Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2012 (Spoiler)

MotoGP 2012 (Spoiler)

I decided I wanted a thread that talked about all of the races. I'm tired of trying to find the one thread, where someone said that one thing, about that one race. So maybe we can just throw all of our insights into one area? I need to go find the thread where Rybo listed all of his predictions, and let him know which ones he needs to correct.

Race 5- UK

Couldn't believe the front four! Hayden, Bautista, Spies and Stoner! With all of the riders up front, taking different lines and fighting for it, it was more like a SBK race, not MotoGP.

Man, it was nice to see Hayden given'em hell again! Maybe he's trying to secure a ride for another year?

And Spies, I'm sorry but I don't think he should be on a factory team. I like him, but you could tell he was riding over his head and it was only a matter of time before he either crashed or got passed.

A solid battle between Stoner/Lorenzo! That was pretty cool. I can't imagine dicing it up like, at those kinds of speeds!

Cal- Now that's riding! cracked bone in this foot/ankle, started at the back of the grid, and then ended up in front of Rossi? Sah-weet. He's riding like he wants a factory bike next year. He did awesome!

Re: MotoGP 2012 (Spoiler)

I could'nt get over watching the two front runners brake and seeing there rear wheel hover oh so slightly even as they started to lean in the turn. Most impressive rider I thought was Cal. Go CAL!!!!!!! Yeah it was nice to see Stoner and Lorenzo go at it for about 4 corners. Graceful for sure. Just can't help but think Stoner will start running harder to not let Lorenzo take a larger lead in the series
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

"Jorge was gone and I tried twice to pass Casey, but he pulled a little again and in the last chicane, I tried to overtake him but I had a flash in my mind and I saw both Repsol Honda's on the ground, so I settled for third place.” - Dani Pedrosa after Silverstone 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    "Jorge was gone and I tried twice to pass Casey, but he pulled a little again and in the last chicane, I tried to overtake him but I had a flash in my mind and I saw both Repsol Honda's on the ground, so I settled for third place.” - Dani Pedrosa after Silverstone 2012

flashbacks suck!

Personally, I enjoyed the Moto2 race much more. Serious battle for 2nd!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I think it was a great race. I think Spies did a great job, until it looked like his tires went off. I disagree with the comment he shouldn't be on a factory bike. He's consistantly better than Hayden, and Hayden spent many years on the factory Honda a lot slower relative to his teammate. I am impressed with Crutchlow as well, especially this race, but think Spies should have the factory ride for at least another season after this. Then, if he's not up to snuff, go to the satellite team.

Great Moto2 race as well, though I have big issues with the "Honda only" engine rule. I especially liked Redding spank Marquez like that.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I think it was a great race. I think Spies did a great job, until it looked like his tires went off. I disagree with the comment he shouldn't be on a factory bike. He's consistantly better than Hayden, and Hayden spent many years on the factory Honda a lot slower relative to his teammate. I am impressed with Crutchlow as well, especially this race, but think Spies should have the factory ride for at least another season after this. Then, if he's not up to snuff, go to the satellite team.

Great Moto2 race as well, though I have big issues with the "Honda only" engine rule. I especially liked Redding spank Marquez like that.

I agree, Spies is a helluva rider, just having a rough start to the season. With the fire that's been lit under his ass the last couple races, Im sure we'll see him as a frontrunner in no time. Just be patient.

Now, with that out of the way, what are your issues with the Honda only powerplants in Moto2? Thatas a very LARGE contributor to the epicness that is Moto2. Some of the best racing/passing/riding period happens in that class. Moto2 races are an absolute blast to watch, IMHO. Who cares if theyre all Honda powered??
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

YOURE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD!

Quote Originally Posted by FZjake719 View Post
    I agree, Spies is a helluva rider, just having a rough start to the season. With the fire that's been lit under his ass the last couple races, Im sure we'll see him as a frontrunner in no time. Just be patient.

Now, with that out of the way, what are your issues with the Honda only powerplants in Moto2? Thatas a very LARGE contributor to the epicness that is Moto2. Some of the best racing/passing/riding period happens in that class. Moto2 races are an absolute blast to watch, IMHO. Who cares if theyre all Honda powered??
    I think one of the major factors working against Spies is his sheer size. He's competing against flyweight jockeys, and the bikes are, frankly, too small for him. I think that's part of what he's struggling with.

I don't like that the bikes all sound the same, and that the other manufactuers aren't allowed to compete. Too much a "spec" series for me. I think they should adopt World Supersport engine rules verbatim. This way, it would lower the cost because a competitor could run BOTH series if he switched frames, and also the parts manufacturers would be making a lot more parts, there being a manufacturing savings in bulk. NASCRAP is "artificially" close racing for the same reason: all the cars, regardless of paint, have essentially the same engine, frame, and bodywork. I LIKE seeing teams free to experiment and innovate. To stand or fall on their own merit.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I think one of the major factors working against Spies is his sheer size. He's competing against flyweight jockeys, and the bikes are, frankly, too small for him. I think that's part of what he's struggling with.

I don't like that the bikes all sound the same, and that the other manufactuers aren't allowed to compete. Too much a "spec" series for me. I think they should adopt World Supersport engine rules verbatim. This way, it would lower the cost because a competitor could run BOTH series if he switched frames, and also the parts manufacturers would be making a lot more parts, there being a manufacturing savings in bulk. NASCRAP is "artificially" close racing for the same reason: all the cars, regardless of paint, have essentially the same engine, frame, and bodywork. I LIKE seeing teams free to experiment and innovate. To stand or fall on their own merit.
    I can kind of see what you're talking about there, to a point. But there are a few manufacturers (4-5 IIRC?) making different chassis and bodywork for the Moto2 fellas, each with their own take on what the ideal bike should be. The best part (to me) is you can see all of the manufacturers throughout the whole paddock running in different places, and many times have 3-4 different manufacturers in the top five finishing positions. The bikes themselves (while restricted engine manufacturer-wise) are still purpose built "prototype" machines, they just happen to share the same powerplant.

I do know what you mean as far as the entire field sounding the same. That aspect does get old rather quickly...
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

That could be, but before this year started many folks were predicting great things for him because the 1000s were supposed to make the rider size less of an issue. I hope he can turn it around, but man has he struggled so far.

I enjoy this year a lot more than last because the riders are taking a lot of different lines, whereas last year the 800s seemed to make everyone take the exact same ones. That, and Stoner was destroying everyone every weekend.

Colin's done just fine (well, until this year), and he's bigger and older than Spies. For many years he was constantly top 5. I don't think that's a valid excuse. Maybe off the line (f'ing mini-Pedrosa!), but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lth View Post
    That could be, but before this year started many folks were predicting great things for him because the 1000s were supposed to make the rider size less of an issue. I hope he can turn it around, but man has he struggled so far.

I enjoy this year a lot more than last because the riders are taking a lot of different lines, whereas last year the 800s seemed to make everyone take the exact same ones. That, and Stoner was destroying everyone every weekend.
    The ENGINE is larger, the bike is not changed much as far as size and the aero bits. Look at how close the 750 and 1000 Suzuki's are in size and weight. So, yes there's more HP to use, but the bike itself is still quite small. Remember everyone commenting on the Honda built for Pedrosa vs. Hayden?

I agree abou the different lines, the 800's were certainly one-liner's.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Since i aint got shit to do today, time for some good ole conspiracy talk. Honda's secret plan to get back in the Championship worked today.

Last year, Marco was the hit man, but Lorenzo was able to get back. This year, its Alvaro, and it was so successful, the M1 lost a motor, effectively putting the pilot on the sidelines for the remainder of the race

Thats my story, and i am sticking to it !
    Last edited by Ted; Sat Jun 30th, 2012 at 11:16 AM.

For some reason I cant access the Speed Website to see when they are going to re-air the race? I know the results, but does anyone know when they will be showing it again? For Assen?..... GOT IT. Just popped up. Was starting to panic
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Sat Jun 30th, 2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: It came up

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    For some reason I cant access the Speed Website to see when they are going to re-air the race? I know the results, but does anyone know when they will be showing it again? For Assen?..... GOT IT. Just popped up. Was starting to panic

Speed channel 7pm tonight

Awesome thank you

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

That race was... interesting. Lorezno taken out, Rossi in for a tire change, Spies being Spies... wtf is going on?!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

What's been going on with the tires lately? Knowing Bridgestone they gotta be deeply concentrated on figuring out a solution? It's weird these issues seem to be happening so abruptly.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

What's been going on with the tires lately? Knowing Bridgestone they gotta be deeply concentrated on figuring out a solution? It's weird these issues seem to be happening so abruptly.
    Any tirecan chunk, it just happened to Rossi this time.
    Unfortunatly, I think the ducati is not up to the task this season.
    This picture sums up thier season so far

* Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Any tirecan chunk, it just happened to Rossi this time.
    Unfortunatly, I think the ducati is not up to the task this season.
    This picture sums up thier season so far

Mother Goose nailed it on the head... What an interesting race especially the first dozen laps. Bautista taking Lorenzo out...man it seems like Lorenzo came out on top( uninjured ). Sucks for him but great for Stoner. Nice work on Stoner shadowing Pedrosa as well. Still though the rider that impresses me the most( other than Stoner) is Crutchlow. Guys just a beast and it's time to order up a Crutchlow shirt to stick in the closet. I hope he gets a good ride next season, he's obviously earning it HUGE and has a stupid amount of grit to go along with his talent.
    With the tires I agree they can chunk at any time, but I was referring to the last few races and not this one imparticularly. It's reminds me of the events occurring with Michelin before the series went to a Spec tire rule.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Rossi's rear tire....

Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Mother Goose nailed it on the head... What an interesting race especially the first dozen laps. Bautista taking Lorenzo out...man it seems like Lorenzo came out on top( uninjured ). Sucks for him but great for Stoner. Nice work on Stoner shadowing Pedrosa as well. Still though the rider that impresses me the most( other than Stoner) is Crutchlow. Guys just a beast and it's time to order up a Crutchlow shirt to stick in the closet. I hope he gets a good ride next season, he's obviously earning it HUGE and has a stupid amount of grit to go along with his talent.
    With the tires I agree they can chunk at any time, but I was referring to the last few races and not this one imparticularly. It's reminds me of the events occurring with Michelin before the series went to a Spec tire rule.
    Jorge did get injured, has slight tendon damage on his right tibia. I only say this because I have him on my FB and follow his posts religiously. He posted yesterday morning a pic of him in the hospital with his lower half of his right leg, ankle, and foot wrapped up and him giving a thumbs up. In his caption (loosly translated, being as it was in spanish) he mentioned the tendon damage to his tibia, along with how he doesnt hold a grudge against Bautista, but is happy with MGP's decision to force a last place start for Bautista in the following race.

Let's hope he heals quickly!

Not only that, Compared to the rest of the season Spies did very well at this GP. He was smoothe, and consistent most of the race until his tire faded to the point that he couldnt battle with Dovi anymore. He went from the back/middle of the pack to top5 for the second week in a row, not to mentioned held the last podium position for the majority of the session. I tend to think he's starting to get comfy with the setup, and he'll only be getting faster. Then again, Im a pretty major Yamaha fan, so I'm biased....

ALso, I'd love to shit on that toilet. That's better than a gold john, IMHO....
    Last edited by FZjake719; Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote Originally Posted by FZjake719 View Post
    Jorge did get injured, has slight tendon damage on his right tibia. I only say this because I have him on my FB and follow his posts religiously. He posted yesterday morning a pic of him in the hospital with his lower half of his right leg, ankle, and foot wrapped up and him giving a thumbs up. In his caption (loosly translated, being as it was in spanish) he mentioned the tendon damage to his tibia, along with how he doesnt hold a grudge against Bautista, but is happy with MGP's decision to force a last place start for Bautista in the following race.

Let's hope he heals quickly!

That's better than a gold john, IMHO....
    Hey thanks I did not know that. Wow, thats a larger game changer than I originally thought. And he'll yes that's better than a gold toilet. Would be kinda cool if it came with an exhaust, shock and handlebars too!

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    That race was... interesting. Lorezno taken out, Rossi in for a tire change, Spies being Spies... wtf is going on?!
    Dunno what you mean about Spies, he finished a solid 4th, behind only people with a LOT more factory experience. I think he had a good solid run. I wanted a win, but.....

And Lorenzo getting taken out SUX!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Rossi's rear tire....

Holy shite!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian