Thread: June 6 Poll Puts Colorado Voters 61% in Favor of Amendment 64

June 6 Poll Puts Colorado Voters 61% in Favor of Amendment 64

http://blog.norml.org/2012/06/11/new...l-and-tobacco/

A just-released statewide poll by Rasmussen Reports provides strong evidence that Colorado may likely become the first state to re-legalize and regulate the personal use of marijuana this November.

On June 6th, Rasmussen Polling conducted a survey of likely voters in Colorado and found majority support for marijuana legalization. Sixty-one percent of those surveyed supported legalizing marijuana if it were regulated like alcohol and cigarettes. Only 27 percent of respondents are opposed to legalization and 12 percent remain undecided.

This is great news for Amendment 64, a 2012 statewide ballot initiative to end marijuana prohibition and regulate marijuana like alcohol, which will appear on the Colorado ballot this November. Rasmussen’s recent survey shows support shifting upwards from previous polling. In December 2011, Public Policy Polling reported that 49 percent of Coloradan’s believed that marijuana use should be legal versus 40 percent who believed it should remain illegal.

Lately, the mainstream media has caught on to the important role that Amendment 64 will play in this fall’s presidential election. This poll is just further proof of that claim’s validity. During the same time period, Rasmussen polled Colorado voters on their presidential preference and respondents were split, 45 percent for Obama and 45 percent support for Romney. Amendment 64 promises to turn out greater numbers of independent minded and youth voters in November, if either candidate embraced rational marijuana policy reforms, this important battleground state could be theirs to win. If neither does, it remains to be seen if they will lose these potential votes to the third party candidate, Libertarian Gary Johnson, who advocates for marijuana legalization as a part of his platform. The marijuana issue is one that the two major parties can continue to ignore, but they are now doing so at their own peril.

You can learn more about Amendment 64 in Colorado here.

You can view more data on the Rasmussen poll here.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Re: June 6 Poll Puts Colorado Voters 61% in Favor of Amendment 64

I'm curious how Oakland city budget has been doing since (I think) they were one of the first bigger cities to legalize/regulate.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

This is a great reason to make sure you're registered and to vote this November.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I'm curious how Oakland city budget has been doing since (I think) they were one of the first bigger cities to legalize/regulate.
    Strictly speaking, Oakland didn't legalize and regulate completely (as would be done with A64 on a State level). Oakland has MMJ rules similar to Colorado, with the added exception that they have explicit municipal-level acceptance of industrialized growing operations.

This is in stark contrast to A64, which aims to restrict access to those under 21, charge up to $5k for business applications ($500 if already MMJ biz), and tax it at %15. Obviously business will still face tax problems at the Federal level, but this would be a massive step in the right direction and the amount of tax revenue is surely needed at the muni and state levels right now.
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Tue Jun 12th, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    This is in stark contrast to A64, which aims to restrict access to those under 21, charge up to $5k for business applications ($500 if already MMJ biz), and tax it at %15. Obviously business will still face tax problems at the Federal level, but this would be a massive step in the right direction and the amount of tax revenue is surely needed at the muni and city levels right now.
    Nice, sounds good to me (without reading details yet). Funnel that tax revenue back into the city/state budgets, public schools, parks&rec, openspace/forestservice, etc. Kinda like they do with 50% of lottery sales.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Nice, sounds good to me (without reading details yet). Funnel that tax revenue back into the city/state budgets, public schools, parks&rec, openspace/forestservice, etc. Kinda like they do with 50% of lottery sales.
    The amendment 64 website (just google amendment 64) has the full bill on it.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Bump.

Representative Polis doing it right at the DEA Oversight Committee meeting yesterday 6/10.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/06/2...han-marijuana/
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Well I'm glad to see a complete moronic embicile is heading up the DEA. *facepalm*

"Marijuana is an addictive drug." Yeah people get strung out on weed everyday, it's SOOOO BAAAAAAD!

Pfft... I don't really care either way, but I will probably vote for it just so we can move on to MORE IMPORTANT things and I don't have to hear about it anymore!

Well I'm glad to see a complete moronic embicile is heading up the DEA. *facepalm*
    She's not dumb; she's likely highly intelligent and well educated. And I'm pretty much certain that she knows the correct answers to those questions. She's just cares more about keeping her position (and moving on to better and more highly paid positions) than she does about telling the truth.

Personal integrity isn't a trait politicians look for when making appointments.

Good point, agree. I was just trying to insult her for dodging the questions, instead of answering what we all know is a true fact. Marijuana, although unhealthy, is nowhere near the threat that all the nasty "white powder" drugs are, IMNSHO.