Thread: Cal and Ducati

Cal and Ducati

Sunday we will find out is seems. Although I believe Cal is able to produce similar if not better results than the Ducs now...if Rossi stays, I hope that won't hinder his advancement.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Jul/1207120o.htm
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Re: Cal and Ducati

With Cal's riding style, I bet he could do pretty well on a Duc. It might be easier to get good results on another bike, but he's got the drive to figure out how to make it work. I wonder if there are other offers on the table for him?

NOOOOO!!

Don't do it Cal! Don't fuck your career! I really want to see him on factory yamaha

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    NOOOOO!!

Don't do it Cal! Don't fuck your career! I really want to see him on factory yamaha
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. Cal is too vocal for the Japanese factory teams. He had a fit over the brakes on his Tech 3 bike earlier this year, openly blabbed about the Ducati deal before Tech 3 had the chance to give him an offer trying to pressure Yamaha for a factory ride (Spies seat). Since that time Tech 3 has filled one open seat and I would be surprised is Dovi didn't get the other one now that almost all of the factory seats are looking full.

CRT is a clear loser and I doubt that anyone is going to invest in it seriously in 2013. The ART Aprilia bikes are clearly the class of the field, but even they are light-years off the prototype pace. I think the Honda "Customer" GP bike is a very interesting prospect and would suspect that some teams go that route instead of CRT next year. There will still be a gap, but nothing like what most of the CRT bikes are seeing. What would make it even more interesting is if Yamaha and Ducati followed suit producing customer GP bikes.

Audi buys Ducati - now this is where it gets interesting. Ducati has lacked the resources, to this point, to really do a prototype effort. The kind of stuff where new parts are available at EVERY round and that the development effort is going full tilt all season long. They really got engine management right at the start of both the 990 and 800 cc eras, but were quickly surpassed by the larger players as ongoing development continued through the seasons. Audi / Volkswagen is poised to become the world's largest automaker surpassing even Toyota in the coming years. They have engineering and development resources available that Ducati hasn't had. This may be the cause for Valentino's change of heart.

He and Burgess are a potent team in making a motorcycle go fast, and to some extent that was all that was needed "back in the day". These days the game has changed. Being able to do analysis of what is happening on the racetrack and then simulate changes and fabricate a new part (or write a new computer program) to adjust is more than a rider and a crew chief can handle. The team of engineers required to get the traction / wheelie control right ALONE is astounding, much less what it takes to make the whole motorcycle work.

What would I LIKE to see? A return to the 990 era. Those motorcycles were beasts to ride and a lot of fun to watch. That isn't going to happen. Technology has marched on and we live in a digital world. Ride by wire was on a fraction of those bikes. Today it's on every bike on the grid.

Cal will get a seat, but it's not going to be the one he wants. Ben Spies has won a world championship for Yamaha and they aren't going to can him over one bad season. He's been a team player, owned his mistakes and worked hard. Jorge is a world champion in the premier class, and we all know that he all but bleeds blue.

The rider who is going to get the short end of this stick is Hayden, who is going to find himself without a ride despite being a tireless test rider, an amazingly positive personality and a Moto GP world champion. Ducati is going to go with Crutchlow, and from there they will have two vocal and passionate riders who will not be afraid to knock their sponsor or the brand when it doesn't go well. It's marketing roulette for them. If it goes well it will be that they have (arguably) the best rider in the world along wiht the best crew chief to execute a turnaround. If it goes badly they are going to get left holding the bag for failing.

Rybo stop making sense, it's making me angry

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. Cal is too vocal for the Japanese factory teams. He had a fit over the brakes on his Tech 3 bike earlier this year, openly blabbed about the Ducati deal before Tech 3 had the chance to give him an offer trying to pressure Yamaha for a factory ride (Spies seat). Since that time Tech 3 has filled one open seat and I would be surprised is Dovi didn't get the other one now that almost all of the factory seats are looking full.

Cal will get a seat, but it's not going to be the one he wants. Ben Spies has won a world championship for Yamaha and they aren't going to can him over one bad season. He's been a team player, owned his mistakes and worked hard. Jorge is a world champion in the premier class, and we all know that he all but bleeds blue.

The rider who is going to get the short end of this stick is Hayden, who is going to find himself without a ride despite being a tireless test rider, an amazingly positive personality and a Moto GP world champion. Ducati is going to go with Crutchlow, and from there they will have two vocal and passionate riders who will not be afraid to knock their sponsor or the brand when it doesn't go well. It's marketing roulette for them. If it goes well it will be that they have (arguably) the best rider in the world along wiht the best crew chief to execute a turnaround. If it goes badly they are going to get left holding the bag for failing.
    (All speculation of course) But do you think the reason that Ducati did not offer the contract for Cal at Mugello has anything to do with the possibility of Spies not riding in the upcoming season? I know you believe he will stay, but as the season progresses I just dont see him sticking with the factory team. Its unfortunate, but with Hayden being out of a ride next season (so far), Dovi having not signed anything(?)...and with podium(s) now, I cant help but think there will be 2 factory spots open that Dovi, Hayden and Cal will be battling for. Especially with Hayden (silly season) denying rumours that he will return to WSBK. Schwantz is saying that there is the possibility of having no Americans racing next season in the series...but I cannot believe teams (or factory's) would let Spies stay and Hayden go that easily.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    (All speculation of course) But do you think the reason that Ducati did not offer the contract for Cal at Mugello has anything to do with the possibility of Spies not riding in the upcoming season? I know you believe he will stay, but as the season progresses I just dont see him sticking with the factory team. Its unfortunate, but with Hayden being out of a ride next season (so far), Dovi having not signed anything(?)...and with podium(s) now, I cant help but think there will be 2 factory spots open that Dovi, Hayden and Cal will be battling for. Especially with Hayden (silly season) denying rumours that he will return to WSBK. Schwantz is saying that there is the possibility of having no Americans racing next season in the series...but I cannot believe teams (or factory's) would let Spies stay and Hayden go that easily.

For sure it's all speculation on my part - just how I see the cards falling.

It's going to be Dovi and Smith on the Tech 3 bikes leaving Cruthclow and Hayden for the Ducati seat.

I don't think that Yamaha is going to let Spies go quite yet. Beyond what I've said before, the US is still the world's largest economy. Losing american market share by letting Spies go is going to be a bit of a deal killer for Yamaha. They want the appeal of having (possibly) the only american rider on their team.

Losing american market share by letting Spies go is going to be a bit of a deal killer for Yamaha. They want the appeal of having (possibly) the only american rider on their team.
    Good point

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

For sure it's all speculation on my part - just how I see the cards falling.

It's going to be Dovi and Smith on the Tech 3 bikes leaving Cruthclow and Hayden for the Ducati seat.

I don't think that Yamaha is going to let Spies go quite yet. Beyond what I've said before, the US is still the world's largest economy. Losing american market share by letting Spies go is going to be a bit of a deal killer for Yamaha. They want the appeal of having (possibly) the only american rider on their team.
    I don't know if you read this: Melling Makes Sense of MotoGP

It's definitely OP ED, so I wouldn't take it as fact, but I thought it was kind of interesting.

He makes some interesting points about GP and the US audience. Such a small percentage of the American market are GP fans, it's almost a null point to ensure a US rider for market share.

Just look at the draws of Sturgis or Daytona Bike Week vs. Laguna and Indy GPs. Appealing to a very small and declining target market is not what Yamaha wants (IMO).
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    I don't know if you read this: Melling Makes Sense of MotoGP
    Interesting thoughts. I agree that the electronics have really decreased the excitement of racing. I understand the arguments for them in controlling the power of these bikes, but I think the racing would be much more fun to watch if the riders were having to use their skills more to control the power delivery. If that meant 200hp instead of 240hp, so be it.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Interesting thoughts. I agree that the electronics have really decreased the excitement of racing. I understand the arguments for them in controlling the power of these bikes, but I think the racing would be much more fun to watch if the riders were having to use their skills more to control the power delivery. If that meant 200hp instead of 240hp, so be it.
    Take away the TC and any other band-aids, and make the throttle, which is fly-by-wire anyways, a rheostat, determining actual engine speed, not determining throttle position, which only determines engine speed via the load on it working against the power created by the throttle opening and RPM. This would essentially not be an active TC (which allows ham-fisted riders to whack the throttle open), but would simply not allow engine overrev if available traction lessened. Ham-fisted riders would still end up on their heads because there would be no TC to save them, but it would provide a small safety net when used judiciously. I hate that racing is now dictated by the ability of the software guys writing the TC code, vs the rider and the mechanical Engineers creating the bike.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Take away the TC and any other band-aids, and make the throttle, which is fly-by-wire anyways, a rheostat, determining actual engine speed, not determining throttle position, which only determines engine speed via the load on it working against the power created by the throttle opening and RPM. This would essentially not be an active TC (which allows ham-fisted riders to whack the throttle open), but would simply not allow engine overrev if available traction lessened. Ham-fisted riders would still end up on their heads because there would be no TC to save them, but it would provide a small safety net when used judiciously. I hate that racing is now dictated by the ability of the software guys writing the TC code, vs the rider and the mechanical Engineers creating the bike.
    I believe the BSB series is running bikes with extremely limited electronics right now. I'm not sure how it's going though(?)

Here is some more info

http://www.britishsuperbike.com/medi...tronics-02.pdf
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Wed Jul 18th, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Although I am a fan of Cal's... this is great.

"Nick Hayden has won a MotoGP World Championship. Nick Hayden has won three MotoGP races. Nick Hayden has stood on a MotoGP podium 28 times. Cal Crutchlow's numbers in all of those categories is a big, plump zero after a season and a half in the premier class".

Full Story:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/...0720-22mn1.htm

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Site Admin

Rybo wrong again in this silly season

http://superbikeplanet.com/2012/Jul/120724spiesnoy.htm