Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DirecTV to Drop 26 Viacom Channels at Midnight on Tuesday, July 10

DirecTV to Drop 26 Viacom Channels at Midnight on Tuesday, July 10

http://blog.viacom.com/2012/07/direc...esday-july-10/

DirecTV to drop 26 Viacom channels – Spot #2 from Viacom on Vimeo.
    Viacom’s distribution agreement with DirecTV is set to expire at midnight on Tuesday, July 10. We’ve been negotiating for months and even offered DirecTV an extension past the agreement’s original June 30th expiration date. As recently as today, we made significant economic movement in direct conversations with DirecTV.

However, despite our best efforts, DirecTV has rejected all of our proposals to renew our agreement. This evening, DirecTV provided Viacom with a counter proposal that included a lower rate than Viacom receives from any other distributor in the industry. With this offer, our negotiations have reached an impasse.
    This means that, as of tomorrow night, nearly 20 million DirecTV subscribers will be without entertainment from the programmer they watch most. A total of 26 Viacom channels, including Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, VH1, CMT, Spike TV, TV Land and more won’t be available.
    Our agreement with DirecTV is seven years old – ancient by the standards of the ever-evolving media industry – which means that DirecTV has enjoyed way below market rates for Viacom’s networks for a very long time.
    If negotiations remain stalled, DirecTV will drop Viacom’s channels tomorrow tonight. No Dora, no SpongeBob, no Teen Wolf, no 106 & Park, no Daily Show, no Colbert,and no Snooki – a regrettable and avoidable turn of events if there ever was one, and an outcome that our team has worked tirelessly to avoid.
    Here’s the official statement from Viacom:
    As of midnight on Tuesday, July 10, DirecTV will drop 26 Viacom channels, including Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, VH1, CMT, Spike TV, TV Land and more. Viacom is the most watched programmer on DirecTV. Nickelodeon is the most watched cable network on DirecTV. We regret that DirecTV refuses to consider a fair deal that recognizes the value of Viacom programming. We urge DirecTV customers to call 800-531-5000[IMG]file:///D:/Documents%20and%20Settings/nathan.m.montoya/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Low/Communicator%20Smart%20Tags/ctoc-IPphone.png[/IMG] or visit www.whendirectvdrops.com and demand that DirecTV put its customers first, and keep Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET and all of Viacom’s channels.
    Here are some indisputable facts about Viacom and the strength of its networks on DirecTV:
    • Viacom accounts for 20% of all viewing on DirecTV – more than any other programmer and above the national average for all distributors.1 Yet Viacom currently accounts for less than 5% of DirecTV’s programming expenses. 2
    • Nickelodeon is the #1 most-watched cable network on DirecTV. 1
    • Kids in DirecTV homes spend 50% of their viewing time watching Nickelodeon networks. 1
    • Over the past three years, Viacom has completed nearly a dozen significant distribution renewal agreements privately and without disruption to consumers.
    And here are some indisputable facts about DirecTV:
    • Over the past three years, DirecTV has fought publicly over carriage agreements with seven different programmers – Fox, Tribune, Diversified Communications, Northwest Broadcasting, Sunbeam, Belo, G4, Versus, and YES Networks – and dropped five of them.
    • DirecTV is on track to deliver $5 billion in profit in 2012.3
    • Over the seven year life of our expiring deal, DirecTV doubled its worldwide revenue, tripled its profits and increased its subscriber base by more than 32%.3
    Needless to say, Viacom will continue to work to convince DirecTV to keep our channels, and strike a fair and equitable agreement. Check this space for updates on the situation.
    For more information, you can visit the website Viacom has set up to notify consumers of DirecTV’s decision to drop its channels at www.whendirectvdrops.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/WhenDirecTVDrops.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Re: DirecTV to Drop 26 Viacom Channels at Midnight on Tuesday, July 10

Here we go again...
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Here we go again...
    Jerk, just reporting it. I don't make these things up!

Interesting, never heard about this. Will be interesting to see if it really happens, and for how long. People (especially with kids) won't stand for major channels like ComedyCentral, Nickelodean, MTV, VH1.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Don't forget AMC... Nothing left to watch on TV but the picture quality is better... ... too soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!

Quote Originally Posted by I`m Batman View Post
    Don't forget AMC... Nothing left to watch on TV but the picture quality is better... ... too soon?
    Good one

I just hope the issue clears up. It has to!

OMG, I'm going to miss my episodes of Snooki and Rue Paul and Spongebob? The horror!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I need my Snooki & Jwow fix.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

1000 Ways To Die is awesome. Bummer
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

DirecTV is such a whore.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I can live without all that Viacom shit. Just don't take away my HBO, Palladia, Discovery/TLC/History/HDnet, FoodNetwork, or HGTV!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by I`m Batman View Post
    Actually the AMC dispute is with Dish AMC even put up a website to get you to drop Dish Network

i hear that dish has better picture quality. i think not.. i believe it is the tv. I watch my neighbor's, he has dish and a toshiba, (sad)...my samsung tv is quite crisp .....and yeah i get all those channels that dish would not agree on contractually....

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I can live without all that Viacom shit. Just don't take away my HBO, Palladia, Discovery/TLC/History/HDnet, FoodNetwork, or HGTV!

I hear ya! Most of those viacom channels are nothing but crap. I don't watch a one of them. Go ahead, take um off and while your at it reduce my monthly bill since you have a reduced channel count :-)

In all fairness, there are 2 sides to every story. Would be interested to hear what DirectTV's has to say about this?

Edit: just did a search and this is DirectTV's 2 cents. Seems like Viacom has a significant increase...

DirecTV, in turn, said early Tuesday morning that it had offered Viacom “increased fees for their networks going forward; we just can’t afford the extreme increases they are asking for.” DirecTV characterized Viacom’s request as a 30 percent increase, equivalent to “more than a billion dollars extra.” Viacom countered by saying that the current distribution contract is seven years old.
    // MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Wait a sec... Snooki is going to disappear from my service and I don't have to pay extra for it? I don't see the issue here.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Gold Member

So is the walking dead.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Wait a sec... Snooki is going to disappear from my service and I don't have to pay extra for it? I don't see the issue here.
    Ditto for KUWTK ...aka Kardashian show

Here is a good article on it. It is doubtful the networks will be gone for long (if at all) and both sides are inflating the arguments

Pretty soon DirectTV will drop all networks because they're too expensive and only keep the Spanish channels and pass the savings on to you. But the picture quality is better. ... still too soon?
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!

Sh*t, DirectTV CEO said that he only wants to pay Viacom for the channels that you watch... Hell, I only want to pay for the channels that I watch and not all the others... If it goes both way then hell ya.

I can see exactly what is going to happen here. They will reach some sort of agreement and keep the channels (unfortunately) but WE will see a hefty increase in price on our DirectTV bill and they will blame it all on Viacom.

I say drop that crap programming and give us a reduction in monthly billing!

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    So is the walking dead.
    ! AMC is not part of this, their issue with DISH is separate. DISH customers might lose it. DirecTV will still broadcast zombies' heads exploding in high def.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Gold Member

My bad.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    If negotiations remain stalled, DirecTV will drop Viacom’s channels tomorrow tonight. No Dora, no SpongeBob, no Teen Wolf, no 106 & Park, no Daily Show, no Colbert,and no Snooki –
    Go for it and reduce my monthly bill. I've got a longer list to take it even further.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson