Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DUI Checkpoints - Aurora

DUI Checkpoints - Aurora

I don't condone drinking and driving/riding, but can't say they didn't notify Aurora residents in the local:

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/news/d...oint-saturday/

Aurora police have a DUI checkpoint planned for Saturday night on Peoria Street.
    The checkpoint is scheduled to start at 9 p.m. Saturday and end around 3 a.m. Sunday.
    Police said the checkpoint will be on Peoria Street, somewhere north of East Exposition Avenue.
    During the checkpoint, drivers will be stopped briefly and asked a few questions as officers try to determine if they have been drinking alcohol.
    The checkpoint is paid for with a federal grant.
    Last edited by sprtbkbabe; Thu Aug 16th, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Re: DUI Checkpoint 07/07/12 - Aurora

I am going through it repeatedly to waist some tax payer $

im gonna put a keg in my car and drive through 5 or 10 times sober
    see what they say
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

thanks for the info. fortunately enuff i'm not around that part of colorado....

Let's go get shit faced and ride wheelies!

Is there an officer, problem?

I managed to get through just fine. Even driving a truck with empty modelo cans in the back and seaching for another CSCers fence to drive through

<Hi Salsa & Townie!!!>

And just for Frank, they let me go when I spoke only Spanish!
    Last edited by sprtbkbabe; Sun Jul 8th, 2012 at 01:21 PM.

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    blah blah blah...
    <Hi Salsa & Townie!!!>

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

The last time i went through a checkpoint on the bike the line of cars mostly kept moving at a walking pace so 90% of the time I was able to work the clutch and keep both feet on the pegs. It took a few minutes to get to the front and when I got there the officer just waved me through. I guess I had already shown I wasn't drunk

i went through a check point second day after i got the bike right when they said i could go through i stalled haha

it was only 9pm they had just started the cop laughed
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

I think check points like that are bull$hitt! It's government harrasment. Drinking and driving is idiotic but EVERY citizen (and illegals) shouldn't have to submit to a government sponsored inspection. What's next, check points throughout the country and at every city border??? Remind you of another government from the 40's??? Now if they were inspecting citizenship and deporting all the illegals at the same time,,, then I might go for it.

This is the same as those stinking commercials basically threatening us citizens not to drink and drive or the government will throw you in jail. Duh! Everybody know that already so what gives the gov. the right to threaten it's citizens?

Maybe us citizens should start threatening our government to make better choices with our tax money and our injust systems. As soon as a government feels they can do whatever they want to the people, it's ALL DOWN HILL.

I write to my representatives at least once a month. HOW ABOUT YOU???
    I may not go down in history, but I might go down on your sister!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzardman36 View Post
    I think check points like that are bull$hitt! It's government harrasment. Drinking and driving is idiotic but EVERY citizen (and illegals) shouldn't have to submit to a government sponsored inspection. What's next, check points throughout the country and at every city border??? Remind you of another government from the 40's??? Now if they were inspecting citizenship and deporting all the illegals at the same time,,, then I might go for it.

This is the same as those stinking commercials basically threatening us citizens not to drink and drive or the government will throw you in jail. Duh! Everybody know that already so what gives the gov. the right to threaten it's citizens?

Maybe us citizens should start threatening our government to make better choices with our tax money and our injust systems. As soon as a government feels they can do whatever they want to the people, it's ALL DOWN HILL.

Sorry, a couple days have gone by and I read my post and realize I need a very tall extension ladder to climb down from my soapbox....
    Last edited by buzzardman36; Tue Jul 10th, 2012 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I am going through it repeatedly to waist some tax payer $
    Won't waste any money at all, will just be wasting your time and proving to everyone that you really, really need a life!

Quote Originally Posted by AOK303 View Post
    im gonna put a keg in my car and drive through 5 or 10 times sober
    see what they say
    I'd laugh and say have a good night personally. Or tell you that this just became a toll rode.

I was waiting for a reply like this.

DUI isn't just idiot, it's also extremely dangerous. We're not checking for Jews or for illegal Canadians or for illegal exhaust systems, we're checking for DUI drivers. You know, the ones that kill over 10,000 people every year. The ones responsible for millions of crashes every year. Ask the mothers of the 3 teenage girls driving home from church, in their new car, with seat belts, that were murdered by one drunk driver recently. I'd be glad to sit though a checkpoint a day if it meant saving their lives.

That's the problem with DUI enforcement, you can't put a numeric value on the lives saved, and thus the ignorant ones believe it's all a waste and an infringement on people's rights. I ran a DUI the other night. Did I save a life? I doubt it. But if one out of every 1,000 DUI arrests saves a life, to me that's worth it. You probably don't think so. I bet you will when it's one of your friends or family members that I'm covering with a blanket.

The next problem with DUI's to me, is that they kill true innocent victims. DUI drivers kill grandma-good-cookies, they kill firefighters, they kill US Marines, church pastors, bus drivers, and the courtesy clerk at your supermarket. In my 3.5 years as a LEO, I haven't been involved in a single homicide that was not gang or drug related. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen it. I can't count on two hands the accidents I've been involved in a where a true victim was killed by a drunk driver.

A commercial advising you of the potential repercussions of your illegal actions is not a threat. A threat is me saying I'll kill you. A threat is not me saying I'll kill you if you try and kill me. That's a potential repercussion. It's like when I advise people of Express Consent, which says the penalties are stiffer if you refuse to take a test. It's not a threat, it's an advisement given for your benefit. Take it or leave it.

And I did read your last post. This is a touchy subject for me because I am personally very passionate about DUI enforcement. It's something we do that costs the state millions of dollars a year, just to save some lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Won't waste any money at all, will just be wasting your time and proving to everyone that you really, really need a life!

Seems you need to figure out a joke when you read one. I know you think you have it all figured out, but you have proven to everyone that you aren't really all that and a bag a doughnuts.

I'd laugh and say have a good night personally. Or tell you that this just became a toll rode.

I was waiting for a reply like this.

DUI isn't just idiot, it's also extremely dangerous. We're not checking for Jews or for illegal Canadians or for illegal exhaust systems, we're checking for DUI drivers. You know, the ones that kill over 10,000 people every year. The ones responsible for millions of crashes every year. Ask the mothers of the 3 teenage girls driving home from church, in their new car, with seat belts, that were murdered by one drunk driver recently. I'd be glad to sit though a checkpoint a day if it meant saving their lives.

That's the problem with DUI enforcement, you can't put a numeric value on the lives saved, and thus the ignorant ones believe it's all a waste and an infringement on people's rights. I ran a DUI the other night. Did I save a life? I doubt it. But if one out of every 1,000 DUI arrests saves a life, to me that's worth it. You probably don't think so. I bet you will when it's one of your friends or family members that I'm covering with a blanket.

The next problem with DUI's to me, is that they kill true innocent victims. DUI drivers kill grandma-good-cookies, they kill firefighters, they kill US Marines, church pastors, bus drivers, and the courtesy clerk at your supermarket. In my 3.5 years as a LEO, I haven't been involved in a single homicide that was not gang or drug related. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen it. I can't count on two hands the accidents I've been involved in a where a true victim was killed by a drunk driver.

A commercial advising you of the potential repercussions of your illegal actions is not a threat. A threat is me saying I'll kill you. A threat is not me saying I'll kill you if you try and kill me. That's a potential repercussion. It's like when I advise people of Express Consent, which says the penalties are stiffer if you refuse to take a test. It's not a threat, it's an advisement given for your benefit. Take it or leave it.

And I did read your last post. This is a touchy subject for me because I am personally very passionate about DUI enforcement. It's something we do that costs the state millions of dollars a year, just to save some lives.

Spoken like a true government agent. So busy "protecting" everyone that you have no problem stepping on peoples freedoms to do so.
    You know thousands of people every year commite suicide and also abuse children and also beat their spouses. Your mentality is that further down the road perhaps there will be a government agent at the opening of every subdivision that stops every citizen and interogates them about where they were and what they plan on doing when they get home. Maybe pat each one down and check them for weapons and then if they seem suspicious in your eye, follow them into their home and maybe do a search. After all,,,, it's totally worth it for the government to infringe on every citizen in hopes to prevent one these terrible crimes.

People are going to find a way to do what they do and maybe the government should spend less money HARASSING every citizen and more money on stiffer penalties for the people who are actually breaking the law and get caught.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

and more money on stiffer penalties for the people who are actually breaking the law and get caught.
    You really think that harsher punishments will change the people that have drinking problems, cleptomaniancs, serial killers, and sex offenders?

First time DUI offenders should get 30 days minimum, in jail. Repeat offenders need to get 1-5 years.

Why ? Because most people don't learn anything from $1500 in fines and 1 night in jail.

My father and 2 of my cousins were killed by a drunk driver. They were fighting the enemy on front lines, while this asshole was sitting at home drinking. My cousins were injured by a mortar round, my father was ordered to drive them to a hospital just 7 miles away. They made it half way there.

One of my friends in Phoenix killed inoccent driver, because he was driving drunk. He died too, because he did not wear seat belt. Didn't really feel sorry for him. But there is more to this story. He was pulled over just couple of nights before this and cops let him go ! I watched the whole thing happen. He was not even able to stand, but they let him go. WTF?

I called cops on people drinking and driving (literally drinking beer and driving, well driving in two lanes at the same time), but cops never show up. WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THIS !!!!!!????????

Once I called cops on some stupid bitch that was literally driving from curb to curb. I followed her for 20 min. Cops never showed up. She then rear ended some old guy at a stop light @ 45mph. After I told this to dispatcher, they showed up in 3 min. WTF?

I WILL CALL COPS WHENEVER I SEE PEOPLE DRINKING AND DRIVING, OR DRIVING AS IF THEY'RE DRUNK OR IMPAIRED IN SOME WAY !!!

I liked DUI check points in Grand Junction. You're just driving down the road, cop flashes flashlight at you to pull over and you get checked out. You never know its there.

And here is one big FU** U to everyone who is going to hate me for this.
    2009 ZX10R Xxxx miles and counting
    2009 FZ6 10ooo miles ridden-sold

People are going to find a way to do what they do and maybe the government should spend less money HARASSING every citizen and more money on stiffer penalties for the people who are actually breaking the law and get caught.
    There was a study done in California not too long ago, looking at just this. They found (Not surprisingly), that the certainty of apprehension was a greater deterrent than the severity of punishment.

I don't care if every one of my DUI cases gets tossed right out of court, because DUI prosecution is an extremely ineffective way of preventing DUI's. DUI enforcement does everything. I'm not here to stop you from drinking and driving tomorrow, I'm here to stop you from killing someone tonight. So I get you in jail as quickly as I can, and I tow your car. If you get caught driving while your license is revoked for a DUI, I take you to jail and tow your car...Again.

Samko, I truly appreciate your stance on the subject, and your dedication to doing what you can to stop the problem. I'd like to apologize in advance for Law Enforcement's failures. Unfortunately, every year we have to do more with less. Every tool we use gets more expensive every year, and every year we have to use more tools (Which costs money). The video cameras, laptops, cars, gas, uniforms, everything. So to keep budget in check they hire less cops, and we get backlogged.

buzzardman, I was trying to think about what you expected out of a Police Officer. The problem was, I didn't think that you flat out don't want cops period. So why don't you move? If we are such an inconvenience to your life, and we do absolutely nothing for you, then go live somewhere that doesn't have cops, law, or a Government at all. It's not like we're stopping you.

Effective DUI enforcement might have prevented this tragedy from happening...

You were old, but you lived a good life... Poor fence.

RIP - fence - 07/04/12

Via Con Dios
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Poor fence

Are you replacing it with concrete barriers now?

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

I don't think Aurora would approve of my "final solution"

Had a family Member killed by a drunk driver... I'm 100% ok with sobriety checks!
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post

I don't think Aurora would approve of my "final solution"
    You can do what our neighbors did after he had his fence destroyed 3 times in a year (lived on a corner of a road). He put 2-4 ton boulders behind his fence.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Senior Member Moderator

There was a study done in California not too long ago, looking at just this. They found (Not surprisingly), that the certainty of apprehension was a greater deterrent than the severity of punishment.
    +1

This method is used every day on military installations. The vehicle inspections themselves are not done because they expect to find a bomb, weapons, or a bunch of terrorists hiding in a trunk, but rather because it serves to deter anybody that may be thinking about trying to do so.

Of course, I think my favorite DUI prevention method was used when I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath. If a member of a squadron got busted with a DUI, the entire squadron was punished. Every weekend for a month, after normal work hours, that squadron had to stand at the base exits, stop every car leaving the base, and tell them not to drink and drive. Pretty silly, but imagine being the guy that got busted. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes for the rest of his assignment.