Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you been to Turkey?

Have you been to Turkey?

Just booked some tickets to Istanbul for our honeymoon. We'll be there for 12 days. Has anybody been there? Where to go? What to do? What not to do? Any insider info would be great. Thanks!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: Have you been to Turkey?

My neighbor is in Turkey now for six days. I'll ask him when he returns.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Istanbul was filthy from what I remember. My friends lived in Ankara, which is the 2nd largest city and we had a blast there.

But, the beach towns are where you are gonna want to be mostly. Ilica beach in Çeşme is one of the best along the Aegean and Xuma beach in Bodrum is only a boat ride away to Mykonos in Greece

Pick up a lonely planet guide. I've travelled alot of the world on those and they are your bible for each locales bus times, places to avoid, times to hit the markets, etc, etc...
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Hey now...

That's nobody's business but the Turks'!

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Here ya go.

And yes, I do realize I'm an asshole. You're welcome!
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    My neighbor is in Turkey now for six days. I'll ask him when he returns.
    Yeah, let me know. Thanks, Ninja!

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    But, the beach towns are where you are gonna want to be mostly. Ilica beach in Çeşme is one of the best along the Aegean and Xuma beach in Bodrum is only a boat ride away to Mykonos in Greece
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    Pick up a lonely planet guide. I've travelled alot of the world on those and they are your bible for each locales bus times, places to avoid, times to hit the markets, etc, etc...
    I too have traveled a bit and always have my LP with me. I find them much better than Frommers or others. But for Europe you can't go wrong with Rick Steve's. My Turkey LP is currently being shipped to me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Hey now...

That's nobody's business but the Turks'!

I don't even know that song, but I can still tell you're off key. Please stop ruining the forum for everybody. kthnxbye

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    No, not an asshole. Maybe a pain in the ass? The tune was actually kind of catchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    No, not an asshole. Maybe a pain in the ass? The tune was actually kind of catchy.
    Just wait until you're singing it as you go to bed tonight... Then you'll be calling me an asshole. lol
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Just wait until you're singing it as you go to bed tonight... Then you'll be calling me an asshole. lol
    Fair enough. Then I reserve the right to retract my previous statement.

Here ya go.

I don't even know that song, but I can still tell you're off key. Please stop ruining the forum for everybody. kthnxbye
    From the above video... http://youtu.be/vankaSlfSr0?t=2m5s

perhaps a bit to obscure to only quote one line?! why you gotta be hatin?!

But to be honest, I had the They Might Be Giants version in my head when I replied...

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

No but they hold this now in Turkey
    http://youtu.be/VXlqhh57dhE

Where do you guys get this random shit? And you should know by know, hatin' is what I do best.

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    No but they hold this now in Turkey
    http://youtu.be/VXlqhh57dhE
    Wow, thanks. That doesn't help at all.

Where do you guys get this random shit? And you should know by know, hatin' is what I do best.
    What rock did you live under to never have heard of They Might be Giants?!

I'm familiar with They Might Be Giants, that's why I quoted the first video clip as a wtf?

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

What rock did you live under to never have heard of They Might be Giants?!
    I guess I live under a big HARD rock then....
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

I lived in Ankara, Turkey for a year when I was in the Air Force. My friends and I took a ferry boat ride up the Bosphorus/Istanbul Straight to the Black Sea.

While you're there, visit as many markets as you can. Turkey is a great place to buy gold, brass, and carpets. It's also the only place in the world where you can buy Meerschaum. It's a soft stone that artisans carve into ornate smoking pipes, chess sets, and decorative items. If you keep your eyes peeled, you can still find old Russian watch caps, airplane bomb sights that have been made into lamps, and other Cold War memorabilia.

There are tons of cool places to go in Turkey - but it all depends on how far you're willing to travel from Istanbul.

What to do:
    1. Have fun, and try to speak a few phrases of Turkish. The locals appreciate it.
    2. Turkey doesn't have hard liquor and only has two main beers: Tuborg and Efes. Tuborg is German, and not bad. Efes is Turkish and has zero quality control - so one beer might be watery and flat, and the next might be tasty.
    3. When you go shopping - be ready to bargain. Everything is negotiable. NEVER pay asking price. Also, it's customary for shop owners to offer you chai tea. It's good - but make sure it's really hot. Turkey's water supply is not chlorinated.
    4. Do not order a salad. It is washed in the local water and can make you sick.
    5. Do not have ice in your drinks. It is made from the local water.
    6. DO drink bottled water, soda, and beer.
    7. If you buy shwarma from a street vendor - make sure it's piping hot. (Shwarma is like a gyro: roasted chicken, beef, or lamb in a soft tortilla with creamy cucumber sauce).
    8. Be patient and courteous. If a Turk asks you what you think of their country - compliment the Hell out of it. Talk about how beautiful it is and how nice the people are. They love that.
    9. Take a lot of photos, but not at the airport. In Turkey - all airports are considered to be military installations.
    10. Enjoy. You are going to have a blast.

How would you like to get roundhouse kicked with a motorcycle?

I had a Turkish girlfriend in grad school, that help any?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Zanatos View Post
    While you're there, visit as many markets as you can. Turkey is a great place to buy gold, brass, and carpets. It's also the only place in the world where you can buy Meerschaum. It's a soft stone that artisans carve into ornate smoking pipes, chess sets, and decorative items. If you keep your eyes peeled, you can still find old Russian watch caps, airplane bomb sights that have been made into lamps, and other Cold War memorabilia.
    Cool. I love markets. Not much for shopping, but I love to see all of the crap they have there.

There are tons of cool places to go in Turkey - but it all depends on how far you're willing to travel from Istanbul.
    Willing to get away from the city. I just want to make sure I plan a trip that has a good balance of sites and downtime. I've heard cool stuff about Cappadocia, but it might be a little far from Istanbul with our limited time frame. What do you think? Is local/regional transport good?

What to do:
    1. Have fun, and try to speak a few phrases of Turkish. The locals appreciate it.
    2. Turkey doesn't have hard liquor and only has two main beers: Tuborg and Efes. Tuborg is German, and not bad. Efes is Turkish and has zero quality control - so one beer might be watery and flat, and the next might be tasty.
    3. When you go shopping - be ready to bargain. Everything is negotiable. NEVER pay asking price. Also, it's customary for shop owners to offer you chai tea. It's good - but make sure it's really hot. Turkey's water supply is not chlorinated.
    4. Do not order a salad. It is washed in the local water and can make you sick.
    5. Do not have ice in your drinks. It is made from the local water.
    6. DO drink bottled water, soda, and beer.
    7. If you buy shwarma from a street vendor - make sure it's piping hot. (Shwarma is like a gyro: roasted chicken, beef, or lamb in a soft tortilla with creamy cucumber sauce).
    8. Be patient and courteous. If a Turk asks you what you think of their country - compliment the Hell out of it. Talk about how beautiful it is and how nice the people are. They love that.
    9. Take a lot of photos, but not at the airport. In Turkey - all airports are considered to be military installations.
    10. Enjoy. You are going to have a blast.
    Most of this is good general travel knowledge for sure. The beer, shwarma and airport are good things that I didn't know.

Thanks again! If you think of anything else, let me know. Good foods to try? etc.

But to be honest, I had the They Might Be Giants version in my head when I replied...

Their newest album, "Join US" is quite good. You can borrow my "archival" copy.

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
    Their newest album, "Join US" is quite good. You can borrow my "archival" copy.
    I think you mean to say that you require a proper off site storage location as part of your personal disaster recovery plan.

Hey!

No illegal shenanigans in my travel thread!

Been 3 to 4 times but south in all inclusive resort. Never in Istanbul. It was easy for me to get around cuz a lot of Turks speak German and I look a bit Turkish.
    It is an Islamic and somewhat third world country. And it sometimes becomes obvious when it comes to females. Overall, I like it a lot!

=======

OK. I found some pics from Side/Turkey from 2010. Traveled with US passport - no problemo. I bought the visa at time of entry at the airport Make sure that the visa process still applies though.
    Oh, and depending on the time of year, it will be extremely hot.

Greek influence:

Amphitheater:

Uhm. I didn't know you couldn't take pics at the airport - I did anyways, and did not get arrested:

Life's a Biatch

Last edited by Ninja2; Tue Jun 12th, 2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Pics added :)

Just booked some tickets to Istanbul for our honeymoon. We'll be there for 12 days. Has anybody been there? Where to go? What to do? What not to do? Any insider info would be great. Thanks!
    Have been to Istanbul on business.

It's a diverse place (in just about every measure), a friendly place (never was safety a concern). You can participate in organized tours (Blue Mosque, boat rides, etc.) that are very good, yet will insulate you somewhat from the "regular life". Certainly participate in these kinds of activities, but also tour yourself, and also walk the streets. Get away from the Starbucks area. See "real" Istanbul. I've bought food from street vendors (Mmmmm) and have walked the streets for long hours. Always the most memorable and special of my stays.

Great choice for a honeymoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    Been 3 to 4 times but south in all inclusive resort. Never in Istanbul. It was easy for me to get around cuz a lot of Turks speak German and I look a bit Turkish.
    It is an Islamic and somewhat third world country. And it sometimes becomes obvious when it comes to females. Overall, I like it a lot!
    Wow, great pics! Makes me want to leave today. That's interesting, I didn't know that many Turks spoke German. interesting/cool. I'll have to pick up a few phrases before I go.

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    Have been to Istanbul on business.

It's a diverse place (in just about every measure), a friendly place (never was safety a concern). You can participate in organized tours (Blue Mosque, boat rides, etc.) that are very good, yet will insulate you somewhat from the "regular life". Certainly participate in these kinds of activities, but also tour yourself, and also walk the streets. Get away from the Starbucks area. See "real" Istanbul. I've bought food from street vendors (Mmmmm) and have walked the streets for long hours. Always the most memorable and special of my stays.

Great choice for a honeymoon.
    I'm much more of the street food/explore on my own kind, then of Starbucks/tours. I don't even like Starbucks here! Good to know it felt safe and friendly.

Yeah. I've been there. Got caught trying to smuggle hashish back to the states. The made a movie out my demise. My nuts still hurts.