Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New toy - '07 Z4M Coupe

Re: New toy - '07 Z4M Coupe

bluedogok, nice looking Roadster. Ever spend much time on http://www.zpost.com/forums/index.php I've been over there, checking it out.
    Steve Clark
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer
    My Bike Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ATL View Post
    S54 won international engine of the year the year it was released, and every year that it was in production- it took home the award consecutively (6 years in a row).

-Chris
    This would be completely relevant....

If his car had the S54.

Not only that, but the S54 was not that great of an engine. It's heavy (Inline and iron block), poor low speed performance, very poor fuel economy, limited potential, and was plagued with bearing problems early on. It certainly had a personality though, very fun engine to drive.

His car has the 3.0l twin turbo N54. Still heavy, but a much broader and smoother power curve, much-improved fuel economy, and very easy to bump to 400 horsepower. My next car is looking to be a 335i. I absolutely loved the week I spent playing with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    This would be completely relevant....

If his car had the S54.

Not only that, but the S54 was not that great of an engine. It's heavy (Inline and iron block), poor low speed performance, very poor fuel economy, limited potential, and was plagued with bearing problems early on. It certainly had a personality though, very fun engine to drive.

His car has the 3.0l twin turbo N54. Still heavy, but a much broader and smoother power curve, much-improved fuel economy, and very easy to bump to 400 horsepower. My next car is looking to be a 335i. I absolutely loved the week I spent playing with one.
    I'll bet you my bike for yours that his car has the S54 vs N54. (or at least came from the factory with the S54).

And while the N54 is a great engine- it won less awards, was responsible for the largest recall in BMW's history (high pressure fuel pump), and was phased out and replaced with the biturbo N55 (no more twin turbo). The N55 is in more BMW models than not these days. It is a great motor with insane mod-ability. Ask me how I know? I've had 3 335's. (2007, 2009 (2)) all E93's.

Source: personal knowledge- working for BMW for years.

Nice try though,
    -Chris
    Last edited by ATL; Tue May 29th, 2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Bolding that shit.
    (77O-six55-3O35) '03 R6 (new baby) / '03 SV650 (sold) Almond Imaging Photography

I'll bet you my bike for yours that his car has the S54 vs N54. (or at least came from the factory with the S54).

And while the N54 is a great engine- it won less awards, was responsible for the largest recall in BMW's history (high pressure fuel pump), and was phased out and replaced with the biturbo N55 (no more twin turbo). The N55 is in more BMW models than not these days. It is a great motor with insane mod-ability. Ask me how I know? I've had 3 335's. (2007, 2009 (2)) all E93's.

Nice try though,
    -Chris
    So true is my latest quest to become Non Carless i did read up on the turbo issues they were having and what engine to look for
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Nice try though,
    -Chris
    I stand corrected, surfed the web all too quickly trying to back up what I thought.

I consider the N54/55 to be the same, since they virtually are (Minus a turbo of course). The HPFP issues have all been dealt with, and although more widespread, not nearly as catastrophic as complete engine failure. The early S54s should have been recalled, and created a mass of distrust and disappointment from owners. This is why I think BMW reacted so fast with the N54, to not put owners through what they did with the early E46 M3s. A friend spun a rod bearing at 13,000 miles, took him forever fighting with BMW to get a new motor.

I haven't been fortunate enough to own a 335 yet (Hard to go from a fast Jeep to a slow BMW), but that day is coming soon. I've had, and still have one, Two E34 5-series, and I'm buying a new-gen X5 3.0 next week.

If they made the 335d in a coupe, with a cluth pedal and 6 gears I'd buy one tomorrow.

Sorry to go off topic, I'm a huge BMW fan. The OP got a really great and rare car, not to mention fun. It'll make a lifelong BMW fan out of him I imagine.

My M has the S54, inline 6, naturally aspirated.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10812301...ne-six-retires
    Steve Clark
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer
    My Bike Blog

Congrats on the beautiful car!!! Just don't let many of the BMW forum holier than thou attitudes influence you haha.

Every time I get in....

Steve Clark
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer
    My Bike Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Stinky View Post
    bluedogok, nice looking Roadster. Ever spend much time on http://www.zpost.com/forums/index.php I've been over there, checking it out.
    Thanks, like I said, it was a bargain at the time (2009), a 2003 2.5i, sport package and 45,000 miles for $15,400, looked through some of the original paperwork and it sold for a little over 38K. All I have done to it (other than oil change/tires type stuff) in the 50,000 miles since is change the brakes.

I am signed up at Zpost but spend more time at Bimmerforums, there is a semi-active contingent from here on there.

I'm on bimmerforums also, but don't need it much since my BMW doesn't break, and I have no interest in trying to make a 21 yr old sedan nicer fast lol