Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Used Bikes options...

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Re: Battle of the Used Bikes options...

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    If you are considering a Daytona (like the one in your pic) and willing to travel some, I know of a very clean 2001 with low miles in the Dallas area. It is on a Texas MC forum that I am on.

Two Wheeled Texans - FS 2001 Daytona 955i - in Dallas, TX
    I would be HIGHLY interested - especially at that price (I wouldn't even try to haggle him down!) Sadly I'm about 8-9 months away at the earliest from purchasing and something tells me it won't be around by then

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    Of course if you go with the 998 there is also the option of the Bostrom Replica?

Or the 996 Foggy Replica?
    Yeah --- Ive been getting feedback from a multi-Ducati owning friend that's been saying the maintenance costs on the 996 (and to a lesser but still inflated rate the 998s) are astronomical comparative to any other bike out there, even the MV Agustas... so that may be knocking them out of the running before things even get serious... but we'll see.
    Last edited by Vance; Tue Jul 24th, 2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: punctuation
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

vance -

As a former ducati owner I can say that my street bike wasn't any too much more hassle than any other streetbike I've ever owned.

There is an issue with this generation of Ducatis, though, and that is that the rocker arms for the valve system had flaking issues on the running surfaces. In my case the problem was caught and covered on warranty (for the street bike). If that isn't done, then there is cause for concern as the replacement costs are pretty high for these parts and it's a bit labor intensive.

Other than that I can say that the 748 (2001) that I had was really a great bike and one that I would buy again.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    vance -

As a former ducati owner I can say that my street bike wasn't any too much more hassle than any other streetbike I've ever owned.

There is an issue with this generation of Ducatis, though, and that is that the rocker arms for the valve system had flaking issues on the running surfaces. In my case the problem was caught and covered on warranty (for the street bike). If that isn't done, then there is cause for concern as the replacement costs are pretty high for these parts and it's a bit labor intensive.

Other than that I can say that the 748 (2001) that I had was really a great bike and one that I would buy again.

Scott

Ohhh... 748! I totally forgot about that one!
    I need to add that to the list!
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Am I missing any other 750s or non litre size bikes out there that might be a good option?

749/999? Alot of people dont like them but hey, thats why they're cool. I enjoy them.

Suzuki TL1000R?

Kawasaki ZX7R?

Love the front end
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    749/999? Alot of people dont like them but hey, thats why they're cool. I enjoy them.
    Honestly I am starting to highly consider adding the 999 / 749 series. I kind of liked them when they came out (except the lack of a single-sided swingarm), and remember hearing NOTHING bad about them except the detractors on the styling. I remember hearing rave reviews about how nimble and forgiving and "elite" they were of a riding machine, how they devastated the Aprilia's in handling, acceleration, etc, etc, etc... we easier on the wallet because they had corrected so many problems that had plagued Ducati's in the past... yeah, I think if I can get to see one in person again they may very well be worthy to add to the list.

Suzuki TL1000R?
    Possible... something about those though always looked "piggish" to me comparative even to the Hayabusa, which was just a rocket look. Probably because it was based so much on the GXSR stylings maybe? I don't know... they never appealed to me the way the RC51s did by comparison.

Kawasaki ZX7R?

Love the front end
    No... never really liked those at all to be honest. Can't really tell you why they didn't appeal - but they just never did.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Oh, just pick one of these and be done with it.

Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post

Yeah I saw those when they were there...
    The NR750 has always been a dream (I just won the powerball situation) bike to own and put on display in my man-cave / office / photo studio.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Am I missing any other 750s or non litre size bikes out there that might be a good option?
    Uhhhh, MV F4 750... duh!

Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I loved my 748. IMO it was a bit costly for maintenance especially if you are going to put miles on it. If you have not considered a VFR800 I would reccomend it. I've really become a fan of it and love mine. It's comfortable, and a great all around bike. It's got a fantastic deep V rumble. It's a great bike for doing distance and more then capable in the twisties.
    I would recommend getting one with luggage and a Power Commander.
    Last edited by Jmetz; Wed Jul 25th, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Uhhhh, MV F4 750... duh!

Only 1 of the 1+1 variants on Cycletrader... a definite bike to consider but it may be difficult to impossible to find if that ends up being the top choice!

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

i still have a large foot print on my ass after i asked my wife if she wouldnt mind if we added the group to the garage collection

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

PS this is a bad ass build if you like the old 996-998's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDCVa...eature=related

So here is my slightly updated list:

1. 97-2001 Triumph Daytona 595 / 955i

2. 2000.5 - 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille

3. 2004 - 2009 Aprilia RSV1000 R or Factory

4. 2002 - 2004 Ducati 998 / 748 Biposto

5. 2004-2008 Ducati 999 / 749

6. 2007 - Current Triumph Daytona 675

7. BMW S1000RR

8. 1999 - current Suzuki Hayabusa
    (no pic - too large of a range to pick which slight variant I prefer quite yet)

9. 1999 - 2004 - MV Agusta F4 750

10. 2003-2006 Triumph Daytona 955i

11. 2003 - 2006 Honda RC-51

If you can't tell - I have a thing for silver or black as my preferred color choice.
    Last edited by Vance; Thu Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Removing MV Agusta 675. Just saw MSRP... no joy there.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    12. 2003 - 2006 Honda RC-51
    That's always been the paint scheme I like best on the 51. I'll have one at some point.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

That's always been the paint scheme I like best on the 51. I'll have one at some point.
    Same here. At first the dark wasn't my favorite...but it started to grow on me.

Well Vance those are all some good bikes man, good luck choosing the right one!

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Just yanked the MV 675 off... just saw the MSRP on that and HELL NO.
    Why pay that much for a 675 when the BMW S1000RR is the same price?

I may downgrade the BMW too into a "used only" option based on its MSRP... I have to be realistic here about my riding, which will be 1x a week through the year, weather / season permitting, the occasional social outing where I can / would ride, and the maybe 1x a month canyon bashing or recreational ride.

I don't know that I can justify a $16-17k burn on that low frequency riding.

Officially modifying the list to narrow it down

1. 97-2001 Triumph Daytona 595 / 955i

I was pleased to find out there is still at least 1 mfg that makes undertail exhausts for these series. I always thought this bike looked brilliant with the high rise or the undertail... and based on what I'm seeing these at on cycletrader and such, this would be a VERY affordable returning-to option for me I'm thinking!

2. 2000.5 - 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille

Seeing more and more of these at very reasonable prices on CL and on cycletrader. That is encouraging!

3. 2004 - 2009 Aprilia RSV1000 R or Factory

Still need to sit on / ride one of these to get a feel for it.

4. 2004-2008 Ducati 999 / 749

Sat on a 999 the other day... it felt SUPER narrow - but oddly VERY good / unique. I can see where it might get uncomfortable, but then again - what sportbike doesn't?

5. 2007 - Current Triumph Daytona 675

Sat on one again recently and loved the weight and ease to just move it around standing there. Seemed a little taller in the seat height than a lot of bikes I've sat on though. Need to ride one... really get a feel for the ergos in motion.

6. 1999 - current Suzuki Hayabusa

I've come to the conclusion I like the previous body style slightly to the current (meaning mostly the tail section - I'm not digging the way the new ones look comparative to the previous generation(s).

7. 2003-2006 Triumph Daytona 955i

Still need to find one / sit on one / ride one ideally - see the differences between it and the '97-'01 series. Also want to see if anyone makes an undertail for this one too. If they make one for the previous series you'd think someone would make one for this series.

Since the search is still in progress with a number of months remaining... I'm still open to information, opinions, etc --- even additions to consider in the full fairing bikes based on the previous criteria and information provided.

Yeah... so...

THIS right here I think just made me eliminate the Hayabusa off the potentials list:

I mean WTF??? Isn't stretching them fraked up enough as it is???

B. M. W.

Best Motorcycle in the World

/troll
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I dunno Vance, I could see you on the back of that thing.

In fact Photoshop may see you on the back of it too.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    I dunno Vance, I could see you on the back of that thing.

In fact Photoshop may see you on the back of it too.
    Dude I may not be on Team Skinny - but that's just wrong to even think of doing to me... I haven't been that fat in 15 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    B. M. W.

Best Motorcycle in the World

/troll
    Yeah - been there / done that with my R1100S...
    Considered the S1000RR - but the new price is a bit on the ridiculous end of the spectrum for what my likely budget is going to be. Used may be an option if there are any at the time - but for the moment I've got it knocked off my list of potentials.

How many miles do you put on per year?

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69