Thread: Trail Ridge Road and Colorado River Headwaters Byways

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Trail Ridge Road and Colorado River Headwaters Byways

Actually, these two routes weren't too hard to do in a day. The combined mileage was 369 for me and others in the group had varying mileage since their starting points were from different parts of the city and outside the city.

We had a good time...I had a wonderful time dragging my friends all over the place, too.

I've posted a couple of blogs along with photos on my site: mtnairloversview.wordpress.com

I wanted to take a moment to mention two parts of our route yesterday though.

• Gore Pass - this is a wonderfully twisty and scenic road that isn't traveled much. Unfortunately, since last year, road crews have patched the cracks all along this road with tar. And you know what that means to us...TAR SNAKES! Ugh! Well, it used to be a good route.
    • RMNP rangers - I always enjoy talking with park rangers, because of their wealth of knowledge of the park. But, they can get a tad over-zealous. I learned a while ago that you DO NOT speed in the park. Several factors come into play here and one of them is the amount of tourists all over the place, not to mention the wildlife crossing the road. Unfortunately, when we were in the park, one of the rangers flashed his headlights at us as we were coming down the west side of Trail Ridge. When I saw this, I just waved at the guy and kept on going. We were enjoying the views and having a good time just touring. At one point, I pulled off the road onto a pull-out and started snapping photos. Next thing I knew, another ranger came up on us and told us to sit and listen to him. He then proceeded to give us a speech about speeding because a ranger had seen 5 bikers coming down the road at a high rate of speed...EXCUSE ME! What's hard about this whole thing was that we were not speeding. And to be accused of it is hard to take. With that said, here's a few pointers for law enforcement: 1. If you see a rider on a sport bike cruisin down the road coming at you and he's/she's got one hand resting on his/her leg or hip, then he/she is NOT speeding; 2. If you see a sport bike rider take time to wave at you, then he's/she's NOT speeding; 3. If you see a group of sport bike riders wearing all their gear and gazing every now and then at the scenery as they ride, then they are NOT speeding. Note: Indicated on one of our group member's speedo at the point of the flashing lights was 33mph.

I love...no, I absolutely love the state and national parks system. We all need these parks to remain in their pristine conditions for generations to come. And while I know that a complete stranger like a park ranger would not know this, I would appreciate being treated with as much respect as I afford the wildlife of these parks.

Soap box done...how's about some photos of the day?

Tired riders...

...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Re: Trail Ridge Road and Colorado River Headwaters Byways

Good blog!
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Beautiful scenery and nice writeups, thx for sharing! Is that a "Beef on Weck" sandwich?

Definitely need to try these rides.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Beautiful scenery and nice writeups, thx for sharing! Is that a "Beef on Weck" sandwich?

Definitely need to try these rides.
    That was beef tenderloin in a wine-mushroom type sauce. Pretty tasty.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Cathy You gotta start letting me know about these long rides again! I got a long distance bike now and wanna put down some miles!

Enjoyed the blog! And your Byway tales! A great objective. Yes, Gore Pass is messed up with tar snakes that weren't brewed just right. SQUIRMY. The Trough Road, linked with the Colorado River Road, as part of the Headwaters Scenic Byway, deliver one of my finest ride "settings" in the state. Lonely, utterly scenic, and different than the typical alpine fling. I paused with a riding friend yesterday at the Gore Canyon overlook as in your image. We were on a mission to explore County 11 and Forest 212 between The Trough and Gore Pass. From along the way on County 11, with the Colorado River in the forested canyon below...

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    Cathy You gotta start letting me know about these long rides again! I got a long distance bike now and wanna put down some miles!
    You got it JJ!

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    Enjoyed the blog! And your Byway tales! A great objective. Yes, Gore Pass is messed up with tar snakes that weren't brewed just right. SQUIRMY. The Trough Road, linked with the Colorado River Road, as part of the Headwaters Scenic Byway, deliver one of my finest ride "settings" in the state. Lonely, utterly scenic, and different than the typical alpine fling. I paused with a riding friend yesterday at the Gore Canyon overlook as in your image. We were on a mission to explore County 11 and Forest 212 between The Trough and Gore Pass. From along the way on County 11, with the Colorado River in the forested canyon below...
    Thanks for the kuddos!

I dream of getting a dual sport. My bike is pretty harsh on my body on dirt roads. But, luckily the CRH wasn't that bad.

Looks like you had an awesome view up on that road. Love it!