Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Ended by Inattentive Driver 5/30

Rear Ended by Inattentive Driver 5/30

Out for a nice little ride yesterday, the last day of vacation. Was just outside of Nederland Colorado, stopping for lunch.

I slowed with turn signal on and left arm outstretched to signal a left turn. Came to a stop on a two lane road to allow oncoming traffic to clear, and heard the scrreeeching of tires behind me. I just knew this was not going to end well.

Putted forward maybe 5 feet, and was greeted with a small thump, sorta like someone kicked the tire. I wasn't actually certain that she had made contact with me. Finished my turn and went to lunch.

As I cleared the street, and looked behind me at the driver, she was sitting there in schock. I just shook my head.

Some Harley dude who was attempting to exit the lot was pretty excited and yelling at the woman.

Was only after all this that the shock and mental degradation began, while I ordered my lunch. Man. I missed what could have been a disaster by what I considered a small margin. Until now, I always worried about crashing by going into a corner too hot.

I have always kept a wary eye out for other motorists, and have been fortunate I guess until now (and still am fortunate) not to have had any mishaps with other vehicles. 36 years on motorcycles with no collisions with other vehicles.

Not sure why, but thought I would share.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

Re: Rear Ended by Inattentive Driver 5/30

Glad you're ok. Definitely could have been a lot worse, especially if you hadn't moved forward those 5 feet.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Glad you're good Greg, gotta keep an eye out constantly cause distractions are greater these days than ever before.

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Thank goodness you had the presence of mind to move up that extra 5' when you heard the tires squealing. I only hope I have that same kind of instinct if a similar situation arises. Good lesson for all of us, thanks for sharing. Glad you and the bike are okay Greg.

Thanks for posting. It's a good reminder to be vigilant and prepared for anything when riding.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Wow, thats crazy. Glad youre ok and able to type up what happened. Couldve wound up a hood ornament amongst other things.... Close call!
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

YOURE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD!

Glad things turned out well in that situation.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quick thinking/instinct.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Good example of why I don't wear earbuds and listen to music when I ride. Gotta hear the screech...
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

You got lucky. Some inattentive drivers don't stop in time
    Last edited by Sean; Thu May 31st, 2012 at 09:27 AM.

Good job on putting your bike forward a bit! Glad it turned out ok, cars are stoooopid, could've been so much worse. I wear earplugs so have to be extra diligent.

Many years ago (2002?), Titus and I were riding our 929's downtown on Speer right before the Denver Health underpass. At that stoplight a girl didn't see me or thought I was gonna run the yellow. She CREAMED me from behind in her Accord, sent my passenger flying over, and I luckily only had slight scrapes, bike totalled. Had a leather, helmet, and gloves, luckily. If my passenger Shanonn didn't have a helmet, she would've got her face demolished in the pavement, the helmet was trashed. Gear, gear, gear!

Took me many years to get back on the saddle!
    Last edited by Ghosty; Thu May 31st, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    You got lucky. Some inattentive drivers don't stop in time
    You mean the Prii drivers ? Is Prii a valid word ?????

Good save, watch your six!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Dood! Glad you're ok. From the title I thought Althea was damaged.

Ok, now that my heartbeat is normal. You got REALLY lucky. I got slammed into from behind in '88-ish on my old Gixxer1100 and if it hadn't been for my 325lb+ buddy on his gixxer in front of me who I slammed into, I'd have gotten tossed into 50+mph crosstraffic and been made into roadkill. Bent the whole back of my frame up and her tire was lodged between my tire and the frame. I hit Marty so hard it snapped his footpeg bracket off.

Glad you 2 are ok. I'm ALWAYS watching my mirrors at a stop now, ready to run the sign/light if needed.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Good example of why I don't wear earbuds and listen to music when I ride. Gotta hear the screech...
    Again, I can hear my motor sounds and stock exhaust over my music even when listening to music via helmet speakers or earbuds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Again, I can hear my motor sounds and stock exhaust over my music even when listening to music via helmet speakers or earbuds.

I'm always aware of my surroundings. I am looking at mirrors all the time when stop'd. Keepin an eye out for that inattentive driver.

Gotta digest this. Still not computing.

Thanks guys for the input. Maybe I will sell the bike and take up something safe like skydiving, or maybe sailplanes.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post

Thanks guys for the input. Maybe I will sell the bike and take up something safe like skydiving, or maybe sailplanes.
    Lol you did the right thing and it's what kept you from getting seriously injured, you just got lucky because At least the driver hit the brakes and you heard the squeling. If she didnt brake well....I personally look at my mirrors constantly while stopped, Sean got hit by a Prius that didn't slam the brakes, so there was no way for him to hear it coming.

Oh nooo, now I feel bad for sharing my wreck story. Didn't want to scare you. Let me tell you, I totally REGRET that I didn't get right back on a bike. I consider it "taking a breather", but now everyday I ride, and everyday I'm a little pissed I stayed away from bikes for too long.

Take a short break if you have to, but don't give up!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Oh nooo, now I feel bad for sharing my wreck story. Didn't want to scare you. Let me tell you, I totally REGRET that I didn't get right back on a bike. I consider it "taking a breather", but now everyday I ride, and everyday I'm a little pissed I stayed away from bikes for too long.

Take a short break if you have to, but don't give up!
    +1. Get back on that horse, or it'll scare you more and more. (In my case that's literal, I can be around them but I don't like horses due to falling off of one as a kid. Something about seeing a Clydesdale's hoof coming down at your head sticks with you...)

No waaaaay. KEEP the bike and jump it into the Grand Canyon like Travis Pastrana. There's no one around to run into you if you do that at least. Can I come watch?
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    No waaaaay. KEEP the bike and jump it into the Grand Canyon like Travis Pastrana. There's no one around to run into you if you do that at least. Can I come watch?
    You first!

You first!
    I volunteer to go first! (Using your bike of course.)

Thanks for the thread. As a somewhat new rider I got all the gear and ALWAYS slow down and watch for any oncoming traffic and side traffic issues that could happen. I try my hardest to slow down enough in intersections to where I can the eyes of the ppl driving the cars. I've been able to read a few times when some asshat isn't paying attention and have avoided numerous situations of cars pulling out in front of me and turning left in front of me. I've actually often wondered if taking the time to look drivers in the eyes is a bad idea becuase it might be taking my focus off of the road to some degree.
    This thread is a good wake up call for me to start also looking behind me. I can't remember a time when I stopped that I looked in my rear view for any extended period of time to watch the cars behind me. So thanks! I"m going to make it part of my daily riding routine.
    I may not go down in history, but I might go down on your sister!