Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Palisade Peach Festival August 16-19

Palisade Peach Festival August 16-19

I'm considering taking a multi-day trip to go to the peach fest. Thought I'd see if there is any interest here. I've never been, but the ride for a Palisade peach is worth it alone. Looks like it could be pretty fun.

http://www.palisadepeachfest.com/
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Re: Palisade Peach Festival August 16-19

Mmmmm peaches

Possibry
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Peach cobbler! A good reason for a multi-day ride to hit the Black Canyon, Grand Mesa and Hwy 141.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Mmmmm, those are SO good. A big truck comes to our building's parking lot once a year and everyone lines up to buy cases. The Western slope is beautiful country. The guy I bought a truck from has a vineyard there.

Palisades, it's Colorado's version of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-sfk3PGQDg
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

That is exactly how I get over Palisade peaches. There use to be a member here who's aunt had a Palisade peach farm/orchard. He'd get her to ship a truck down every year.

Lot of my coworkers freeze bags of them, works great. It's amazing how much better produce tastes when it's not factory farmed with all kinds of chemicals and shit.

'08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

When the truck comes you should pick me up a case.

Only comes here once a year and that's late August. The festival is mid-August I believe. But yes I can probably grab some extras, just remind me when the time comes around.

I swear, some of the ones people got last year were the size of grapefruits, lol!

I went 2 years ago, I believe. I'm a big Palisade Peach fan-- look forward to them every year. If you're going strictly for the peach festival, you'll be let down. The breakfast was quite good, with the peach syrup of course. Also one thing to note, the peach prices are actually elevated from what you pay down here (Denver metro).

That said, that part of the state is beautiful and its a good time if you have other stuff to do, places to go, etc. We stayed the weekend at the Double Tree in GJ...went out to dinners, played tennis, hit the pool, etc.-- and had a blast.
    _________
    09 zx6r
    Nate

Oh hell yes.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Thanks for the info tut. Looks like Saturday is the day to be there. So maybe get in Friday evening or Saturday morning, kick it for the day and then head back out Sunday morning.

right on. and i think there will be a wet mellons contest that night too ....

Anytime Jmetz. The "festival" is basically held in a park. (The town of Palisade itself is quite small and not much happening). They put up a bunch of tents with vendors trying to sell overpriced food (roasted nuts, a booze tint (iirc), etc. etc.) They do however give you one free peach upon entry, ha ha. We hung out at the festival (read: park) for an hour until getting bored. We stopped at one of the peach farm stores and paid practically double what Kings sells their Palisades for.

Sounds like a good plan. I think we did the same: Got there Friday night...went to dinner and settled in. Hit the (Lyons club) breakfast on Saturday am. Did the Peach Festival in the early morning. Lunch, then dinner again...headed home on Sunday.

Here are the two places we tried in Grand Junction:

http://kannahcreekbrewingco.com/ (was decent, would probably go back)
    http://www.rockslidebrewpub.com/ (was also decent, probably wouldn't go back though)
    _________
    09 zx6r
    Nate

Here is Jmetz trying to rub up against the 2011 Palisade Peach Queen:

I love the Palisade Peach Festival! Used to visit Grand Junction regularly 4-5X a year for five years, but I've only been once to the Festival. It's a pretty awesome Western Slope tradition. Not to mention the peaches are delicious.

To add information to the breweries that kingtut mentions,

Rockslide Brew Pub - downtown
    Blue Moon Bar & Grill - downtown; not a brewery but they've got an interesting vibe
    Kannah Creek - 1 mile north of downtown
    The Alehouse, Grand Junction - a Breckenridge Brewery, less than half a mile north of Kannah Creek

But I'm already signed up to run the Pikes Peak Ascent that weekend, so I'd only be able to go if the race is cancelled.
    Last edited by aerofaze; Thu Jun 28th, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

They have awesome cherries out there too. Different harvest time frame though.

Cherries - Sour: July 15 - 25 / Sweet: June 20-July 10

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    right on. and i think there will be a wet mellons contest that night too ....
    DUB trust me, you don't wanna see those melons, or wet tee contest.
    Last time I was at one in GJ, girl that won,admited to me she was 4 months pregnant. Peach festival is fun, but real fun is at "Distillery" or any of the bars downtown. Cactus Canyon is ok, they play hip hop over country WTF?
    Whiskey River was on "trashiest clubs" on MTV. Do I need to say more ? "Infinity" is all hip hop and place to score drugs.

Downtown is best bet ! Bar hop all night, don't have to drive and there is a few different hotels just 1000 feet radius from all the bars. Cops won't bother you if you're walking drunk, unless you talk shit or try to break something.
    Locals are very nice and no one starts shit. People that act stupid are not from GJ. I got flipped off once and it was a guy from AZ. Almost got in a fight with a guy at a fuc*** red light, turns out he was from Cali.

PS
    Drinks are half of what we pay here.

I am in !!!

Why I know all this ? Well, I lived there for a year. I miss it !!!
    2009 ZX10R Xxxx miles and counting
    2009 FZ6 10ooo miles ridden-sold

i'm in too. lets do it..
    "When it Comes to Peaches…. Georgia has NOTHING on Colorado"

I'll meet ya out there as long as Aracheon doesn't come. That guys a tool.

I think it's only 30-40 min away from me

+1 on what Samko said about the "women" up there, keep your expectations low, lol. Except for maybe a few cute outdoorsy/hippie chicks from Mesa University.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

So were you thinking of heading over Thursday, Friday or Saturday?
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

I'm pretty open. I've taken that Thursday through Tuesday off.
    So far I'm looking at leaving Friday morning and getting into Palisade Friday evening. Hitting the breakfast on Saturday morning and hang out for a bit. Go run the Grand Mesa byway at some point. Leave Sunday.

Here is the route out I have so far. Open to changes and suggestions.
    http://goo.gl/maps/51Co

I'll probably be over there about then. Maybe be on dirtbike camping though, then headed down to watch the ProCycling Challenge towards Gunnison.

Good article says that this years crop is phenomenal:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/07/1...es-early-crop/

DENVER (CBS4)- This year’s early spring means Colorado’s famous Palisade peaches are arriving on the Front Range three weeks earlier than last year and two weeks ahead of normal.
    Boxes and boxes of the peaches are already showing up in stores and farmer’s markets. And they’re not just early, they’re good.
    “They’re delicious,” said Deidra Newbrough while shopping for peaches. “They’re the best peaches I’ve had in such a long time.”

Other shoppers at the Metro Denver Farmer’s Market agreed saying they were glad to see their favorite treats for sale once again.

Peach picking on the Western Slope began in the middle of June thanks to the early spring.

“The heat, I think, really brought them out to perfection,” said another market goer. “The peaches are magnificent, we eat them every day.”
    It’s not just the peaches that are early, Olathe Sweet Corn is already for sale as are squash and beans.
    But there could be a downside to the early season.
    “It’s good and bad,” said James Dolmas with Mazzotti Farms. “Early means we have more of it now but it could be a shorter season. We don’t have a lot of water so I mean we’re going to run out water so we might not have any at the end.”
    Peach growers say we could be tasting as many as 20 varieties through early September.
    And King Soopers said it was expecting Rocky Ford cantaloupes to be in stores Friday.
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522