Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear == Speed?

Re: Gear == Speed?

I will always wear a helmet, jacket, gloves, and long pants (jeans). i know that if i get into my full race leathers i would want to push and i'm not looking to do that when riding on the street.

I love how people think that full gear is going to protect them. You really think it makes a difference when a car runs over you????

Gear helps, but don't let it fool you into thinking you are invincible!!!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I love how people think that full gear is going to protect them. You really think it makes a difference when a car runs over you????

Gear helps, but don't let it fool you into thinking you are invincible!!!
    Well, for me, the gear makes me take corners faster and that has nothing to do with thinking I'm immune to crushing blows from a cage. It's all about the reality that a lowside will not be as brutal presumably... compared to mesh or textile...
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Well, for me, the gear makes me take corners faster and that has nothing to do with thinking I'm immune to crushing blows from a cage. It's all about the reality that a lowside will not be as brutal presumably... compared to mesh or textile...
    Faster on the street is never a good thing! Faster always mean less reaction time and more room for error; yours and other drivers! Now if you are talking about the track that is a different story.

On the street, how could a lowside not be brutal? Again you could get hit by oncoming cars. I've seen many people die wearing full gear.

Faster on the street is never a good thing! Faster always mean less reaction time and more room for error; yours and other drivers! Now if you are talking about the track that is a different story.

On the street, how could a lowside not be brutal? Again you could get hit by oncoming cars. I've seen many people die wearing full gear.
    No, I'm really only talking about keeping my speed up at the limit or taking the turns like a tortuga. One is fun, the other is safer. I'm no speed demon. Just talking about the difference between 35 and 45mph I guess...
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    No, I'm really only talking about keeping my speed up at the limit or taking the turns like a tortuga. One is fun, the other is safer. I'm no speed demon. Just talking about the difference between 35 and 45mph I guess...
    Oh ok, I got you them man, Just have a few friends in past get really hurt because they took their full gear for granted. My GF's good friend just lost his leg last week from a lowside when a car ran over his leg. He was in full gear

Proper gear does make a huge difference though in a noraml crash. I've wrecked in leather and textile. Leather was great and got no road rash. Textile got road rash abd got cut up. I do have a pair of textile I still wear when really hot, but most time I wear tight leather under my jeans and just roast. Really there is nothing betetr than leather as long as it fights right.

leather as long as it fights right.
    I won't ask.. I won't ask...

Sorry to hear about your GFs friend, but that really caused a flashback that I'm sure you remember, when Duane almost lost his leg after a car ran over it and he was in full gear

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    I won't ask.. I won't ask...

Sorry to hear about your GFs friend, but that really caused a flashback that I'm sure you remember, when Duane almost lost his leg after a car ran over it and he was in full gear
    Oopps, you got me.

You know what I mean though. I see people buy leather pants that are too big for them. Leather has to be tight to work well.

Thanks. Yeah really scared me and gets me back to realizing no matter how safe we try to be things can happen

I do remember that and if I remember right the only thing that did save him from losing that leg was he did have on proper fitting leather pants; somehow kept arteries from being torn? Think I am remembering the right person. I always think of PurpleFeet who was a safe rider and always wore her gear and a cow in a road made her crash and pass away even with full gear

Even Gene Bazyl who was in full racing gear
    Last edited by bulldog; Fri Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:09 PM.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

This is actually one of the reasons i have been riding the DRZ on the street and the Ninja on the track, The DRZ doesn't get up and take off as fast, has a lower top end speed, and is easier to maneuver if i have to make a split second decision, if i have to go off road to avoid something and its not off the side of the mountain i know the bike will handle it and i wont crash, ive done it 3 times now to avoid animals and other drivers.