Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling a gun in CO

Re: Selling a gun in CO

If I know person I sell dem gun. If I dont know person I make bill o sale.

Not rocket science
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Anyone I Sell a gun to does a Bill of Sale, any gun I buy from someone I do One as well.. Bill of Sale Protects EVERYONE in the transaction.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    The reason I mentioned a licensed dealer in the first place, was because I thought it was required to be done through an FFL when you buy online through a facilitator like GunsAmerica or similar outlets? Dunno how that works with CraigsList, etc.
    Buying online requires shipping it usually, at that point it's FFL territory though I don't know the specific law wording on it. Private sales within the state require nothing.

Not usually, but sorry, in this case, yes I'd like it to be a little more organized than a free-for-all. I don't think any random person should have the right to sell a firearm to just ANY other random unknown (rare but possible psycho/felon) person at will. Just my opinion. This isn't the Little House on the Prairie era. I don't believe in adding new laws, just enforcing the existing ones and keeping guns out of the hands of known criminals. Unfortunately the douchers have to mess it up for regular hunters, collectors, sportsman, etc. I'm sure most people will disagree, but so be it.

Btw, I'm an NRA member, and not anti-gun rights.
    So you're going to do a background check, CBI check, etc on a private buyer you sell a weapon to? We already have a law that prevents you from selling it if you have reason to believe they are unfit to own the gun, how far you take it is up to you. Registering your weapon isn't going to do shit, and if they want to buy it and not get tracked then they will just fail to register it themselves. Unless you are proposing that all private sales now require an ATF background check as well, which would be adding a new law.

Gun registration by governments has historically ended with governments rounding up the guns "for the peoples' own good". I am legal to own anything I want; what I own is not anyone's fucking business, nor is what I buy/sell or who I sell it to as long as I'm not selling it to someone I know to be legally prohibited from such activity. That's the law, and it exists specifically to keep guns out of criminals as far as a layperson can. It's not a free for all, but it is freedom. Important distinction between the two.

And yes - BoS definitely. Though ATF BG check data is not supposed to be retained, we all know the government doesn't destroy data and that stuff is a treasure trove. If I sell a gun to anyone outside of my family, paperwork is involved. Some sellers/buyers are turned off by this step feeling it infringes on their freedoms, but I doubt private sellers are going to turn that stuff over to the cops unless they have a reason to (like cops are knocking asking about a weapon they own being used in a crime), so it's just verification between private parties at that point.
    Last edited by rforsythe; Thu Jul 5th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    We already have a law that prevents you from selling it if you have reason to believe they are unfit to own the gun, how far you take it is up to you.

...nor is what I buy/sell or who I sell it to as long as I'm not selling it to someone I know to be legally prohibited from such activity. That's the law, and it exists specifically to keep guns out of criminals as far as a layperson can.
    Thanks, good info. Like I mentioned, I didn't know how strict (or free-for-all) the current laws are on this matter of private-party sales, when exactly FFL is required, etc.

But I AM glad I said something, because this brings up a lot of good info for the OP to consider, especially on such a sensitive and complex subject, that varies by state.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Thu Jul 5th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Are Colorado citizens required to register their firearms? NO. In fact, state law prohibits firearms registration by local or state government (the federal Brady Act is another matter, though that's not "claimed" to be registration).

http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/
    Correct, "registration" is not required, but your link (the same one I posted) clearly states that the Brady Act "is another matter". And since the Brady Act ties a gun owner's name and address to its serial number (when purchased through an FFL), you're going to be the first person called when your resold Glock 20 is found at a crime scene.

So IF you are the original buyer, and you made the purchase at a licensed firearms dealer, your name IS ON FILE with government. You can call it "registration," or "popcorn" for all I care - the fact remains your information resides with the feds, and is tied to your guns' serial numbers.

Splitting hairs over how you define "registration" doesn't really help the OP in this case.

Thanks, good info. Like I mentioned, I didn't know how strict (or free-for-all) the current laws are on this matter of private-party sales, when exactly FFL is required, etc.
    It all varies by state too, so check your local ordinances.

CO is nicely "open" and more-or-less on the side of the gun owners, states like NY, NJ and CA are a nightmare...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

An FFL transfer is required when SHIPPING a firearm. Furthermore, the weapon can be shipped from the sender through normal shipping means, however it must be shipped TO an FFL. An FFL on both ends is not required by the ATF.

But I AM glad I said something, because this brings up a lot of good info for the OP to consider, especially on such a sensitive and complex subject, that varies by state.
    Agreed, it's a commonly misunderstood topic, and one with strong feelings all around.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I bet a lot of people dont know that in Colorado felons can own guns to protect their home. It is the stupidest law ever but its their.

Would anyone that knows the specifics of this law care to share the details? In other words, are they allowed to have multiple guns, can they take them in their car, are they allowed to shoot them at range (or at all).... I am super curious as to the specifics.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

non violent "felons" shouldn't be prevented from owning firearms. Felon doesn't always mean rapist and murderer.

I've purchased used firearms in the past and called LEO to have the SN verified that it wasn't reported stolen.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I'm not going to copy/paste all this crap, but here is the Federal ATF gun law document. Look at page 9, (d) for the part about prohibited ownership by criminals:
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf

And from RMGO's site:
    Persons convicted of a state offense may contact the office of the attorney general in the state where their conviction occurred, or the state’s Department of Justice, for information concerning restoration alternatives that may be available. (For example, the state may have a procedure for a gubernatorial pardon, a set-aside or expunction of the conviction, or a restoration of firearm rights.)

Persons convicted of a federal offense may elect to apply for a presidential pardon.

than sincere ignorance

I see nothing wrong with a BOS, like it was said it protects everyone. I mean you would never sell/buy a motorcycle without one, so what's the big deal? Dude has a beef, then you say "fine take a walk". It's not like you are doing anything with that paper, it's just held onto should a cop show to YOUR door asking questions. *shrug*

If I sell anything over a certain dollar amount I'm doing a BOS. Mainly to state AS-IS and no returns.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    non violent "felons" shouldn't be prevented from owning firearms. Felon doesn't always mean rapist and murderer.
    I'm not even going that far to be honest. A good friend of mine has a violent felony on his record. Attempted murder. Backstory: was friends with a guy. Guy starts to become a bit crazy. Guy threatens his family's lives. Friend loads guy's own gun and threatens him, then leaves. Guy calls cops on friend, then lies about everything that went on. Friend has violent felony on record.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S