Thread: Casey Stoner Opens Up on Twitter

Casey Stoner Opens Up on Twitter

Anyone else following Casey's Twitter feed? He's really starting to open up on his issues with MotoGP. Since his announced retirement, it must feel nice knowing he can say what he wants without any repercussion...

Casey Stoner ‏@Official_CS27
    Incase anyone misinterpreted why I am retiring, I have lost passion and interest for the sport, not for racing OR riding these bikes.

Can't believe they gave Marc Marquez a 1min penalty!! Another reason why this championship needs some sorting out! I've seen much worse.

Good to see they dropped Marquez penalty, maybe they should consider all sides and views before they dish out penalties.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Re: Casey Stoner Opens Up on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    ... it must feel nice knowing he can say what he wants without any repercussion...
    I wouldn't say, without repercussion, but I get ya. (Think T.O.)
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Although, comparing Stoner and T.O. is not even close, I'm just thinking nobody likes the guy who bitches in the locker room, and if Stoner is thinking of moving to another sport (say Rally Racing for example), if he goes too far bitching about MotoGP it could follow him.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I agree with Stoner, and I can see why he's saying those things. Just a bummer that the issues within the sport he has loved and done so well in has some sort of connection with his retirement. Stoner is NOT the only high profile racer that has at one time expressed concern, but for some reason, he has been under the most scrutiny.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Sad really

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Rossi, Edwards, Simoncelli, Pedrosa are just a few riders who at one time expressed themselves openly to the media regarding certain issues they had with the series...I honestly believe that Stoners way of thinking(negatively) about the sport began when he was having issues with the Duc, and the illness. Certain things said by one of of his rivals in particular and because of that rivals status, was accepted by a large portion of the motorcycle community (even me) at some point. But the damage was a big blow, and it has always been following Casey since then, no matter what he has done. And now, when people are starting to discover this riders talent, it's almost to late. He's movin on. Not what racing should be about

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

I don't know how you can lose passion for the sport, but not lose passion for racing or riding [those] bikes.

... racing [those] bikes is the sport. What the hell?

Just go to SBK and kick the fuck out of everyone please, k thank you

I dont understand what he is even talking about, he cant race anymore because factory prototype machines are so expensive to run that many teams can no longer afford to compete so motogp needing bikes on the grid make some rule changes to atleast have bikes to hold racedays. Or because people didnt pat him on the back enough and stroke his ego telling him how great he is while other riders get this kind of treatment (eventhough the one who does get worshiped just happens to have 9 world championships and has proven his worth for over a decade). Have some respect for the sport that gave you the opportunity to become filthy rich and aquire mass amounts of glory what more does this guy want? If there is something I dont understand about this situation please explain but I cant seem to find any good reason for him to be saying the things he is, if it is just loss of passion then say that and leave the excuses elsewhere. What am I missing here?

Stoner may not have issues with the "sport" itself, just how the sport at that particular level (MotoGP) is being run and the politics behind the scenes. He could go to World Superbike and be perfectly happy since it is run by a completely different group. His issues may be more with DORNA rather than MotoGP as a whole. Dealing with internal politics can cause you to lose passion for any job, in reality time on the track is a minimal part of that "job" due to limitations in testing so there is much more of the crap to deal with now than there was many years ago in the days of unlimited testing. Back then a rider (or driver in car racing) could get out of the politics and clear their head by hitting the track. Racing has always had politics, at every level from local dirt track to F1/MotoGP and for some it just wears on them to the point of fight or flight. Speaking out while you are still "active" can have repercussions that you and/or your team may not want to deal with, I can assure you the teams will try to muzzle public dissent because they may not want to rock the boat and have a decision by the sanctioning body be harsher than it might have been had someone not been openly critical. DORNA has some issues, they just don't seem to make the light of day as much as F1 so those of us on the outside are probably not privy to much of that. There have been comments from some of the MotoGP refugees who have moved to SBK to that effect.

So I can understand "losing the passion" for the politics of MotoGP but not the sport overall. If things are going in a direction you don't like but are powerless to change, then leaving (not really retiring) is really all you can do.

I get paid millions to ride the most amazing bikes in existence and compete against the greatest riders in the world, and all I can do is whine about how much everything sucks. Boo Hoo.

CS can blow me.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I get paid millions to ride the most amazing bikes in existence and compete against the greatest riders in the world, and all I can do is whine about how much everything sucks. Boo Hoo.

CS can blow me.
    To some extent all racers at the top levels do that, it just seems to be a prerequisite for the job. Most just seem to do it behind the scenes, but they all do it. They just have a different mindset than the rest of us. At least it isn't as bad as Latrell Spreewell complaining about "food being taken off his table" with only a $12 million a year offer.

mental toughness.
    I have no idea what you're talking about.