Thread: Independence Pass

Independence Pass

I Planing a trip to head out west to Glenwood Springs. I have decided I am going to take hwy 24 all the way, better scenery as opposed to I25 and I70. I am having a hard time deciding if I want to take independence pass into aspen then head west or if I want to take hwy 24 to Eagle-Vail then hop on I70. Has anybody gone over independence pass? How was it? Also has anybody taken is route on their bike?

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Re: Independence Pass

Thanks, I have been over the pass a few times in a cage but didn't really pay attention to the road, mainly gravel and where it sits, road damage, etc..

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 650rguy View Post
    Thanks, I have been over the pass a few times in a cage but didn't really pay attention to the road, mainly gravel and where it sits, road damage, etc..
    Take it easy and you'll be fine. Ride it twice - that way you'll know.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Awesome thanks

650r... Why not take U.S. 24 almost all the way, anyway, instead of I-25 to I-70 and the drone west. When you reach Twin Lakes and the CO 82 turnoff to Independence Pass, at that time decide to make the turn west for Independence Pass or continue on to Leadville, staying on U.S. 24 for the great Tennessee Pass and Battle Mountain, through Minturn to I-70, then through the excellent Glenwood Canyon on I-70 to Glenwood Springs.

- The Independence Pass option delivers the famed Independence Pass and its deeply scenic views. It also delivers traffic and one dud of a busy four lane ride between Aspen and Glenwood Springs through Basalt, Carbondale, etc.

- Staying on U.S. 24 past the turnoff to Aspen isn't the most exciting to Leadville, but staying on 24 to Minturn/I-70 delivers a mostly traffic quiet and thrilling rider's road, all the way to the interstate. Then you'll have a ho-hum stint for a short spell on I-70 until reaching the really pretty good I-70 through the Glenwood Canyon.

At the "A" of this map make your choice... https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=G...sz=11&t=m&z=10

Indy pass is a great ride! Just watch the weather because it can still get chilly up there in early summer.

Where are you coming from?

I'm coming from Colorado springs. I use to live in glenwood so the drive through the canyon has been done plenty but not on a bike. I was kind of planing to decide as I got closed but 24 to I70 sounds like a lot of fun as well. Yea 82 from aspen to glenwood can get boring and stuffed with people but that is at certain times...mostly rush hours. I guess I will just have to look at it when I get close to twin lakes...I'm planning on doing this June 30th and not returning until the 5th, so I have a little bit of time

Glenwood Canyon is fun, but the pass is better IMHO. Why not do one way coming out and the other going back?

If you are feeling adventurous, take frying pan road over hagerman pass!

I guess it is something I will have to make the decision about when I am close...I will take pictures and post them up.

From C Springs, I'd do something like this...

Southern Loop

Northern Loop
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Welcome to the site....Curious, do you have a Green 650R and live off Peterson Rd? If so seen ya pulling out of your place. If not, Hi!
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    FYI- The road from McCoy to I-70, Colorado River Road, is half dirt. It's hard packed, full of mag chloride, and doable on almost any bike, but it is dirt.

The only off-road that Multistrada owners ride!

(j/k Salsa)

No my 650 is black and naked and I live off wasatch not Peterson..I did head to never this afternoon, had a nice ride and played some pool then on the way home at 130 am I hit a 2ft deep puddle that washed over me and the bike...luckily I had rain gear on but I noticed my electrics are kind of funny now...headlight and cluster illum fading and kind of flickering so that will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    FYI- The road from McCoy to I-70, Colorado River Road, is half dirt. It's hard packed, full of mag chloride, and doable on almost any bike, but it is dirt.

The only off-road that Multistrada owners ride!

(j/k Salsa)
    I wouldn't want to spill my latte...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.