Thread: Who has a chain tool and wants to help out?

Who has a chain tool and wants to help out?

Im looking to put a new chain and sprocket on the bike, and it happens to be something I am unfamiliar with plus I dont have a chain tool. Anyone want to help out a college kid for a bit? I have have a 6 pack of beer with your name on it! Im looking at Saturday if I can somehow source the parts by then.

My bike has the stock chain on it and I am getting close to 30k miles, so it needs a change.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Re: Who has a chain tool and wants to help out?

I'd help ya but I don't like college kids.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

I only like college girls
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

In seriousness, this chain tool + this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gSuY...e_gdata_player will do the job. I could probably help you either Saturday evening or Sunday evening. I'm unfamiliar with doing it on a regular swingarm though. If you're wheel needs to come off you'll obviously need a rear stand and such.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    I only like college girls
    ^^^ This.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I don't know what you ride so;

have you checked and know whether you have a master link chain?
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    I don't know what you ride so;

have you checked and know whether you have a master link chain?
    I have an 05 r6, stock chain seems continuous but I dont think that matters. Im looking to probably get a rivet style chain (I think thats what it is called).
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

If you want to come to the Springs I'll show/help on Sunday, other than that definitely listen to sloridr's advice, and for extra bonus points, take it to someone that has an impact gun with the right size socket. (Mine is a 27mm).

Then a dremel works fantastic for cutting the chain off.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    In seriousness, this chain tool + this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gSuY...e_gdata_player will do the job. I could probably help you either Saturday evening or Sunday evening. I'm unfamiliar with doing it on a regular swingarm though. If you're wheel needs to come off you'll obviously need a rear stand and such.
    Im good for Saturday evening and I could ride over with my stand on my back or something college student dumb like that.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

Remove the counter shaft nut before you remove the chain and rear wheel. An impact makes it much easier to do. If not a 1/2" breaker bar will work as well. As for the new chain make sure not to cut it too short. Grand prix did this to me once...
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by sloridr View Post
    Remove the counter shaft nut before you remove the chain and rear wheel. An impact makes it much easier to do. If not a 1/2" breaker bar will work as well. As for the new chain make sure not to cut it too short. Grand prix did this to me once...
    Good advice, I'll add to this:
    1. Make sure you replace the chain and sprockets as a set.
    2. I'd get Renthal sprockets (hard anodized is a MUST if you're going with an aluminum rear sprocket) or stock.
    3. If you're changing ratio/sprocket sizes, you might/probably need a different length chain.
    4. To loosen the countershaft nut, have a friend step on the rear brake while you break the nut loose, or if solo, try and wedge something in the brake pedal to do the same, or, you can use something that won't damage your rim spokes to keep the wheel from turning.
    5. Make SURE you properly torque the countershaft nut and use a fresh tab washer or locktite etc. You should also be as careful with the rear sprocket nuts/bolts.
    6. Thoroughly lube the chain and sprockets (mating tooth faces) with whatever CHAIN lube you use (not oil or WD-40) before installing the set.

I have a breaker/staker for 530 DID chains (though it should work for all chains), but I don't loan out tools and I've got my daughter Saturday. If I don't get her, maybe I can help. I don't know if that breaker would work on the smaller size chain you have though.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    Im good for Saturday evening and I could ride over with my stand on my back or something college student dumb like that.
    A couple things that will be needed.

Manual if you have one
    32mm socket. I can see if I have one but if not you'll need to get one.
    Medium loctite
    Know how many links the chain needs to be
    An open schedule for the night
    A ride home if becomes necessary

I have an 05 r6, stock chain seems continuous but I dont think that matters. Im looking to probably get a rivet style chain (I think thats what it is called).
    I read all the mess above and can't tell if you got help or not. I have everything you need and I would recommend a DID. Pricey, but my favorite. The wife has an R6 as well and since you are doing the sprockets, I would recommend changing to a 530. The R6 comes with a 532 which is bigger than what is on my R1. If you still need help, hit us up...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

With that said, I personally would take it to Dean. He has better tools then I do, and is familiar with the Yami's.

Wrote this up a few years ago.. It aint rocket science.

1.) Remove left lower fairing. I do it without taking off the mid fairing because I'm lazy like that. Then remove two bolts that hold on the coolant overflow and cable tie it out of the way.

2.) Remove front sprocket cover and work it out and off bike. I did this without removing the shift rod. While you are in this area you need to straighten the large counter shaft lock washer so it's flat. I do this with a flat head screw driver. Leave the nut tight for now.

3.) Next I wrapped a thick towel around a metal rod (mine is from a floor jack) and put it between the wheel and swingarm to hold the wheel in place as I loosened the sprocket nut (32mm). You can also try holding the rear brake if you want. That method does not work well at all. Once you loosen the nut just leave it on the bike for now so you can cut the chain..

4.) Now it's safe to cut the chain off. I used a dremel and cut off the end of the rivet heads and then popped off the sideplate with a flat head screw driver. Once the link is removed with the bike in nuetral roll the chain off the front sprocket.

Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

5.) Next remove rear wheel and remove rear sprocket (17mm nuts).

6.) Install new sprocket to wheel tightening with cross pattern. Torque 72ft-lbs USE CAUTION! some have stripped the nuts (read this thread)

7.) Install rear wheel and now is a good time to take off the front sprocket all ready loose and put on new sprocket hand tight with new lock washer. Now you need to figure out how many links you need for your setup. With the 15/49 I am same as stock length so I had to cut 4 links off a 120 link chain. Double check before you cut to many off! Then run new chain up and around front sprocket and connect it on the rear sprocket.

8.) Now with a rivet tool press the side plate onto the chain. Then rivet together. I have seen rivet specs on how big you should press the head( I don't have the specs). You want to press it enough, but don't want to crack or split the rivet. The rivet tool is a must have and lasts forever so it's worth the money.

9.) You can now adjust the chain slack and wheel alignment. Next torque up the rear wheel axle nut(80ft-lbs). Then tighten and torque front sprocket nut (65ft-lbs) with wheel wedged reversed from removal. Crimp lock washer with channel locks in two locations.

10.) Install cover, coolant overflow and fairing and your done.

11.) You owe me beer next time I see you.

Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    I read all the mess above and can't tell if you got help or not. I have everything you need and I would recommend a DID. Pricey, but my favorite. The wife has an R6 as well and since you are doing the sprockets, I would recommend changing to a 530. The R6 comes with a 532 which is bigger than what is on my R1. If you still need help, hit us up...
    I would love to take you up on this since Jmetz has passed it over Ill send you a PM soon after I find parts. What kind of days/nights are you free?

I just recommended, since he offered, is more familiar with your bike, and has better tools. You are also welcome to do it over here.. Either or, it's no sweat off my balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    I just recommended, since he offered, is more familiar with your bike, and has better tools. You are also welcome to do it over here.. Either or, it's no sweat off my balls.
    Thats what I meant :P Only able to throw quick messages out while at work, haha.

Just givin ya a hard time.

I would love to take you up on this since Jmetz has passed it over Ill send you a PM soon after I find parts. What kind of days/nights are you free?
    Pretty much anytime after 2:30 during the week and anytime on the weekends. I'll PM you my email, this site doesn't notify me that I have messages.

Hit Jim at TFOG for parts...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M