Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting in Aurora, CO

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Mass Shooting in Aurora, CO

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    One person says one thing, another feeds off that, pretty soon the witnesses don't even have a clear picture of what they saw.
    If they even had a clear picture of it to begin with. Humans have notoriously bad perception during events like this.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Im also with Vance. With the smoke and total panic a ccw COULD have made things worse just as quick as COULD have helped. People running around in the dark dressed like batman with smoke helping to to blind people further. Bad day for sure. Watched a clip on a article that was posted on youtube with one kid being brought out in a full batman costume on.
    Precisely!

My best friend who went to a 7pm and a midnight show yesterday dressed in full batman leathers - the ones from Universal Designs - He would have looked VERY MUCH like the shooter I am guessing.

That would have easily made him a target too in that situation, and likely would have made him, in that environment, lighting, smoke, etc - dead - if someone decided to take matters into their own hands.

I'm just saying that tactically - would it really have been that plausible to try to defuse the situation with more gunfire?
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    I'm just saying that tactically - would it really have been that plausible to try to defuse the situation with more gunfire?
    Yes. If I'm sitting there with my wife and I see the guy walk in, drop some sort of smoke bomb and starter shooting, then yes, I'm gonna return fucking fire and it would have done a lot more to "defuse" the situation than sitting there and waiting to be killed.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Just going from what the people that were there that have been interviewed on the radio. They did say it was making them choke. KS107.5 has had at least three different people call in that were in the theatre

Just talked to my GF who worked all night there; she is badly shaken up. Situation is bad and ER's all over all filled up. Glad she is able to help these people. she is going home for a few hours rest and then will be back in either ICU or ER caring for more of these patients; some in bad shape
    Hope your girl will be ok. I'm sure what she has seen is going to be hard to digest.

With all of the people that I know in Aurora I'm quite certain I will know someone that was directly affected.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

I'm sure soon we will see pics of this sick fuck. Whenever there is something like this and they give out his full name and age, you get all his coworkers/classmates/friends, etc. scrambling to find/release info online.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Hope your girl will be ok. I'm sure what she has seen is going to be hard to digest.

With all of the people that I know in Aurora I'm quite certain I will know someone that was directly affected.
    Thanks Josh! Sad when she calls me crying because of all she has seen because some stupid idiot goes crazy. These doctors and nurses get affected too! They try so hard to save people, but sometimes the injuries are just too much. I think it is the kids brought in that are the hardest for her and just the fact that this was so random and not some gang shootout.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

90% or more of the general average public in a life and death situation.....would flee, even more so with all the confusion and commotion that must have been happening in there.

But there are the other, possibly less than 10% of carriers which would be far less than 10% of the movie go'ers that "could" have made the outcome better. Even those that carry, many will say they would do this or that, but most have not faced an immediate life and death situation. So their reactions are unknown even to them despite what they think.

Not having 50 injured and 12 dead. And for those with CQB training... we are not talking about shooting on the move, the double tap/surgical shooting, or even room clearing, breaching, but identifying the target. This is what could have made a difference.

And yes it is very possible to do what you need to do, even with tear gas going off.....but probably not for your average joe.
    Last edited by Slo; Fri Jul 20th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Again, it depends greatly on the details of the situation, which we know little about at this point. I can imagine scenarios where the smoke, noise, etc. could be advantageous to someone trying to stop the guy. Those are decisions you have to make in the moment.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Yes. If I'm sitting there with my wife and I see the guy walk in, drop some sort of smoke bomb and starter shooting, then yes, I'm gonna return fucking fire and it would have done a lot more to "defuse" the situation than sitting there and waiting to be killed.
    If you had perfect line of sight. If you even seen him walk in. If you didnt take it as some sort of prank at first like everyone else. Our brains just dont think like the movies. We also assume its a prank at first when bad things happen.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Anyone can "say" how they would react in any situation but nobody here "knows" how they would react.

Gold Member

Guys you can all say the would haves. Ifs. Doesnt matter. Just be happy it wasnt worse. 300 people stacked up in a theater .... thank god this guy wasnt better at his plan. If you think tactical about taking out a theater its shooting fish in a barrel. Im surprised its not worse.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Too bad the fucktard that committed this crime didn't waste himself. Now that the Feds have jumped on board (read election year) our tax dollars will have to go to giving this loser his 'day in court'. My thought go out to those that have been affected by this tragedy.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Anyone can "say" how they would react in any situation but nobody here "knows" how they would react.
    I kniw how i would... get my ass to safety. Been there. Fuck that hero shit.

If you had perfect line of sight. If you even seen him walk in. If you didnt take it as some sort of prank at first like everyone else. Our brains just dont think like the movies. We also assume its a prank at first when bad things happen.
    really? so it's ok for everyone else in this thread to make wild ass assumptions and general statments but not me? because my general statements do not fit your mental picture of what happened in there?
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Guys you can all say the would haves. Ifs. Doesnt matter. Just be happy it wasnt worse. 300 people stacked up in a theater .... thank god this guy wasnt better at his plan. If you think tactical about taking out a theater its shooting fish in a barrel. Im surprised its not worse.
    +1

If anyone wants to help they are asking for people with O- and A- to please donate blood! Guess they also need platelets.

Sending peopleto http://www.bonfils.org/
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

9News live stream, Bel Bonfils says they're in good shape, but they'd love to see eligible donors to refill all the blood & platelet units that they've been distributing out to the Aurora hospitals last night.

<oops, me and Bulldog posting at same time>
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Too bad the fucktard that committed this crime didn't waste himself. Now that the Feds have jumped on board (read election year) our tax dollars will have to go to giving this loser his 'day in court'. My thought go out to those that have been affected by this tragedy.
    I want him to be tortured as much as everyone else, BUT I also think this is better he's alive. That way we can find out more info on what his (sick) motives were, and the victims families can have their own day in court to address him directly, and to make sure this fucker has to live with the guilt and pain as long as possible, either until his execution, or the rest of life in jail where hopefully he gets raped and shanked.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    If anyone wants to help they are asking for people with O- and A- to please donate blood! Guess they also need platelets.

Sending peopleto http://www.bonfils.org/
    A+ really wish I could help.

I kniw how i would... get my ass to safety. Been there. Fuck that hero shit.
    not about being a hero - about saving your ass. all my statements in this thread are assuming that I believe that the shortest path to safety is by stopping the threat as opposed to a nearest door.

Maybe that's the miscommunication here. I don't expect a CCW'r to be a tactical expert or go in after a perp. I'm talking about sitting in a chair when the guy busts in and your choices are fight or take one in the back.

1999 DR650SE

The police just said it appears his apartment is booby-trapped in a very sophisticated manner. Could be there for hours or days trying to figure out the safest way to enter and possibly disarm anything, and collect evidence. Scary shit...

James Holmes, originally from SanDiego, was a Neuroscience PhD student at U.C.D. grad school, Anschutz campus. Withdrew from the program last month. Been here in Colorado since 2011. SD police have just collected his father out there, probably for his protection and travel to Denver. Here is the first picture released:

Last edited by Ghosty; Fri Jul 20th, 2012 at 10:17 AM.

Sad
    Last edited by CaptGoodvibes; Mon Jul 23rd, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"