Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firecracker 500 !*#%!@&**

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Firecracker 500 !*#%!@&**

Yes folks, it that time of year again.
    The umpteenth "official" Firecracker 500.
    I have been doing this run for over
    100 years now so it really is not new to me.
    Drift coined this ride some years ago and it
    kinda stuck.

Here's the drift, if you get my drift.
    The route is 500 miles, completed in
    one day, during daylight, on July 4th.
    We meet somewhere and go for a ride.
    The route is a large loop basicly to the Black Canyon
    and back. If you have not been, you should, as
    it offers some of the best that Colorado has.

This ride is not for the meek, timid, unsure, or just
    plain slow. Sorry, thats the way it is. "The Pace" is used
    for the entire ride.
    You and your bike will be stressed for the entire day,
    both will need to be in top shape.

There always have been some questions about this ride.
    "The Pace" will be used. If you need to ask what that is, this is not the ride for you. If you want to know what that means, google it, or look on our front page of this site, it is there.
    There is usually sub 60hp motorbikes going on this ride, so it is not about going fast, but rather maintaining a good "pace" all day.
    If you think your possibilities are high to get a ticket, this is not the ride for you.
    Yes, people have gotten tickets on this ride, but it is the chance everyone takes if they choose to exceed the posted limit.
    This ride will not enhance your possiblity of getting one, unless you choose to.
    This ride is longer than most, so the stops will be infrequent and short.
    This is a chance to go on a ride and explore different scenery than what is offered on the Front Range.
    That is about it, so please don't PM me with stupid questions.
    If you want to go, great! You will need only a good machine and a great attitude, and a degree of common sense.

OK people, here's the meeting spot;

Jan's Restaurant

304 US Highway 24 South, Buena Vista, CO 81211 (719) 395-6940 ‎

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...41136737684357

We will meet @ 8:00 AM
    We will depart no later than 9:00 AM.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Senior Member Moderator

Re: Firecracker 500 !*#%!@&**

How long does it take to get to Buena Vista from the Springs?

I am a definite maybe for this one if I haven't traded the Greenie for a Harley by then

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    How long does it take to get to Buena Vista from the Springs?
    Congrats, you're the first!
    This definately falls into the "don't ask stupid questions" segment.
    Don't be lazy, find out for yourself how far it is, and do some math.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I am a definite maybe for this one if I haven't traded the Greenie for a Harley by then
    Or bring the Hog? Either way riding is riding.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

I did a good portion of this route two weeks ago, albeit with an overnight in Crestedbutte. Roads are in great shape!
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Or bring the Hog? Either way riding is riding.
    I will if I can be confident with it as it would be a new to me bike, but it looks to be a solid ride.

What are you riding? DucDuc?

If my butt gets sore will you rub it?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I will if I can be confident with it as it would be a new to me bike, but it looks to be a solid ride.

What are you riding? DucDuc?

Yep, the new to me Multi. My CBR is on consignment in the Springs like yours I saw.

Senior Member Moderator

Congrats, you're the first!
    This definately falls into the "don't ask stupid questions" segment.
    Don't be lazy, find out for yourself how far it is, and do some math.
    My apologies. I understand that distances and speed limits provide a general time-frame for how long it should theoretically take. I figured, since you possibly have personal experience riding the route, that there could be a time difference. Considering it's an early morning ride, I imagine traffic should be light, but this is Colorado. I could say Denver is roughly 65 miles away and the speed limit is mostly 75 MPH. That's still no guarantee that I will arrive there in less than an hour.

I suppose I could have been more specific with my original question, but it is what it is.

It's 2 hours from Springs to Buena Vista (100 miles).

That is assuming Highway 24 is open by then. If it's not then the route is 115 to Highway 50 and highway 50 to 9, then back on to 24. That route adds 70 or so more miles.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Senior Member Moderator

Thanks, Justin.

Ask Justin how long it takes if you are going 110 mph.
    One could deduce @ 100 miles it should take just under one hour @ that speed, but you would be wrong.
    It takes much longer due to the dilegent efforts of the Park County Sheriff's dept when they bust you speeding.

The reason we are meeting in Buena Vista is for our northern sportbike friends who might want to participate. It will take approx 2 hours either way from Denver or C. Springs to get there.

Senior Member Moderator

Much appreciated, Mike.

It's going to be a great opportunity to meet and ride with people. I want to make sure I don't miss it.
    Last edited by Drano; Fri Jun 29th, 2012 at 08:38 PM.

Hmmmmmm.......now that the hill climb has been postponed I find myself with a lot of free time next week!
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Back to BV by daylight? What's the ETC for this one? Trying to figure out if I can fit this in with going to see things explode that night, in the 3 or 4 places that will actually still do it.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

"Command F" shows no signed of "pace" anywhere on the front page. I've yet to go on any csc rides and honestly I've heard some negative comments about them. I have no problem givin er the business if that's what the group is doing, but at the same time I have no problem going on a fun cruise. I just want to know if this ride will be full of a bunch of asshats doing stupid stunts that are only out to get themselves and others hurt.

My question stands: Is this ride for me or not?
    03 cbr600rr

Quote Originally Posted by HiImBrian View Post
    "Command F" shows no signed of "pace" anywhere on the front page. I've yet to go on any csc rides and honestly I've heard some negative comments about them. I have no problem givin er the business if that's what the group is doing, but at the same time I have no problem going on a fun cruise. I just want to know if this ride will be full of a bunch of asshats doing stupid stunts that are only out to get themselves and others hurt.

03 cbr600rr
    Google "The Pace" and look for reference to Nick Ienatsch
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

It's actually "Learn to Ride" -> "The Pace" :
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/ThePace.html
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Ahh I feel much better. "The Pace" sounds a little like "keep up or shut up" to me haha. Good to know that's not the real meaning

edit: Well technically it is...but in a safe way lol

Quote Originally Posted by HiImBrian View Post

03 cbr600rr
    The ride will have asshats for sure, one being the organizer the other will be me if I do infact make it. The length of the ride usually weeds out the retards. I would re read bash's original post it sums stuff up pretty well.
    Your bike doesn't make a difference as there have been dualsports, ninja 250's and CBR1000's on the ride. Only you can decide if the ride is for you. And there is always the option of turning around and going home.

Thanks Bueller for the clarifications.
    Ralph, the Denver folks usually peel off @ Twin Lakes, cruise through Leadville, and do I70 or some other route. We will be coming over Independance Pass around 2-3 PM.
    Everybody as Bueller mentioned, you can go thier own way at any time, just let the group know so we arn't looking for you.
    Should be a great ride!

I definitely would like to do this this year. Gonna have to leave pretty damn early but should be fun!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

The route is a large loop basicly to the Black Canyon
    and back. If you have not been, you should, as
    it offers some of the best that Colorado has.
    I'll echo this sentiment. I did this ride solo last year:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=40823

and it was awesome, a great tour of what this state has to offer riders. If you haven't been out there, you should go.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson