Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Used Bikes options...

Re: Battle of the Used Bikes options...

Pretty wide variety of bikes if you are looking for them to do the same thing

I would choose the ZX12R over the Busa just on looks and character and exclusivity.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    I have to be realistic here about my riding, which will be 1x a week through the year, weather / season permitting, the occasional social outing where I can / would ride, and the maybe 1x a month canyon bashing or recreational ride.

I don't know that I can justify a $16-17k burn on that low frequency riding.
    I know this, being realistic about my riding never accounted for getting the bike that moves the soul. I was a solid 3-4k a year person until I got my RC51 last year. I put 10k on it last year, and have dropped off a little but am already at about 5k this year. When you find something that moves you, you will adapt

My vote goes to either the GSXR 750 (04's look great) or the s1000rr.

I have spent a lot of time on the 04 gixxer 750. Comfortable. Plenty of power. Handles great. Etc.

The s1000rr gets my vote because they have some awesome features, reviews, and are comfortable for me to sit on.

Out of the bikes mentioned, and the low miles you will be putting on, my vote go's to the 999.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    Out of the bikes mentioned, and the low miles you will be putting on, my vote go's to the 999.
    I saw a for sale sign on a 999 out at PPIR today. It was parked outside of the pit garages.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I saw a for sale sign on a 999 out at PPIR today. It was parked outside of the pit garages.
    Beautiful bikes. Different/controversial too which is cool. How much did they want for it?

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Beautiful bikes. Different/controversial too which is cool. How much did they want for it?
    I don't know, it was down quite a few pits on the other side of the garage where Snowman and sprtbkbabe were setup.

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

How many miles do you put on per year?
    Per year? Honestly I've never paid attention to my annual miles. I've noticed when I have a bike, I find every excuse to ride it.

So in theory I'd be putting on probably 90 miles / week going to work once a week RT minimum... plus now that I don't take the kids to TKD since we had to switch days I would likely ride there 2-3 times a week so that'd be about 15 miles per day RT there... my weekly socializing at trivia night - that's about another 30 miles RT... then my randomized social outings on weekends or such or maybe even to photo shoots... and of course maybe the occasional weekend canyon bashing ride...

I don't know what that adds up to but in the brief period I owned my '03 Aprilia I put on almost 8000 miles in 7 months - but I also was riding it pretty much every waking moment possible.

Quote Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
    Pretty wide variety of bikes if you are looking for them to do the same thing

I would choose the ZX12R over the Busa just on looks and character and exclusivity.
    Yeah... never considered the ZX12 as an option. No joy for my taste in bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyD View Post
    I know this, being realistic about my riding never accounted for getting the bike that moves the soul. I was a solid 3-4k a year person until I got my RC51 last year. I put 10k on it last year, and have dropped off a little but am already at about 5k this year. When you find something that moves you, you will adapt
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Grant H. View Post
    My vote goes to either the GSXR 750 (04's look great) or the s1000rr.

I have spent a lot of time on the 04 gixxer 750. Comfortable. Plenty of power. Handles great. Etc.

The s1000rr gets my vote because they have some awesome features, reviews, and are comfortable for me to sit on.
    The GSXR750 was a potential option but honestly I'm something of a Eurosnob first and foremost - so it didn't even make it to the baseline list.

Honestly after sitting on one finally - I find that bike moving higher and higher up the list as a favorite. I'd place it in the top 3 of the remaining at the moment. Obviously riding one will be of critical importance because I need to understand how those ultra-narrow ergos feel in motion, etc considering I've only ridden one Duc (Monster 620) in my life and that dry clutch thing scared the crap out of me the first time I shifted to be honest (but OMG was that torque something beyond impressive!)
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

I rode a 999R once and it indeed felt tiny and super skinny. The bark that bike had with the termignoni exhuast and the lurch when the throttle was blipped definetely left an impression on my mind. The ergos were not very good, but I didnt care since it was a 999R The brakes also worked tremendously (almost dangerously) well, stopping me around 25 feet short from the planned stopping point until I was used to them. It was a light and nimble, sexy and mean red glistening machine that was all balled up into one tiny little package.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

It was a light and nimble, sexy and mean red glistening machine that was all balled up into one tiny little package.
    Those sort of sound like lyrics from a Prince song or something!

I must find myself a 999 to test ride some time! Sounds like it could most definitely leave an impression!
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing. ~Eva Young

Procrastination is opportunity's assassin. ~Victor Kiam

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. ~Mark Twain

Procrastination is like Masturbation; In the end you're just screwing yourself. ~Unknown

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing. ~Eva Young

Procrastination is opportunity's assassin. ~Victor Kiam

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. ~Mark Twain

Procrastination is like Masturbation; In the end you're just screwing yourself. ~Unknown
    "To be full of desire but woefully without financial means to achieve one's desired acquisitions forces patience upon oneself that is infuriatingly unreasonable." - Jim Vance

"To be full of desire but woefully without financial means to achieve one's desired acquisitions forces patience upon oneself that is infuriatingly unreasonable." - Jim Vance
    All you care about is money. This city deserves a better class of criminal. ~ The Joker

The Science of Procrastination
    Last edited by Snowman; Thu Sep 20th, 2012 at 07:49 AM.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    All you care about is money. This city deserves a better class of criminal. ~ The Joker

The Science of Procrastination
    I am a better class of criminal...
    But the spousal unit won't let me engage in my Moriarty-esque capers despite my urging and cost/benefit analysis I constantly show her

Sooooo...

In the latest development - it would appear in after sitting down to work things out - I will be operating with a budget of $5000 for whatever it is I want with a maximum of $6000...

So if I need to have it shipped - that comes out of the $6000.

The new helmet I need - comes out of the $6000.

If I want a replacement exhaust - say the undertail for the T595 series - comes out of the $6000...

So we'll see how that affects the available list this spring because I think that might have just eliminated the Ducati off the list... and most likely any 08 / 09 RSV but not necessarily the 04-07... not sure on the Daytona 675s - they seem to be all over the map pricing wise on CL and cycletrader. I think the T595 / 955i (any year) seem to all be within the range.

I may have to expand / adjust the list to see if anything else might be viable options (perhaps reconsider the GSXR750s?).

In spending the entire weekend, post budget conversation, discussing this with the spousal unit - all will depend on how we opt to spend the tax return this coming spring (which home improvement we go for and how much it will run us) so either I'll have $5-6000 cash to spend, or I may have cash plus a small willingness to adjust with some additional financing, or if we do both home improvements I may have a slightly larger range (up to $7k) if I go for straight out financing - but presuming I'll have cash only - I think I've come to a conclusion on how I'm going to prioritize my search for a bike in the following order:

All tied for first / top consideration:

--- 2003 - 2006 (or 2002 CE) Daytona 955i:
    Based on pricing I'm seeing these and the options still available I should be able to pick up one of these AND an undertail or high rise pipe refit easily enough well within budget.

I've been told be several Triumph mechanics I've spoken too recently this series had none of the electrical issues of the 97-2001s, were far superior workhorse engines, and had far better throttle, braking, etc.

One particular authorized service tech I spoke to that has been working exclusively on Euro bikes for the last 20 years recommended this above all others for it's reliability, durability, quality, range as both a solid commuter and brilliant canyon-basher... he couldn't recommend this bike enough out of everything on even the original list I went through with him.

--- 2004 - 2009 Aprilia RSV1000 R or Factory
    This may be a longshot to find within budget - but at the rate they're starting to come down based on the economy - there is hope!

The aforementioned Euro-bike tech has told me to find one of these if at all humanly possible over the 2000-2003s - simply put the best of the Rotax engines Aprilia ever used, most reliable, pound-for-pound best v-twin engine ever built... a true badass piece of machinery if at all viable to get my hands on / afford.

--- 2007 - Present Triumph Daytona 675
    Seeing these pop up all over the country at reasonable prices... I think this is a totally viable option though any upgraded exhaust or such would likely have to wait for a year.

The techs didn't like some strange battery drain issue they warned me of - and a very specialized battery that isn't an "off the rack" type (?) - but otherwise they think this is the best bike build of ANY brand in the 500 - 800cc range - hands down, period, no debate - and it just gets better with an improved exhaust and a few tweaks apparently.

Coming in only millimeters behind the top three into secondary consideration:

---- 2000 - 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille
    Leaning towards the 2002 or 2003 specifically...
    Clearly these are VERY easily attainable within budget for a good quality / maintained beast. Several in town even - though I still can't abide by the red. Ewww.

----1997-2001 Daytona T595 / 955i:
    Would love to find a Silver 2001.
    'Nuff said there -- solid beasts though historically wonky on the electrical - though my previous never had a lick of problems there, or mechanically for that matter. Perhaps Jeff will resell me back Dita!

Sadly removed from the list: 2004-2008 Ducati 999:
    After talking to a pair of Ducati mechanics of the last 15 years - while the clear impression is this should be at the top of my list - the odds of finding a 999 under 6k that has had all the work done it needs to is about a 1:1000 shot at best - the fact it will need on average $1000 worth of maintenance a year is a bit of a put-off to me at this stage of the search.

Oh - they also told me the 749 was a waste to look into --- cheaper yes, but when comparing to even the Daytona 675 - I wouldn't be happy with it.

So this opens up the question again...

Am I missing anything out there with some heart and soul that I should be exploring that might fit within the newly defined budget?

All that hype for a 5-6K budget?
    Save til the spring and buy a 999 for 7K.

8k will get you a 999S.

For that budget, My vote goes towards the RC51

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Agreed, not only can you find one within that budget, but most already have cans on them. You can then get springs done, power commander, corbin seat, and a nice tune and be under budget. If you can find one. I'd go with an SP2 (2002+), but the SP1's aren't all that bad either.

Feel free to PM me if you want to take a non-pressurized look at one

Edit: Looking at what you'll be using it for, I'd recommend the VFR800. Find an 03-09 I think? Great looking bikes, capable in the twisties, reasonable power, and better on everything else than the super sports. This is just thinking realistically. The RC51 isn't so much fun commuting.

The VFR800 and RC51 were the two I was bouncing between, the VFR800 would also have been "better suited" for me. Then I was setting off car alarms with the RC51 on the test drive. Add to that the crazy amount of character that bike has, and the FAR more aggressive seating... and I went with what moved the soul.
    Last edited by JonnyD; Mon Oct 1st, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Save til the spring and buy a 999 for 7K.

8k will get you a 999S.

Sadly yes - though it's all relative.
    That's a conservative estimate of my tax return for this coming February plugging the projected numbers into this year's TurboTax... however, not knowing all the law changes for 2012, and also the benefit of if the spousal unit pops the kid out before the 1st - that should / could easily go up! LOL

As far as the RC51 goes... I love the bike, don't get me wrong - but that damn thing had the single most uncomfortable seat I think I've ever experienced in my life just sitting on it. I know you can get a replacement seat - Corbin or such, but I'd need to replace the front and rear seat given the 2 up requirement ... and I don't think Corbin does the rear (and I'm not sure anyone else does either).

I have never had a chance to ride one - so I probably shouldn't automatically rule it out in quite so cavalier a manner.

Edit: Looking at what you'll be using it for, I'd recommend the VFR800. Find an 03-09 I think? Great looking bikes, capable in the twisties, reasonable power, and better on everything else than the super sports. This is just thinking realistically. The RC51 isn't so much fun commuting.

The VFR800 and RC51 were the two I was bouncing between, the VFR800 would also have been "better suited" for me. Then I was setting off car alarms with the RC51 on the test drive. Add to that the crazy amount of character that bike has, and the FAR more aggressive seating... and I went with what moved the soul.
    Interestingly the primary tech I was talking to who reviewed my list also recommended a VFR - but HIGHLY recommended anything PRE V-Tech engines - so pre-2002. Something to do with lack of character in the engine's abilities for a V-Twin.

Since I've never been on any of them - and my personal favorite series was the '96-ish NR750 looking one... who am I to say I don't like them. I'd need to ride a pre-Vtech and a post-Vtech to really understand. I do like that the 2003s forward went untertail - always a personal favorite look for me.

Anyway --- I should probably consider adding the VFR800's / 750s to the roster... That's about the 5th recommendation there. I'll have to research them a bit more.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Edit: Looking at what you'll be using it for, I'd recommend the VFR800. Find an 03-09 I think?
    Doesn't sound like the VFR is what he's looking for, but I would recommend going '06 or newer. The VTEC engagement is better.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Doesn't sound like the VFR is what he's looking for, but I would recommend going '06 or newer. The VTEC engagement is better.
    Well I never entirely ruled the VFR out Dirk...
    I've always seen it as more of a sport-tour - not QUITE as sport-tour as say my BMW was - but not nearly as aggressive as what I'm used to.

Then again - I'm told a lot of people consider the T595 / 955i series Daytona - both generations - to be more sport tour than sport... and I loved my T595 to death... so maybe I should consider it highly as a viable option.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Well I never entirely ruled the VFR out Dirk...
    Ok, if you have any questions, let me know. Don't get too caught up in the VTEC religious debates. The 6th-gen (VTEC) bikes are great machines. I've ridden every VF/VFR ever released in the States except for the 1200, and they all have their pluses and minuses, just like every other motorcycle.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Ok, if you have any questions, let me know. Don't get too caught up in the VTEC religious debates. The 6th-gen (VTEC) bikes are great machines. I've ridden every VF/VFR ever released in the States except for the 1200, and they all have their pluses and minuses, just like every other motorcycle.
    So let's go with the last 2 generations pre-1200...
    What are the pros and cons?