Thread: Almost hit a deer this morning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Almost hit a deer this morning

So at about 5:30 today I was riding into work heading towards Boulder on 119. I slowed down for a stop light then was speeding back up to 55 - 60 mph and I looked down for a second to check my speed. When I looked back up I saw two little white patches, turns out they were the inside of their ears looking right at me about 30 - 40 feet in front of me. On that concrete road paving their fur was like the camouflage from predator and blended perfectly in the low light. My asshole took a good bite of my seat and I braked hard for about a 1/10 th of a second then knowing I was not going to stop I let the brakes go and did the tightest, sharpest 'S' turn of my life on that crappy beat up concrete. I had to take my eyes off of the deer to make sure I did not shoot off the shoulder, and when I looked back up I was in the second part of the turn. As I shifted my weight back onto the bike center I saw one of their heads mis my handle bars and arm by about 6". The bastard was running as fast as it could to get off the road in front of me. I think that the only reason I did not hit one is because I was riding with good lane positioning and had room to swerve in either direction. I was riding in the left side of the right lane and I came within about 2 feet of edge of the road on the center median.

Re: Almost hit a deer this morning

Woah, pucker up! Glad to hear you didn't wreck, that would be bad news. NICE RIDING SKILLZ MAN!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Re: Almost hit a deer this morning

Glad it turned out alright, and good luck pulling the seatfoam outta yer ass!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)