Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil oil oil

Oil oil oil

I know its been covered all over the interwebs and I have done a ton of research. Have always struggled finding the right oil for everything that I have owned, pretty anal about oil as it is whats lubricating the bike. I don't want anything insanely expensive but I would love to hear what you guys have to say. Here is the situation: Bought the bike ('05 F4i), its due for an oil change. Went ahead and got a Honda OEM filters, as I will always go OEM for filters, have done it since my first WRX to the Evo now, and will continue to. Here is the question, the last owner put Mobil 1 15W-50 in the bike and it still currently has that in it. I want to know if I should continue to use the Mobil 15-50 or if I can swtich. I would like to run Honda oil in it but I have been told sooo many different things about switching back from Synthetic to Dino in many different situations and from many different shops. If Honda oil is not the best for the bik what should I run? I am a fan of Amsoil, I like Honda oil as it is was originally was in the bike, but I am in a pickle and can't choose to I'm reaching out for some advice. What oil should I put in it? She's due for a change now or within the week. Let me know, and thanks in advance!

Tyler

Re: Oil oil oil

switching between Synthetic and Semi Synthetic is ok, but from synthetic back down to regular is not ok. Also the different weights being mixed together is alright as well. I run Bel Ray but that's just me. Hope this helps
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Helps a lot, just wasn't sure if I could go back and forth from the full synthetic or not, so I will stick with Semi or Fully Synthetic. Oils not a huge deal but I am looking at getting Honda oil as I have been told to go with OEM oil and filter, they sell both Semi and Full Synthetic, what do you think? Also, is Mobil 15w-50 good oil? Should I just use that or should I run Honda oil?

Kawasakirob, how do you like the BelRay? Looks like a great price for the oil.
    Last edited by tstevens; Mon Jul 9th, 2012 at 11:56 PM.

In Theory it is all good oil. Kind of like modern 1000cc bikes. They are all pretty damn good. It would not be an issue if you went to the Honda Oil. With brands, each person has a favorite brand, kind of like a favorite kind of bike you know what I mean?

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

If you feel better with the Honda Oil, go for it.. They are both good oils

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Totally understand, works for me. Just like the HUGE debate with oil on anything. Glad I was able to get some great info from you as well regarding the fully syn and the blend being ok to switch. Currently looking at Motul vs Amsoil vs Honda, will decide here in the next few fays. Any opinions on these oils via experience?

Motul 5100 Sythetic Blend - 10w-40
    Amsoil 10w-40 Motorcycle Oil
    Honda HP4 Synthetic Blend - 10w-40

Going with 10w-40 per Honda reccommended, would be up to hear opinions on other weights as I run far from the recommended weight in the evo. Let me know! Thank you for your help to far kawasakirob!

I have tried Motul but honestly am unable to give feedback on it. Some other people on here might though

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Have run Motul in my Duc, and it works fine. So too the 15w50 sold by Fay Myers. Only thing about the stuff at Fay's, is that it is expensive, AND says "Fuchs" on it... which seems somehow appropriate.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Dave-

Why you gotta ruin all the fun like that?

Tyler -

On the subject of switching back to dino from synthetic Rob and I disagree. You can switch back and forth without trouble.

On the subject of semi-synthetic oil - Don't waste your money. There is no performance advantage to the semi-synthetic product as it is simply dino oil and synthetic oil blended in the same bottle. You get none of the benefits of the full synthetic oil and none of the cost savings of the dino oil.

I also disagree with Rob on the subject of mixing weights of oil. I would generally avoid mixing brands and weights of oil in my oil change. If you're going to run XYZ brand 10W40 then run that, don't mix it with some other brand or some other weight. (In a pinch it will work - but it's not a good standard solution). One of the reasons I say this is that the additive packages in the different oils aren't always compatible.

All of the oils you list above would be fine choices for your CBR F4. If you are comfortable with one of them, go for it. I'm not a fan of the blended oils and would either select a standard or a synthetic oil, but you aren't going to do any harm by using a blend.

The real key to the longevity of your motorcycle is solid, routine maintenance. Take good care of it and it will take good care of you.

Best of luck and happy oil changing

s

Since you [the OP] seem to have a hard time making a decision on such a minor issue, let me make it for you. [You asked, right?]
    1. You will always use a synthetic oil - never dino oil or a blend.
    2. You will use Amsoil.
    3. You will use an OEM filter.
    End of discussion.

Last edited by Zviffer; Tue Jul 10th, 2012 at 08:24 AM.
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

I tend to use peanut for hot frying, canola for sauteing, and a nice extra virgin olive for anything uncooked. Really, it is only the olive that retains flavor (as the heat from cooking tends to neutralize the flavonoids) so that is the only one that I don't go for just the cheapest store brand. You have to be careful with the peanut because some people are allergic to it.

Wait, what?
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    I tend to use peanut for hot frying, canola for sauteing, and a nice extra virgin olive for anything uncooked. Really, it is only the olive that retains flavor (as the heat from cooking tends to neutralize the flavonoids) so that is the only one that I don't go for just the cheapest store brand. You have to be careful with the peanut because some people are allergic to it.

Wait, what?
    I still have Hawk parts for you...someday we should figure out how you can take possession.

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post

s
    Wow, I'm surprised that it took Rybo almost 8.5 hours to respond. I thought he had a notification system set up to email, call, fax and text when ever there was an oil debate on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by tstevens View Post
    Here is the question, the last owner put Mobil 1 15W-50 in the bike and it still currently has that in it. I want to know if I should continue to use the Mobil 15-50 or if I can swtich.
    I went through the same issue and found out that Mobile automotive oil has changed their formula recently and put in things that are not good for the bike. Here is my thread http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=45015

Ended up going with this and like it:
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zviffer View Post
    Since you [the OP] seem to have a hard time making a decision on such a minor issue, let me make it for you. [You asked, right?]
    1. You will always use a synthetic oil - never dino oil or a blend.
    2. You will use Amsoil.
    3. You will use an OEM filter.
    End of discussion.

Done deal haha, figured I would be staying with Synthetic. Amsoil and Motul are my choice. ^Best decision maker I've met in a while hahaha. Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Tyler -

On the subject of switching back to dino from synthetic Rob and I disagree. You can switch back and forth without trouble.

On the subject of semi-synthetic oil - Don't waste your money. There is no performance advantage to the semi-synthetic product as it is simply dino oil and synthetic oil blended in the same bottle. You get none of the benefits of the full synthetic oil and none of the cost savings of the dino oil.

I also disagree with Rob on the subject of mixing weights of oil. I would generally avoid mixing brands and weights of oil in my oil change. If you're going to run XYZ brand 10W40 then run that, don't mix it with some other brand or some other weight. (In a pinch it will work - but it's not a good standard solution). One of the reasons I say this is that the additive packages in the different oils aren't always compatible.

All of the oils you list above would be fine choices for your CBR F4. If you are comfortable with one of them, go for it. I'm not a fan of the blended oils and would either select a standard or a synthetic oil, but you aren't going to do any harm by using a blend.

The real key to the longevity of your motorcycle is solid, routine maintenance. Take good care of it and it will take good care of you.

s
    Awesome amount of info, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! Super helpful, and I will post up later once I get the oil and let you guys know what that Mobil 15-50 looks like coming out of the bike. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by tstevens View Post
    Done deal haha, figured I would be staying with Synthetic. Amsoil and Motul are my choice. ^Best decision maker I've met in a while hahaha. Thanks man.

Awesome amount of info, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! Super helpful, and I will post up later once I get the oil and let you guys know what that Mobil 15-50 looks like coming out of the bike. Haha
    So which oil you choose then? Like I said I went through this and only seems if your bike has been using Mobile 1 for years to just change to the Mobile 1 motorcycle formula. It's not that expensive and can be found at most auto stores (got mine from Oreiley's)

^I'll stop by there this afternoon. I have always liked Motul and Amsoil but I will also check on that as well.

I personally only use horse semen as engine and transmission lubricant.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Interesting. 15-50 is typically run in twins and is way heavy for your bike.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    That's what I thought as well. That's why I'm staying away from it and going back to the recommended oil. 15w-50 is a heavy oil

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Does it make a difference that it was auto oil? Dana (Devaclis) used this in my 600RR for over 15K miles and did fine with it. I only changed because now they put those additives in it that are not good for motorcycles. Many old schoolers had used that "red cap" Mobile 1 for years...

I can't say. I ran the auto in the Duc, but only felt comfortable doing so because it was a dry clutch. On the viffer I'm back to Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

If you are going to use automotive, use rotella t.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd