Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DUI Checkpoints - Aurora

Re: DUI Checkpoint 07/07/12 - Aurora

buzzardman, I was trying to think about what you expected out of a Police Officer. The problem was, I didn't think that you flat out don't want cops period. So why don't you move? If we are such an inconvenience to your life, and we do absolutely nothing for you, then go live somewhere that doesn't have cops, law, or a Government at all. It's not like we're stopping you.[/QUOTE]

You're speaking to a former chief of police. You also don't get that I'm not heartless to anyone who has suffered from a DUI drivers offenses. I'm Also not saying there shouldn't be LEO's and it should be total anarchy. I'm saying that most every other criminal offense, a LEO has to have reasonable suspicion that a crime has been, is being, or will be commited by that individual (sound familiar). So I do not think law enforcement should have the right to stop every single vehicle and impeed their freedoms to move about the country legally, just to check for DUI's. I'm stating that the gov. should not have the right to treat every citizen as if they are a criminal, until they are proven innocent which is exactly what DUI check points do. Our justice system is actually the exact opposite in which you are (should be) treated innocent until proven guilty(seems you probably don't agree with that).
    I also believe that DuI drivers and Drug influenced drivers should get thier car crushed at a scrap yard, minimum one year mandatory jail term, 15 thousand dollar fine and 5 yrs driving suspension for the first offense. You make the laws stiffer and people will still break them, but a lot less people will be willing to chance it. Also, the gov. wouldn't have to threaten it's citizens with this punishment,,,trust me, the knowlege would be well known throughout the land.
    As far as telling me to move if I don't like your entry level cop mentality and perspective. Your still spoken like a true gov. agent that thinks you should be able to bully anyone who disagrees with you. I had officers that worked for me in my dept. that felt that way too. They also failed to realize they (you) work for and with us citizens, not above us. They didn't last long. The goal should be community policing, not marshal law across the land.
    We can argue this all day long the only difference is that I have no problem disagreeing with you and still not suggesting you move or any other such idiotic nonsense!
    I may not go down in history, but I might go down on your sister!

I think red traffic lights are an infringement of my rights. They detain me with no reasonable suspicion. What's your stance on these? Is the benefit to public safety worth the momentary detention of drivers when the light turns red? Sure you don't have to stop, but in reality you don't have to stop for a DUI checkpoint either.

Whatever your opinion on DUI checkpoints are, the Supreme Court has found them to be legal, and they are the ones that ultimately dictate my actions. I try not to voice my opinion much here, but I support DUI checkpoints. Sorry the Supreme Court and I disagree with you. I understand your logic and reasoning, I truly do, and it makes sense. But the Supreme Court has said they are legal when applied according to some guidelines.

Yes, I am young. But so far I'm lasting just fine. I got 2 letters of reprimand in 3 and a half years (A fairly low level of "corrective action" at my work, and the lowest level of "Disciplinary Action"). One for stopping a DUI driver while I was transporting a different party to jail, and the other for knowingly missing a court appearance because I went to France instead. Neither one rises to me "Not lasting long" or shows an entry-level cop mentality as you put it. I'd be glad to explain each of these incidents in further detail if you wish. In this same 3 1/2 year term I have not been sued, had no sustained complaints, have not wrecked a car, have not lost a case in a Motions Hearing, had only justified "Subject Managements," and I regularly lead my crew in stats. Not saying I'm perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I work hard within the law, make mostly good decisions, and try to stay off the radar. I call my Sergeant a lot for advice, and disagree with him most of the time, but he's got the stripes so when it comes to applying the decision I tuck my tail and say "Yessir." My biggest setback is my eagerness (Like most young Officers) and my mouth, but they haven't gotten me into much trouble and I am getting better at controlling both.

Community Policing is fantastic and solves everything, but it can't even be applied where I work, we don't have the resources required.
    Last edited by Aaron; Tue Jul 24th, 2012 at 02:14 AM.

Yes, I am young. But so far I'm lasting just fine. I got 2 letters of reprimand in 3 and a half years (A fairly low level of "corrective action" at my work, and the lowest level of "Disciplinary Action"). One for stopping a DUI driver while I was transporting a different party to jail, and the other for knowingly missing a court appearance because I went to France instead. Neither one rises to me "Not lasting long" or shows an entry-level cop mentality as you put it. I'd be glad to explain each of these incidents in further detail if you wish. In this same 3 1/2 year term I have not been sued, had no sustained complaints, have not wrecked a car, have not lost a case in a Motions Hearing, had only justified "Subject Managements," and I regularly lead my crew in stats. Not saying I'm perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I work hard within the law, make mostly good decisions, and try to stay off the radar. I call my Sergeant a lot for advice, and disagree with him most of the time, but he's got the stripes so when it comes to applying the decision I tuck my tail and say "Yessir." My biggest setback is my eagerness (Like most young Officers) and my mouth, but they haven't gotten me into much trouble and I am getting better at controlling both.

Community Policing is fantastic and solves everything, but it can't even be applied where I work, we don't have the resources required.[/QUOTE]

It's great that you're very much aware of your positives and negatives toward your career. You're right that most often than not you will disagree with a superior but stick with it and someday you'll have underlings not agreeing with you. LOL Good luck with the job, it's a tough one. Be safe!

Yep, I'm aware the DUI checks are legal and you have a job to do. But I disagree. The traffic light example wasn't very similar. A similar example is back 15 yrs ago before debit pay at the pump, you used to be able to pump your gas then go in and pay. Then they changed it to pre pay because of the ppl running without paying. Just like the DUI checks, I understand what the reasoning is behind it, but basically the gas stations changed their policies which more or less accused everyone of being non-trustworthy. I had a hard time adjusting to that one. Thankfully it wasn't too long and pay at the pump arrived.
    Anyway, I'm sure you're a stand up dude. I'm curious as to how many traffic laws you break while on two wheels. LOL
    I may not go down in history, but I might go down on your sister!

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by buzzardman36 View Post
    Anyway, I'm sure you're a stand up dude. I'm curious as to how many traffic laws you break while on two wheels. LOL

I know of a few.

According to the state patrol I broke speed limits on Hwy 24

Beyond speed limits on occasion, I actually ride well within the law. But as it is for all of us, speeding is my downfall. So quick to let happen, so fun to do, I'm guilty :-/

Lost a friend this past Saturday night to a dumb fucken drunk driver. I can honestly say I have no problem calling in the plates the next time i see some douche swerving all over the road. Now a 5 year old girl has to live without a mother who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sad.

RIP Sigorney.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Sorry to hear about your friend Matty, R.I.P

Re: DUI Checkpoints - Aurora

PER CDOT: Drunk driving kills enough people in Colorado each year to fill one jumbo jet. The national DUI crackdown starts Friday, 08/17 and continues through Labor Day.

Watch out fer them boozers when you're on bikes or caging it, mmm-kay?
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Yep, almost got killed by one last night... not very fun. Keep your senses open and going out there.

Sorry to hear that Matt. Where was the incident? Did they catch the drunk driver?
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.