Thread: '11 ZX6R oil filter

'11 ZX6R oil filter

First off, I want to say that I'd love to punch the guy that designed the engine and places the oil filter where it is.

So does anyone have any tips on how to tighten it down pretty good? I can't get an oil filter wrench in there and I only have it hand tight. Its in a tight spot right above the front sprocket for the chain. Its been a biotch of a time to get the old one off and now to try and tighten the new one.
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R
    2008 Suzuki GSXR 1000- Sold
    2007 Honda CBR 600 RR- Sold

Re: '11 ZX6R oil filter

You need an oil filter wrench. It is like a big socket that fits over the end of the filter and engages the small flats stamped into the filter casing. You then use a 3/8 ratchet or a socket (depending on the style) to spin the filter. Or just get a K&N filter which has the socket end already in the filter housing

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    You need an oil filter wrench. It is like a big socket that fits over the end of the filter and engages the small flats stamped into the filter casing. You then use a 3/8 ratchet or a socket (depending on the style) to spin the filter. Or just get a K&N filter which has the socket end already in the filter housing
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnbennyb View Post
    First off, I want to say that I'd love to punch the guy that designed the engine and places the oil filter where it is.

So does anyone have any tips on how to tighten it down pretty good? I can't get an oil filter wrench in there and I only have it hand tight. Its in a tight spot right above the front sprocket for the chain. Its been a biotch of a time to get the old one off and now to try and tighten the new one.
    :rollseyes:

But I will +1 on the K&N. That's all I use on my racebike because they're great filters, easy to remove/install, and they come pre-drilled to safety wire.
    Last edited by CaneZach; Sat Jun 2nd, 2012 at 05:57 PM.

Filter should be hand tight. Does not need a filter wrench in my experience. I haven't used one in several oil changes on the 929. Just don't be a bitch and get it as tight as you can with your hand.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Thanks a lot bro. I was able to make it to Rocky Mountain before they closed and picked one up. I would have been screwed for tomorrows ride if I didn't find one.
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R

Sorry, I should have used a different term. A strap type oil filter wrench will not work in that application as described. The socket type I was describing works perfectly, I have used them many times.

Always buy K&N

Like Zach said...always hand tighten.
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

I couldn't get the oil filter wrench in there that you use on a car. I ended up getting a socket for it and tightened it right up. I did get it hand right but not snug enough for piece of mind. My hands are too big for that little spot. I couldn't get my hand around the filter just half.
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R

3/4-1 turn past gasket contact. If you are worried do what we do on the race bikes and put a big hose clamp around it and safety wire it to something to prevent it from unscrewing.

I have never had a manly-hand tightened filter back out in a few years worth of oil changes every 2-3 months.

Do as you will though. Tightening past hand tight ensures that you will always need your filter wrench to untighten it.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    I have never had a manly-hand tightened filter back out in a few years worth of oil changes every 2-3 months.

Do as you will though. Tightening past hand tight ensures that you will always need your filter wrench to untighten it.
    I've always done hand tight as well. I just couldn't get a good grip on this one because of its placement and my hand size. I agree with the filters never backing out. On my previous bikes, I've never had an issue. I just can't get a grip on this one. There is a plastic shroud that wraps halfway around the bottom that is only far enough from the filter to fit a paper towel. The top half has enough space for me to fit my fingers in there. I tried to palm it in but that didn't work either.
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R

I have done oil changes on that bike (not Benny's but same model) and it is one of the few bikes there is no practical way to do it by hand. There is just no way to grip the filter. For the record I do most bikes by hand myself

get a K&N filter
    Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    But I will +1 on the K&N.
    Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Always buy K&N
    Dammit.
    _________
    09 zx6r
    Nate

The K&N filter isn't really any better than the OEM filter but in this one case the nut on the top of the case makes installation easier plus if you race safety wiring is easy