Thread: BJ Penn returns for UFC 152

BJ Penn returns for UFC 152

In general I tend to loose a little respect for athletes that "retire" and then come back. I kinda just feel like they have one foot out the door... Should be interesting to see how BJ does against MacDonald. Penn is going to need to bring his "A" game for sure.

http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/0...ews-28632.html
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Re: BJ Penn returns for UFC 152

We lose Kenny Florian to retirement, but get BJ back from retirement in the same week...

I've read BJ's autobiography and this guy's life has always been about fighting, so no surprise he couldn't stay gone.

I don't know how I feel about legends coming back from retirement. I always like to see legends go out on a good note, because seems like many come back just to get beat by newer younger guys. Should be an interesting fight and can't wait to see it.

BJ will always be one of the best in my eyes. Still hurt how bad he beat my boy Diego Sanchez down. Not to mention Florian too
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I'm very excited to see this. I hope the Penn that walked over Sanchez show up for this fight
    You've Grown Quite Mangy Cat, But Your Grins' A Comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMike View Post
    I'm very excited to see this. I hope the Penn that walked over Sanchez show up for this fight
    Yeah let's hope it is not the BJ that fought GSP. Was so bad BJ's corner threw the towel in

May be why BJ is down to fight GSP's boy and not GSP

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

BJ is likely to get worked in this fight.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Yeah let's hope it is not the BJ that fought GSP. Was so bad BJ's corner threw the towel in

May be why BJ is down to fight GSP's boy and not GSP
    How many times do you want BJ to get beat-up by Georges?
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    How many times do you want BJ to get beat-up by Georges?
    True! That is why I am wondering if he choose Rorry instead; Rorry has been know to be close with GSP and train with him a lot. Not to mention GSP corners him sometimes.

Whatever BJ shows up, I hope its worth it. Even though I dont want to watch it, I bet Penn gets his ass handed to him Mac is a badass.

If GSP hadnt cheated I think Penn would have got him

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Whatever BJ shows up, I hope its worth it. Even though I dont want to watch it, I bet Penn gets his ass handed to him Mac is a badass.

If GSP hadnt cheated I think Penn would have got him

Are you refering to the "vaseoline" incident? Pretty sure it was looked into and found to be false. Not sure how a fighter would get away with that anyways since they get checked before they get into the octagon.

So when this video came out I watched it like twenty times. Just watched it another twenty times an still do not see where people see vaseoline and not just a guy getting his shoulders rubbed; I don't see any residue left. Hard to tell from the quality, and know other UFC fighters have accussed him too though.

Just seem so hard to cheat like that when you can see the two people watching for this next to him (marron coat guys).

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Are you refering to the "vaseoline" incident? Pretty sure it was looked into and found to be false. Not sure how a fighter would get away with that anyways since they get checked before they get into the octagon.
    There was not enough there to catch GSP but there have been more than a couple fighters that have accused him of this kind of thing (Sherk, Hughes, Serra). It was huge in the Penn fight because it made it impossible for BJ to get his legs over GSPs shoulders () from the guard position.

Watch the video. There is no way you can tell me that the guys in his corner didnt know what they were doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvk5kp7sRHw

The UFC has really cracked down on vaseline usage, and if I'm not mistaken, it can now only be "administered" by the commission's specified Cutmen.

Anderson Silva has a real famous clip of him greasing up during a UFC 97 fight, that is FAR more obvious, than the clip of GSP with Phil Nurse. Personally, I think that while it is a small advantage to be greased-up, it's not as big of one as people think it is.

In the Penn vs. St. Pierre II fight, GSP absolutely abused him, and I don't recall him ever being in any type of true submission danger, where extra "vas" would have benefitted him. I mean he literally annihilated Penn from top-to-bottom, and won when Penn was unable to answer the bell for R5. I distinctly remember this win by GSP because in the pre-fight hype shows, it was Penn who was accusing GSP of being a "quitter" in his fights, and I thought the way it ended was particularly ironic.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Thu Jun 14th, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

The UFC has really cracked down on vaseline usage, and if I'm not mistaken, it can now only be "administered" by the commission's specified Cutmen.

Anderson Silva has a real famous clip of him greasing up during a UFC 97 fight, that is FAR more obvious, than the clip of GSP with Phil Nurse. Personally, I think that while it is a small advantage to be greased-up, it's not as big of one as people think it is.

In the Penn vs. St. Pierre II fight, GSP absolutely abused him, and I don't recall him ever being in any type of true submission danger, where extra "vas" would have benefitted him. I mean he literally annihilated Penn from top-to-bottom, and won when Penn was unable to answer the bell for R5. I distinctly remember this win by GSP because in the pre-fight hype shows, it was Penn who was accusing GSP of being a "quitter" in his fights, and I thought the way it ended was particularly ironic.
    I remember it as well and while it may not have seemed like that big of a deal, it kinda was...

So GSP was kicking Penns ass, I get that but we all know how fast things can change in the octagon and taking Penns ability to secure the leg locks from the guard allowed him no attach from his back (and we all know BJ is capable of pulling leg triangles off from the guard).

I dont have time now to look but if my memory serves me right Penn was throwing his legs up and they were just flying off of GSPs shoulders.

Dont fool yourself B. If it were you that had been fighting GSP () and you saw that shit, you would be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    <Snip...> Dont fool yourself B. If it were you that had been fighting GSP () and you saw that shit, you would be pissed.
    Only if he did it waaay more obvious than I did.

Seriously though... If I had to fight GSP, I would be in deep, deep trouble. Nothing very appealing about getting double legged after eating a series of 2 or 7 jabs, and then catching a healthy dose of mouth-elbows. Mmm...

I could pour 2 jars of Wesson on my head, and it probably wouldn't help.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Thu Jun 14th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

If I had to fight GSP, I would be in deep, deep trouble. Nothing very appealing about getting double legged after eating a serious of 2 or 7 jabs, and then catching a healthy dose of mouth-elbows. Mmm...

I could pour 2 jars of Wesson on my head, and it probably wouldn't help.
    You and me both buddy Id give it hell but it would not end pretty.