Thread: Aprilia Scooter: Setup/D&H/etc.?

Aprilia Scooter: Setup/D&H/etc.?

Just curious, how much would you guys expect for a cycle dealership to charge for setup, dealer/handling, paperwork, etc. Everything but sales tax, which are fixed obviously.

It's a new $3k Aprilia scooter, and I think my girl/friend is getting screwed by a local shop. I'll reveal the details later, AFTER she gets the deal done and scooter in hand. In case one of those cuntbag douchenozzles is a member here.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Re: Aprilia Scooter: Setup/D&H/etc.?

Although this subject has been beaten to death... numerous times... I'll play.

I expect to not pay dealer prep/setup/whatever fees. Purchase price, tax, title work. That's it. Also, it doesn't cost 500 dollars to file paperwork. Title fees are < 50 bucks.

I was playing this game yesterday (for a truck, but same difference). Now, as for the way the charges line up... I don't really care. I want a bottom line, OTD price. If the dealer wants to take some off the purchase price and put it toward the setup... makes no difference to me.

It amazes me that some dealers will hold your balls in a vice claiming that it's "the law" when I can go down the street to another dealer and not pay those same fees.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Although this subject has been beaten to death... numerous times... I'll play.
    Sorry, I did a search and most info was for a full-blown new bike, which is like $10k+. I wanted to see if the figures should be less on a little $3k scooter. Not sure how much different the setup labor process is? Thanks for the info though.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

^^ You would think so, but every dealer I've been to (car or bike) has a fixed price.

I agree that if it was required, it should be a sliding scale based upon purchase price...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Same with salsashark, i would not pay those fee's i actually just say i know you dont have to i stopped in here cause the last place tried to say it was the law/protocol and i know its not. most of the time they will Cut it down to realistic prices or say oh we dont charge that here to think they are stealing the businesses. but i would know a name of a shop that at least sells the bike/car/scooter you are looking at, they do shop there competitors so you cant bluff that part
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post

It amazes me that some dealers will hold your balls in a vice claiming that it's "the law" when I can go down the street to another dealer and not pay those same fees.
    What the law is is that if you charge a doc/dealer handling fee you MUST charge the same fee to EVERY customer. You can negotiate a bottom line but when it is written up the fee will be backed out of the negotiated price and then charged as a separate line item.

You are correct that there is no law saying you must charge a fee or how much, it just has to be the same for all customers.

Related question, what do they need to do for "setup"? Oil, coolant, lube, tire-pressure, and test-drive? What else? So I could set one up in like half hour. Are they fully assembled out of the crate pretty much? I've never seen one pulled out fresh...

What a scam.

hey someone has to put the mirrors on
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Related question, what do they need to do for "setup"? Oil, coolant, lube, tire-pressure, and test-drive? What else? So I could set one up in like half hour. Are they fully assembled out of the crate pretty much? I've never seen one pulled out fresh...

What a scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK303 View Post
    hey someone has to put the mirrors on
    Actually AOK is mostly right on this... Larger bikes tend to come with the front wheels/handlebars off and have to be assembled. Usually takes an experienced person about an hour to do it carefully.

The Daytona 675R comes fully assembled, as in all you have to do is take off the protective netting stuff, adjust the mirrors, fuel it, adjust tire pressures, and unlock the bike's ECU.

Almost all bikes these days come with oil, coolant, all related greases, oils, etc except for fuel.

A good tech will look it over and check all of the nuts and bolts, but the vast majority don't.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S