Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interstate Honda's First Annual Car and Bike Show

Interstate Honda's First Annual Car and Bike Show

We are throwing our First Annual Car and Bike Show to beneifit the Second Wind Fund, a teen suicide prevention program in Colorado. We have about 50 open spots for cars and another 50 for motorcycles. There is no entrance fee for a car or bike but there will be a prize category for both, as well as a trophy for best of show. We are planning on having a few vendors out as well as music and food. This is a charity event so donations are greatly appreciated! To register your ride visit our website (interstatehonda.com) and follow the car show link or call Bill at 970 493 8881!

Re: Interstate Honda's First Annual Car and Bike Show

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Welcome to the party Mr. Compassionate! Having dealt with step kids in a former life, there are many reasons that teens contemplate suicide that mentally healthy people can't begin to comprehend.
    Last edited by birchyboy; Tue Jul 17th, 2012 at 05:48 PM.

98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Never having heard of this charity before, I don't know. Likely a mix of private funding and charitable donations. Either way, what's the difference. It's a local organization trying to help out kids in need.

You're right, there are school counselors (assuming the kids are in school), hot lines, etc. But if a local business wants to have a fund raiser for something of their choosing, why shoot them down with your preference to donate elsewhere?
    Last edited by birchyboy; Tue Jul 17th, 2012 at 05:49 PM.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    Never having heard of this charity before, I don't know. Likely a mix of private funding and charitable donations. Either way, what's the difference. It's a local organization trying to help out kids in need.

You're right, there are school counselors (assuming the kids are in school), hot lines, etc. But if a local business wants to have a fund raiser for something of their choosing, why shoot them down with your preference to donate elsewhere?
    Cause i'm an asshole.

Cause i'm an asshole.
    There's probably a counseling group for that

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    There's probably a counseling group for that
    Probably.

Pressures on young kids can be so overwhelming that they think there is no other choice. In almost all cases the parents are unaware of their issues. Hopefully your kid doesn't go that way.
    We raced with a young man last year that had what everyone considered to be a great future as a roadracer, and for reasons still unknown he took his own life, devastating his entire family and many of us who were friends of his.
    Adult suicide is something I don't have much compassion for the person unless they are terminal and suffering, but teenagers are not emotionally mature enough to make suicide anything but a tragic mistake. Hopefully these programs will raise awareness in the teens that this is not the way to deal with their problems and for the parents to recognize the danger signs.

RIP Spencer
    Last edited by Bueller; Tue Jul 17th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maktastik_jr. View Post
    BTW - welcome to the board. 1 post since April 2011...you better pace yourself!

Bueller, the Bill your thinking of is my father and yes. i was a "junior" member of the CSC many years ago with my dad. and grim, your a douche. my 14 year old sister committed suicide in april of 2010, hence why i am organizing this event on behalf of my families company. i would hold your toungue before you go off talking shit about teen suicide and it not being a big deal. i hope you never have to go through the trauma i did at such a young age. . but all sob stories and bullshit aside, i really am trying to make this event kick ass so we can raise awareness as well as money for this charity.

Bueller, the Bill your thinking of is my father and yes. i was a "junior" member of the CSC many years ago with my dad. and grim, your a douche. my 14 year old sister committed suicide in april of 2010, hence why i am organizing this event on behalf of my families company. i would hold your toungue before you go off talking shit about teen suicide and it not being a big deal. i hope you never have to go through the trauma i did at such a young age. . but all sob stories and bullshit aside, i really am trying to make this event kick ass so we can raise awareness as well as money for this charity.
    Perhaps my initial post was not the most appropriately worded and for that i do apologize. My opinion does not have to matter to anyone other than myself.

My question is what are these groups called where does the money go? I genuinely would like to know where my money would be going and who is doing what to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    @ Grim The question is why are you in this thread?
    Your opinion is just that, it doesn't belong here.
    Absolutely right, it just got the best of me i will focus on the task at hand.

Gold Member

Quoted from Second Wind Fund website
    "
    How SWF Works

In order to be considered for a referral by the SWF, an individual must be 19 or under, at risk for sucide and be uninsured or under-insured for mental health services (and not on Medicaid). In a community that has a Second Wind Fund Affiliate program, a qualified referral source (i.e., school counselor, teacher, coach, faith leader, youth leader) concerned about a student would engage in the following process:
    1. A qualified referral source (QRS) deems a student at least moderately “at risk” for suicide and the student’s family does not have financial means (including adequate insurance) to pay for professional therapy. The QRS contacts the SWF Affiliate Program in their community.
    2. After ensuring that the youth is a suicide risk, lacks financial means to pay for therapy, and is not on Medicaid, the SWF Affiliate assigns the student a referral number. If the student is on Medicaid, he or she is first referred to the county mental health association.
    3. The QRS initiates a referral with parental permission. After receiving a SWF referral number, the QRS writes the referral number on a program referral form, signs the form, and gives it to the student and/or parents.
    4. The referred student is given the referral form and a list of private therapists who have agreed to see SWF clients.
    5. All therapists in the SWF program are private therapists who are licensed, maintain malpractice insurance, have experience with teens at risk for suicide, and have agreed to see SWF clients at a drastically reduced hourly rate.
    6. SWF will pay for a student to visit a program therapist up to 12 times. (Five visits are automatically approved at the time of the initial referral. More visits require additional information.)
    State officials and private therapists note that, to the best of their knowledge, our program’s structure is unique. We receive requests to duplicate services and expand the program from communities throughout the United States."

anyways.... i could really use some help getting some sweet cars and bikes to show up at this show. my plan is to make it an annual thing and in order for that to happen i cant throw a lame car show.

Quoted from Second Wind Fund website
    "
    How SWF Works

[*]A qualified referral source (QRS) deems a student at least moderately “at risk” for suicide and the student’s family does not have financial means (including adequate insurance) to pay for professional therapy. The QRS contacts the SWF Affiliate Program in their community.
    This is what i did not see on the website, will there be a donation box or how will this be setup?

Again my apologies if i offended anyone here, my opinion got the best of me and needed to be kept to myself.

Obviously this is a very important function attending and gaining knowledge will help me understand a little more, i have never lost anyone close to me through suicide so i cannot relate to anyone who has.

well basically, we are throwing a free car show. at the show there will be a 50/50 raffle meaning we sell tickets for 5 dollars and who ever wins the raffle gets half of the cash and the other half goes to SWF. we are also doing a chinese auction, in a chinese auction various items (motorcycle and car related) are laid out on a table with collection cans next to them. you can buy as many tickets as you like and enter them in to the can. we then draw one ticket from each can and whoever wins gets that specific item. its basically a simplified silent auction. we are also serving plates of food for a determined price (i havent done the math yet) and all those proceeds will go to the charity as well. so there is the fundraising aspect. this money will fund counselling for at risk teens all around colorado.

well basically, we are throwing a free car show. at the show there will be a 50/50 raffle meaning we sell tickets for 5 dollars and who ever wins the raffle gets half of the cash and the other half goes to SWF. we are also doing a chinese auction, in a chinese auction various items (motorcycle and car related) are laid out on a table with collection cans next to them. you can buy as many tickets as you like and enter them in to the can. we then draw one ticket from each can and whoever wins gets that specific item. its basically a simplified silent auction. we are also serving plates of food for a determined price (i havent done the math yet) and all those proceeds will go to the charity as well. so there is the fundraising aspect. this money will fund counselling for at risk teens all around colorado.
    Have you reached out to the local shops ie performance cycle, Fay Meyers?

I know performance is a family owned place they may bay able to help you out with getting the word out and maybe even prizes.

Haha i work at a local shop. my parents actually own it. Interstate Honda in Fort Collins. We are the ones putting it on.
    Ride To Live

81' CB900f... the oldy
    11' CRF250R..FOR SALE
    74' MR50......the mini
    87' VFR700...the daily ride

Haha i work at a local shop. my parents actually own it. Interstate Honda in Fort Collins. We are the ones putting it on.
    Nice well thnks for putting this on, I'll enter my ninja it's not the prettiest but it's white and has halo lights and kids can sit on it if they want to.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Good to see this thread self-corrected and got back on the right track. This event sounds like a good one for the VF1000R to make an appearance. Maybe I'm a dolt but I can't find the link on the main page of the web site to register. I see it in the graphic of the calendar of events but no link. Perhaps someone less doltish can post the direct link here.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I was not able to find it either.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    This event sounds like a good one for the VF1000R to make an appearance.
    i was thinking that maybe one of my X's may also be there. Sounds like a great cause.

yeah i apologize for that confusion. my IT guy hasnt posted the link yet. ( told him i needed it yesterday a whole week ago) if you email me your name phone# make model and year that will work. billmacwithey@gmail.com Id love to have all your bikes there!
    Ride To Live

81' CB900f... the oldy
    11' CRF250R..FOR SALE
    74' MR50......the mini
    87' VFR700...the daily ride