Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading east, IronButt style.

Heading east, IronButt style.

I meant to post this a few weeks ago with an included route map and all that, but alas i was unable to do so.

We're leaving this morning heading back east to WI to see family and so on, and riding the bikes out. My dad has an '84 Yamaha Venture Royale, and i'll be on my '02 FZ1. Its a tad over 1100 miles to where we're going, and i plan on taking as many pics as possible along the way.

For those of you unfamiliar with how the Iron Butt works, in a nutshell we're supposed to do a minimum of 1000 miles over the course of 24hrs. We should be able to do it no problem.

Figured id drop a line and let you mnkw about my journey. I'll update as i can. Wish me luck!

-Jake
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

YOURE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD!

Re: Heading east, IronButt style.

Are you actually going for an IBA cert?

witnesses, mileage and gas log, the whole 9 yards?

If so, it can be done as long as you keep your stops to a minimum.

I've done a couple, but only one officially. paperwork sucks, I'd rather ride.

Good luck and have fun.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Why are you going to Wisconsin? Did you lose a bet? :

Careful, those Wisconsin folk don't take kindly to bikes that don't leak oil and make noise.

Lotta flat straight riding. Did that route once...got rained on 90% of the way there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Careful, those Wisconsin folk don't take kindly to bikes that don't leak oil and make noise.
    Depends on who you know I did a few poker runs on the SV with a local "gang". I was the only sportbike out of a hundred bikes. The guys gave me looks for the first few bars...but after a few beers and bars it was all good. Some crazy motherfuckers!

Hardcore man nice! Have a good trip
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Are you actually going for an IBA cert?

witnesses, mileage and gas log, the whole 9 yards?

If so, it can be done as long as you keep your stops to a minimum.

I've done a couple, but only one officially. paperwork sucks, I'd rather ride.

Good luck and have fun.
    + 1 on the paperwork sucking. Its cool to do the first one but after that it just becomes a pain. Have fun on the ride!
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Why are you going to Wisconsin? Did you lose a bet? :

Yep, this place is crawling with Harlie's.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

There's a lot to sum up, but in a nutshell: yes, was going for the IBA cert and the whole 9 yards.

We wound up missing our goal by about an hour and a half. Partly due to construction through northern CO and seemingly the entire state of Nebraska(DOT condotions said NO construction. They we incorrect, to say the least). That, coupled with fairly frequent stops meant we missed our mark.

BUT, even though we didnt get the IBA cert, we still completed and logged over 1k miles in about 25.5 hrs. Helluva ride, lemme tell ya lol

I also failed to mention i have no throttle lock, or flap on my bike, and only a puig winscreen with a little lip at the top(helps, but definitely not ideal). Needless to say, i'll be getting at bare minimum a throttle lock for the trip back. My wrist was locking up from being in the same position for HOURS.

Happy to say everything went just fine, and save for the random cager or two almost taking us out, the ride was a complete success.

I snapped a couple pics i have to upload to photobucket, but once i do that i'll stop back through and post em up.

Bottom line, it was rough, but a comete blast.... If that makes sense? Lol
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FZjake719 View Post
    It does. A few years from now you'll remember it as "Dad and I rode for an entire day from Colorado to Wisconsin, and I seem to recall that my wrist got a little sore, but the trip was awesome!"
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Nice work man! To a lot of people(sport/cruiser)....100-200mi is a long day. Then... To other people who do 5-800 in a day, that's a long day(which it is). A step beyond that is pure insanity, and certificate or not, that's still VERY impressive and a ride you won't forget like Dirk mentioned. And.....you did it without many luxuries which is even tougher! That's awesome....good work

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Thanks everyone, and youre definitely right. While it wasnt the most comfortable ride, it was definitely worth it. Im getting ready to head to a local LaCrosse bike shopto look for a throttle lock and possibly some removable/universal pegs i can use as highway pegs. My wrist and my knees falling asleep were the biggest issues.

Heres a couple pics, didnt have a lot of time to take a whole bunch especially considering this was all done with my iphone as well.

Touring ready:

Rolled over to 10k miles in Nebraska. Bought the bike last june with 4700 miles on it:

Nebraska sunset:

Iowa sunrise:

And the infamous IBA paperwork and rules/regulations mentioned above:

My sister and mother followed along in the car behind us, and my sister said she took some pics from what she said. Once i get them from her i'll post those up as well.

Thanks again!
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

You have to go through all that just to get a certificate that says you did 1,000 miles in 24 hours???

Hardly seems worth the hassle IMO.

I tried a throttle lock on my recent ride from Phoenix to SF. Didn't work for shit. My hands never fell asleep but damned if my body was sore as shit after riding that far on the SV.

Nah most of the text is a run-through/history of the run, followed by a brief rundown of tips/etc THEN the rules. Basically just tells you how the mileage/stop logs work and how to fill them out, what theyre looking for to verify the ride, and you not only get a certificate, but also a license plate bracket and a pin. While yes, it can be a hassle, it's still one of those "bucket list" type things. Just something cool to aim for on a longer trip. I want to say we had 8-9 log entries before we figured out or came to the realization that we werent going to make it in time. I want to say at the 24hr mark we were roughly 70 miles outside of our goal. Something like that anyway, it's all a blur honestly. I have only slept 9hrs in the past 72 hours though, so im a bit out of it lol
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Nah most of the text is a run-through/history of the run, followed by a brief rundown of tips/etc THEN the rules. Basically just tells you how the mileage/stop logs work and how to fill them out, what theyre looking for to verify the ride, and you not only get a certificate, but also a license plate bracket and a pin. While yes, it can be a hassle, it's still one of those "bucket list" type things. Just something cool to aim for on a longer trip. I want to say we had 8-9 log entries before we figured out or came to the realization that we werent going to make it in time. I want to say at the 24hr mark we were roughly 70 miles outside of our goal. Something like that anyway, it's all a blur honestly. I have only slept 9hrs in the past 72 hours though, so im a bit out of it lol
    Either way whether you made it or not sounds like it was a blast. I did 1,260 miles in 31 hours (i stopped to sleep) last year, You get credit for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    I tried a throttle lock on my recent ride from Phoenix to SF. Didn't work for shit. My hands never fell asleep but damned if my body was sore as shit after riding that far on the SV.
    The only thing that's sore for me is my wrist, everything else is just fine. But, i did also lay on the tank quite often, and came up with a few "creative" ways to stay comfortable-ish. Usually around 100-115 miles the lega would start falling alseep and so-on. The fz1 also has around a 170 mile range, so it didnt last too terribly long before i was able to hop off, fuel up, and get the blood flowing again. Other than being extremely tired due to a lack of sleep im good.
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

Yeah the FZ1 is far more suited for that than the SV1K. I think I had a 120 mile "safe" range on the SV so I was stopping a lot, but only for quick fill ups. I think I only pissed once

Board Newbie

I'm the dad. The Venture Royalle did great for an old bike. Kudos to Jake for doin it on a bike that wasn't really outfitted for touring! Had a blast on the way out. We'll hit some local twisties in my old stomping grounds, then head back to Co next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpumper View Post
    I'm the dad. The Venture Royalle did great for an old bike. Kudos to Jake for doin it on a bike that wasn't really outfitted for touring! Had a blast on the way out. We'll hit some local twisties in my old stomping grounds, then head back to Co next Friday.
    Hi jake's dad

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpumper View Post
    Sounds like an adventure. Safe travels!!
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    Hi jake's dad
    Hi back at ya Kawasaki Rob!

Im getting ready to head to a local LaCrosse bike shopto look for a throttle lock and possibly some removable/universal pegs i can use as highway pegs.
    FYI, a CrampBuster will cost you $10-$15, and will become your new best friend. After riding from Boulder to Las Vegas without one, I picked up one in Vegas while having my tires replaced (long stupid newbie story) and it definitely made the ride back far more enjoyable than the ride out.

Cramp buster? Is that the throttle paddle thingie?
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675