Thread: Motoczysz - Isle of Man TT Zero

Motoczysz - Isle of Man TT Zero

If you have been paying attention to the Isle of Man TT Zero, you may have heard that US based race team Motoczysz has broken the record for the first all electric bike to run a 100mph lap. Rider Michael Rutter registered an average speed of 102.5 during practice today and his teammate, Mark Miller, was clocked at 153mph in the speed trap.

If you have a keen eye, you may have noticed white lettering on either side of the swing arm spelling out "Prototype Casting, Inc". And if your Google skills are up to par, you will find out that the swing arm was manufactured right here in Denver, CO. I didn't have to use Google as I am a Project Manager at Prototype Casting, and we sponsored Michael Czysz and his company by building the 2 swingarms for these bikes.

For more info and pictures, visit:
    http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...otoczysz-e1pc/

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: Motoczysz - Isle of Man TT Zero

"Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

very cool, and congrats on the impressive stats.
    1996 BMW R1100GS
    2002 Ducati Monster 750i.e.

Very cool... on all parts.

Was listening to an interview w/ Mark Miller a couple of weeks ago. He seems very amped about riding the Motoczysz bike.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Sad that they had such a hard go with their gasoline engine. Good to see them doing so well on the electric side!

Anyone know if they have any plans to return to the development of the gas engine?
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Very cool.
    -Ryan

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Sad that they had such a hard go with their gasoline engine. Good to see them doing so well on the electric side!

Anyone know if they have any plans to return to the development of the gas engine?
    Still a long ways from a gas engine in terms of sheer speed and especially # of laps run, but interesting. I'll have to look up that casting place.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

There was a hour long show on Discovery? That showed the C1 they were trying to develop. I have looked for it on the internet but cant find it, just a few small clips.

The C1 is sick, at least on paper too many kinks they couldnt work out

If anyone knows where the video can be found I would like the link.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

There was a hour long show on Discovery? That showed the C1 they were trying to develop. I have looked for it on the internet but cant find it, just a few small clips.

The C1 is sick, at least on paper too many kinks they couldnt work out

If anyone knows where the video can be found I would like the link.
    It's all about energy density, and at present, and even in the semi-distant future, it just isn't there. Gasoline turns out to be a pretty damn good fuel. Plus....it sounds better than electrons!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    It's all about energy density, and at present, and even in the semi-distant future, it just isn't there. Gasoline turns out to be a pretty damn good fuel. Plus....it sounds better than electrons!
    The C1 ran on dinosaurs... it was a GP prototype, not the present electric bike.

the show in question aired numerous times on HDNet and Discovery. Showed them out at MMP. I believe of the three prototypes they had, one blew up, another was cannibalized to get the other running which was dumped. However, the bike showed huge promise.

If you're interested, the C1 makes a nice showing in the new Wall Street movie.

Last edited by salsashark; Tue Jun 5th, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Good Deal!!!! Did the Isle of Man give them the 10,000 dollar prize? Thats good news for Motoczysz. That is such a good company and I know how hard he/they has worked to produce something. Kind of like an Erik Buell. I heard a rumor at the beginning of thee TT season that a team was gonna hire McGuinness to pilot there bike in order to set the record. I dont know if that became true or not since I have not had the opportunity to look at much info since the race has happened. Is the Isle of Man the only TT that will host electric racing?

I was lucky enough to see the C1 in Person in Laguna and meet ssome of the development team when I went to the GP's back in 06. I still have the C1 poster. What good news. Last year being so damn close to breaking that goal and the frustration I'm sure the team felt. Congrats!!!!
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    Good Deal!!!! Did the Isle of Man give them the 10,000 dollar prize? Thats good news for Motoczysz. That is such a good company and I know how hard he/they has worked to produce something. Kind of like an Erik Buell. I heard a rumor at the beginning of thee TT season that a team was gonna hire McGuinness to pilot there bike in order to set the record. I dont know if that became true or not since I have not had the opportunity to look at much info since the race has happened. Is the Isle of Man the only TT that will host electric racing?

I was lucky enough to see the C1 in Person in Laguna and meet ssome of the development team when I went to the GP's back in 06. I still have the C1 poster. What good news. Last year being so damn close to breaking that goal and the frustration I'm sure the team felt. Congrats!!!!
    Man, who took the picture, a Hobbit???

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    The C1 ran on dinosaurs... it was a GP prototype, not the present electric bike.

the show in question aired numerous times on HDNet and Discovery. Showed them out at MMP. I believe of the three prototypes they had, one blew up, another was cannibalized to get the other running which was dumped. However, the bike showed huge promise.

If you're interested, the C1 makes a nice showing in the new Wall Street movie.

Yep, am familiar with the C1. Interesting engine design, but ultimately different, not better. In fact, in most ways worse, especially in power output. I think he would have had a better chance making it a streetbike where total power isn't everything instead of trying to tackle MotoGP where it IS. That extra 90deg output shaft and the resultant frictional losses put paid to that. Plus, the basic architecture wasn't oversquare enough to make MotoGP-type levels of power anyways.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

it does have a nice buzzing sound to it. Like the flying cars in The Jetsons

I just got word that Motoczysz finished 1st and 3rd! I think that means that they win the £10,000 prize .

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

The gas engine from them is a dead issue.

I was at Miller Motorsports Park when they were filming for the Discovery Special. I've met Michael a number of times, and in my opinion he seems like a pretty decent guy. I rode on the track at some of the same times he had the C1 out - and it made pretty noises, but ultimately wasn't much faster than a well built 600. Shane Turpin got to ride the bike that week, and the counter rotating crank shaft really did make the bike nice to turn (according to shane)

Shane has since ridden one of their electric bikes to a win in a Miller TTX GP and he told me that electric bikes are probably the future of racing.

The counter rotating shaft is ultimately the demise of this engine. The additional frictional losses prevented the engine from making the necessary horsepower to be competitive. When it made appropriate power it blew up within an hour. When it was durable it simply didn't make power.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    The counter rotating shaft is ultimately the demise of this engine. The additional frictional losses prevented the engine from making the necessary horsepower to be competitive. When it made appropriate power it blew up within an hour. When it was durable it simply didn't make power.

Scott
    Zackly. It was a novel effort, but, unltimately doomed by it's own configuration. It'd be interesting to see what a square4 with 2 shorter counter-rotating cranks like the old GP1 2-strokes could do. You'd lose a little power with one extra main bearing vs. an inline-4, and the geared crank, but it would be a VERY compact engine without the 90deg gearset that wook a lot of the power out of the C1.

I would love to meet the guy, that must have been cool.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Michael gave me a hat and some other stuff once. Same Miller/Discovery day that Scott is referring to. I can't remember, but I may have made the Discovery show talking to Shane behind the bike. I have been on TV too many times to count
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser