Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting in Aurora, CO

Re: Mass Shooting in Aurora, CO

Apprehended with Remington shotgun, S&W AR-15, two Glock .40 handguns, near his white Hyundai. Irritant or smoke released from two devices not identified yet. No other suspects. At least one person was hit in adjoining theater. ATF now tracing how those arms were purchased and what route they took to the shooter, if not purchased locally.

71 people injured, 12 deceased. Two died at hospital, ten at the crime scene.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Fri Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

official statement was that he had

ballistic vest on

Ballistic helmet

gas mask

groin protector

throat protector

all on him when he went in.
    Last edited by grim; Fri Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I will disagree with this strongly. Not talking about people with specialized training such as medical related fields, government agencies, military, etc (people that get trained for this). But the general public will most of the time turn away and flee. Hell, many won't even get involved when they hear a neighbor beating a child or wife.
    welcome to your opinion but until one of us has the results of some big study to support our opinions....

I will however submit; Flight 93, the Shoe Bomber, old man at the coffee shop, etc...
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Tough recordings to listen to. What a selfish coward, this guy.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I will disagree with this strongly. Not talking about people with specialized training such as medical related fields, government agencies, military, etc (people that get trained for this). But the general public will most of the time turn away and flee. Hell, many won't even get involved when they hear a neighbor beating a child or wife.
    Read a book "On Killing", most men in war shot errant as to not hit their fellow man. The most effective shots? Generally speaking are sociopaths.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    I always find this type of statement rather interesting. It's been shown time and again that far more people will run through danger to save their fellow man than those who run with no regard for anyone but themselves.
    Sorry man i wish that was true but just look at this. 300 people in that room. Lets just 25% of people respond the way you think. That would have been 75 people charging the attacker at once. This gives no time to reload or switch weapons. No way in hell would he have left that theater. No way in hell.

Im done fighting for others. At least in this state.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Sorry man i wish that was true but just look at this. 300 people in that room. Lets just 25% of people respond the way you think. That would have been 75 people charging the attacker at once. This gives no time to reload or switch weapons. No way in hell would he have left that theater. No way in hell.
    Unfortunately, you know the demographic in that theater would be predominantly teenagers and not grown mature adults. Adults who were present were most likely with children and were probably doing what they could to save their own.

Not exactly the same "people" as those who would have been there in my example.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I always find this type of statement rather interesting. It's been shown time and again that far more people will run through danger to save their fellow man than those who run with no regard for anyone but themselves.
    welcome to your opinion but until one of us has the results of some big study to support our opinions....

I will however submit; Flight 93, the Shoe Bomber, old man at the coffee shop, etc...
    Speaking of "opinion" TWS, you cite these examples in support of your (and I quote) "It's been shown time and again that far more people will run through danger to save their fellow man than those who run with no regard for anyone but themselves" statement; but what you're failing to absord here, is that in those situations, especially those of Flight 93, only a small percentage of people in harms way went out of their way to try and save themselves and/or thwart the plans of the attackers.

Yes, I think we all get your point that you're the kind of person that would "do something" in a time of duress and danger, but the parallel you're trying to draw is so very very skewed. The few people who collaborated to fight back on F93 and these movie goes who were AMBUSHED WITH LIVE FIRE, are so apart in similarities, that they're almost not worth mentioning in the same sentence. On that plane, they had time to plan their actions, they had time to talk to each other & build confidence - to talk with their spouses and say "goodbyes", and quite frankly they had time to come to terms with their immediate mortality. So again... yes, there are good people in the world willing to defend themselves and others, and yes we understand that you think of yourself, as likely to be one of those people if the need arose. But I think you're treading a very fine line to try and convince us that "things would have been different" so-to-speak, if you were there with a pistol, in that theater last night.

Could you have maybe had a higher likelyhood of saving yourself than the average? Sure, you're probably right. But the thing is... None of us having this conversation were there, and we are safe at this point in time. I guess what I'm getting at, is that the point you're trying to make, isn't much of a point at all, considering the circumstances.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Fri Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Spelling and clarity of thought.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

The theater was predominately 20-something young adults. Many were in line since 6p-7p to get into this special premier. Take that FWIV. This clown is just a psychopath, who'll probably try to plead insanity, who knows...
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Speaking of "opinion" TWS, you cite these examples in support of your (and I quote) "It's been shown time and again that far more people will run through danger to save their fellow man than those who run with no regard for anyone but themselves" statement; but what you're failing to absord here, is that in those situations, especially those of Flight 93, only a small percentage of people in harms way went out of their way to try and save themselves and/or thwart the plans of the attackers.

Yes, I think we all get your point that you're the kind of person that would "do something" in a time of duress and danger, but the parallel you're trying to draw is so very very skewed. The few people who collaborated to fight back on F93 and these movie goes who were AMBUSHED WITH LIVE FIRE, are so apart in similarities, that they're almost not worth mentioning in the same sentence. They had time to plan their actions, they had time to talk to each other build confidence, and quite frankly they had time to come to terms with their immediate mortality. So again... yes, there are good people in the world willing to defend themselves and others. Yes we understand that you think of yourself, as likely to be one of those people if the need arose. But I think you're treading a very fine line to try and convince us that "things would have been different" so-to-speak, if you were there with a pistol.

Could you have maybe had a higher likely hood of saving yourself than the average? Sure, you're probably right. But the thing is... None of us having this conversation were there, and we are safe at this point in time. I guess what I'm getting at, is that the point you're trying to make, isn't much of a point at all, considering the circumstances.
    So flight 93 may not apply, but you don't address my other examples which may be more similar (quick reaction in the face of danger).

I never said, "things would be different if I were there."

This whole thing has got convoluted like all internet threads

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    The theater was predominately 20-something young adults. Many were in line since 6p-7p to get into this special premier. Take that FWIV. This clown is just a psychopath, who'll probably try to plead insanity, who knows...

Police arrested Holmes in a rear parking lot of the theater. He did not resist.

It turns out that Holmes, who has roots in San Diego, was student at the University of Colorado School of Medicine in Aurora. He was in the process of withdrawing at the time of the shooting, university officials said. He was a doctoral student in the neuroscience program.

A college syllabus that lists Holmes as a student shows that he may have taken a class in which he studied topics as diverse as substance abuse, schizophrenia, depression and other disorders.

According to the document, he was supposed to have made a presentation in May about microRNA biomarkers.

Holmes had enrolled at the university in June 2011.

Listening to the Aurora Chief of Police answer questions, one reporter kept trying to get to how he got in through a supposed one way fire exit at the back of theater. That someone thought they saw a person inside might have helped him, and for some reason asking if his hair was dyed green.

Yes, the reporters are really trying to generate spin in every direction on this one.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Had to google that didn't know what that was, i will after work!
    You can do it every week too. Helps out people going through chemo and leukemia.

Gold Member

So flight 93 may not apply, but you don't address my other examples which may be more similar (quick reaction in the face of danger).

Bro you just cant compare this to any other incident. Every incident is different because all people are differentand the mechanics of the situation changes with the people.

Good on you bro. If you say you would have gine after the shooter. So be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    A college syllabus that lists Holmes as a student shows that he may have taken a class in which he studied topics as diverse as substance abuse, schizophrenia, depression and other disorders.

Yes, the reporters are really trying to generate spin in every direction on this one.
    Agreed. What they said about his schooling, could be applied to anyone in a Bio or Psych type major. I've studied almost everything they listed myself, as has everyone who's taken a Psych-100, Psych-Dev, Abnorm.Psych, Genetics, etc. class. The thing about the hair coloring has little base in reality, and possibly just a prank or internet rumor spread wild. Other rumor even said dyed red, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Agreed. What they said about his schooling, could be applied to anyone in a Bio or Psych type major. I've studied almost everything they listed myself, as has everyone who's taken a Psych-100, Psych-Dev, Abnorm.Psych, Genetics, etc. class. The thing about the hair coloring has little base in reality, and possibly just a prank or internet rumor spread wild. Other rumor even said dyed red, ugh.
    I agree, these rumors are already flying as to motive, I'm sure the green hair was a reference to the Joker from the previous movie and the reporter was just trying to provoke a response.

Wow this didn't take long...

Louie Gohmert: Aurora Shootings Result Of 'Ongoing Attacks On Judeo-Christian Beliefs

MRA Racer No.427

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I agree, these rumors are already flying as to motive, I'm sure the green hair was a reference to the Joker from the previous movie and the reporter was just trying to provoke a response.

Wow this didn't take long...

Louie Gohmert: Aurora Shootings Result Of 'Ongoing Attacks On Judeo-Christian Beliefs

Face palm.

It all really boils down to the type of person you are... First, do you care? Most people dont care about others in situations like this. Second, are you a runner? Most people panic and run away from the problem. Third, are you able to rationalize with chaos? Most people can not deal with the realities of engaging in situations like this ie seeing someone get shot or die.

To everyone on here saying that someone can not say what they would do, is ludicrous. There are people that know that they run towards situations. There are people that can manage within the chaos and there are people that would prefer to interject. The only thing that would (maybe) change my mind would be if my family was with me, but I will tell you with 100% confidence that I would not have been running towards the door. Not only is that not a vary smart idea but I have always been wired to interject.

I can totally appreciate someone saying "no you wouldnt" or "you dont know what you would do" but thats coming from someone that would be running towards the door not hunkering down pulling the slide back on their piece.

Im more or less with you Tink!
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Bro you just cant compare this to any other incident. Every incident is different because all people are differentand the mechanics of the situation changes with the people.

Good on you bro. If you say you would have gine after the shooter. So be it.
    in your words

facepalm

/unsubscribe

1999 DR650SE

The news reported this morning that some people were going to the hospital, armed, in an attempt to confront the other parent that had taken their kid to the theater. Just what the police and hospital staff need.

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    The news reported this morning that some people were going to the hospital, armed, in an attempt to confront the other parent that had taken their kid to the theater. Just what the police and hospital staff need.
    Huh? As in they're blaming another adult for chaperoning their kid to the theater? As if it's their fault lol, wow... Real parents would have taken their own child or come to terms with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    Huh?
    Some parents were so pissed (assuming divorced, etc) that they were going to the hospital where their kid was, packing heat, wanting to confront the other parent.

Only because F93 is the most well known, and because this was an innocent slaughtering of people in a proverbial 'Crowded Movie Theater'. I fully acknowledge instinctual "fight or flight" tendancies.

Perhaps not in so many words, but it's the way I read your earlier "... and it would have done a lot more to "defuse" the situation than..." comment. In the seconds and even minutes immediately following the first shots, I don't think anybody within sight-distance of the armored shooter, relgated themselves to simply wait there and die. Probably no different than if you and I were there watching it.

They often do. Truth is, you sound like the kind of person I'd want on my side if life and death were on the line. It's just a tough pill to swallow though, to think of the people who were attacked in a way that portrays them as even remotely less capable (or prepared) than their fellow man, under such incredible, utterly confusing, and frightening circumstances. ANY comparison of them to ourselves is misguided, unnecessary, and in poor taste, in my opinion. Regardless of the fact that people like you maybe never go to a theater without your .40, a flashlight, and an extra magazine, and people like me never go without a few extra bucks for snacks. Random victimization and violence can get the best of even the most well armed movie goer. After all, this guy had his checklist of "gear" himself, it seems.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Fri Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Some parents were so pissed (assuming divorced, etc) that they were going to the hospital where their kid was, packing heat, wanting to confront the other parent.
    I guess some people focus on the denial and anger part of the 5 steps of grief...

MRA Racer No.427