation pressures(as marked on the frame sticker). I'm looking forward to replacing the current set of PR2s with PR3s, probably about 3 weeks from now(about 18k on them as of this evening).
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

How do you know what's the correct tire pressure? Do you check the tire when it’s warm to see if the PSI when up by 10% front and 20% back? My bike sticker is 33/36 but I currently run it 34/38.
    '03 YZF600R

For best mileage, go with the highest numbers shown on the swingarm or frame sticker. A good rule of thumb is to look for a 10% rise in pressure at either end from cold to fully warmed, but as a rule, higher pressures will give longer life and lower operating temperatures. Lower pressures will give shorter warmup times, and on some tires, better cornering performance, at the expense of more rapid wear.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I'll check my tires today to see if I'm getting 10% increase. The PR3 felt too soft with 33/36.
    '03 YZF600R

Interesting, I always thought 40+psi is a tad high. I'll check for that sticker, check the rear (assume you guys put it at 42 or what?), then adjust the front accordingly, after warmed up...
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Interesting, I always thought 40+psi is a tad high. I'll check for that sticker, check the rear (assume you guys put it at 42 or what?), then adjust the front accordingly, after warmed up...
    Yamaha calls for 36F/42R on your bike as well. We set them to the pressures called for by the steering head sticker, unless requested to do otherwise.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400