Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police may try & confiscate your GoPro to gather evidence against your riding buddies

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Police may try & confiscate your GoPro to gather evidence against your riding buddies

I really don't think this is gonna catch on (at least I hope it won't):

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/06/20/s...al-day-arrest/
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Re: Police may try & confiscate your GoPro to gather evidence against your riding bud

Interesting. I'm pretty sure they can't just take the camera. Then the officer stated he pulled him over to take the camera, then trumped up a charge.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Re: Police may try & confiscate your GoPro to gather evidence against your riding bud

If they feel it contains evidence used in a *gasp* CRIME (cause we all know how HUGE a crime riding in groups is, *sarcasm*), then who knows what the gestapo police state can try to pull. After everything you've read in the last 10 years, would it surprise you? Especially how they're trying to make it illegal to tape police stops so they can hide and cover up police beatings? It's not (1984) fiction or conspiracy theory anymore, it's reality.

"We are going to the scene because another officer was being surrounded by a hundred bikers."
    Huh?
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Not likely the same event, but here's a video from a police cruiser in Dallas this past Memorial Day. One of the riders is the ultimate douchecanoe.

http://youtu.be/L_bFKtx42AM
    Last edited by birchyboy; Fri Jun 22nd, 2012 at 09:38 AM.

I already know someone that had theirs confiscated...
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Youtube user comment
    Squids like this are the reason why sport bike riders like us get hounded on by the police for no reason at all.
    this
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I'm not sure of the legality of taking someones personal property as evidence so please enlighten me

Isn't it your right to keep your own camera as evidence of innocence? Or are the police allowed to just take whatever they feel necessary for their side of the case?

Agree the rider should be allowed to keep it for his own defense. But even if not completely kosher, I'm sure the police state gestapo D.A. lawyers will EASILY find some way to legally justify the confiscation as part a "crime scene" or evidence of illegal activity.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

this makes me laugh.

Enough with blaming shit on squids.... We are all to blame, it's us as sportbike riders that ruin for ourselves.

Please tell me you have never sped through the canyons, went around a car while crossing the double yellow line, sped on the freeway, or/and never made an illegal lane change.....

Sorry..... What was this thread all about???
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Enough with blaming shit on squids.... We are all to blame, it's us as sportbike riders that ruin for ourselves.

Please tell me you have never sped through the canyons, went around a car while crossing the double yellow line, sped on the freeway, or/and never made an illegal lane change.....

+1 guilty as not charged but as seen on video from an un seized go pro

Quote Originally Posted by Fumet5uNo View Post
    +1 guilty as not charged but as seen on video from an un seized go pro
    Hahaha.. Nice!
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post

half agree

but i still want someone to answer my question because i actually don't know

I blame squids the same as I blame ricers, hondoodlers, and Fast&Furious movies for ruining the racing scene and public image of sporty vehicles in general.

Plus I was quoting the video link to actual idiots, not the OP article who were just on a group ride. Two different scenarios.

Are these not assholes that are partially to blame for police attitude?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_bFK...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Ghosty; Fri Jun 22nd, 2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Try a lawyer. Not an internet forum.

Matty, you're spot on.

half agree

its a hard call having a law back ground yes a cop could take your go pro if he feels it will or could be used as evidence to convict a crime, its called "Plain View Doctrine"

(formerly "ABATEStateCoord") THoward's Avatar

half agree

Well tried to find out if they can legally do this through State Patrol. All I have gotten is the run around. I know in a car you have absolutely no rights, they can take whatever they choose from it. I am going to assume since Colorado statute considers motorcycles a motor vehicle it would be the same. That begs the question is it considered a personal item on your person or not? If I find out something I'll post.
    Terry

here is a little trick that i use all the time. if you stop for a cop and the go pro is on the bike or helmet take your jacket off or back off before the officer contacts you and cover the go pro or put it in your bike tail or back pack at that point it is no longer plain view, and can not be taken it would take a warrant because the officer would have to "search you" to access it

ps the reason they arrested the guy is because under arrest the officer does not need a warrant to search you.
    i would say if your asked for the go pro hand it over if you know you didnt do anything wrong
    Last edited by Fumet5uNo; Fri Jun 22nd, 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumet5uNo View Post
    here is a little trick that i use all the time. if you stop for a cop and the go pro is on the bike or helmet take your jacket off or back off before the officer contacts you and cover the go pro or put it in your bike tail or back pack at that point it is no longer plain view, and can not be taken it would take a warrant because the officer would have to "search you" to access it
    +1 police officer can't move things to get a better view at it, must be in plain view.

http://www.pixiq.com/article/dallas-...aring-head-cam

I watched as Deputy Sheriff Chris Westbrook created a reason for stopping Mr. Chris Moore, created a false reason for arresting Mr. Moore, and then seized without a warrant (or valid reason) the videotape, claiming it was evidence for a crime that in fact had not occurred (stunt riding).
    So, while I'm no lawyer, it seems like police taking your GoPro or even your cell phone (as in recent demonstrations and a few fights/shootings) is a grey area, where they can claim that your GoPro has evidence of a crime on it--stunt riding, speeding, DYP, etc...

But, regardless of the technicalities, I'm sure that if you have a GP and they want to see it, then they'll find a way...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Look up "the photographers right"
    its a download pdf that you can print out and should carry with you it your filming.

Still think they would need a warrant to take an item like that. They can search you but that is for their own safety to make sure you do not have any weapons that can be used against them. Just having a recording device is not considered a weapon, unless of course you are dumb enough to swing it at them.

MRA Racer No.427

How about a camera in plain view, but actually records to a device not in plain view .....e.g recording device in trunk ????

This should be no different than if you had a standard camera laying in the seat next to you in plain sight. I have never heard of an officer confiscating such devices without a warrant.

MRA Racer No.427