Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Used Bikes options...

Re: Battle of the Used Bikes options...

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    So let's go with the last 2 generations pre-1200...
    What are the pros and cons?
    They're Hondas, what down side could there possibly be?

MRA Racer No.427

If you are on a budget stay the hell away from Italian bikes. That's my advice.

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    If you are on a budget stay the hell away from Italian bikes. That's my advice.
    Based on my budget it would appear I can easily get into good condition 02-03 Aprilia still have money left over if I play it right and am particular.

Ducati not likely - but definitely seeing potential to return to Aprilia.

As for the RC51s... looking on Cycletrader those damn things sure are commanding a premium aren't they?

Freaking Fay Bugermeistermeisterburger is asking $7200 for an 05??? Sure it has under 10k miles but really? 7200???
    KBB on that is just shy of $6200 on that bike in excellent condition.
    No disrespect to Fay but are they on freaking crack?

A freaking 2008 VFR is carrying a $7100 KBB rate --- not an 05 RC51!!!

DAYUM!
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    They're Hondas, what down side could there possibly be?
    My first motorcycle was a Honda (Hurricane). Got to admit I didn't do timely oil changes, etc per the maintenance guide and that damn thing ran like a top despite my shortcomings / delays in maintenance by a few thousand miles here or there.

That's why if I were to consider a VTwin of Japanese origins - It'd have to be a Honda.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

So let's go with the last 2 generations pre-1200...
    What are the pros and cons?
    Quickly as I'm heading out the door to football practice:

6th-gen(2002-2009): Much better suspension, fewer electrical gremlins (2006+), factory hard bags, undertail exhaust, the headlights are very good.

5th-gen (1998-2001): gear driven cams (i.e. no maintenance, as opposed to chains on the 6th-gens), engine work less costly because of the simpler valve-train (but the motors on all the VFRs are pretty much bulletproof if you take reasonable care of them)

In terms of top-end power, there isn't really much difference between them.

More later...
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I believe this will clearly end the discussion...

MRA Racer No.427

This

And this

Not sure how you could let some ridicules picture change your mind on a busa.
    Contact me for all yourAmsoil needs. 720-515-0963
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/007/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    2011 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
    2004 Suzuki SV650 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by NUTZ View Post
    This

Not sure how you could let some ridicules picture change your mind on a busa.
    Honestly it wasn't the picture... it was a test ride from a coworker that brought his in. It was fun, it was comfortable... it just felt HUGE. Like bigger than my BWM was huge. It was disconcerting how uncomfortable it was for me to be in control of. I'm sure that would change over time - but that level of apprehension was just unnerving enough to put it off the primary list.

Doesn't mean it's gone - just like some of the previous ones I've whittled off - just means they're not on the short list anymore.

Based on my budget it would appear I can easily get into good condition 02-03 Aprilia still have money left over if I play it right and am particular.

Ducati not likely - but definitely seeing potential to return to Aprilia.

As for the RC51s... looking on Cycletrader those damn things sure are commanding a premium aren't they?

Freaking Fay Bugermeistermeisterburger is asking $7200 for an 05??? Sure it has under 10k miles but really? 7200???
    KBB on that is just shy of $6200 on that bike in excellent condition.
    No disrespect to Fay but are they on freaking crack?

A freaking 2008 VFR is carrying a $7100 KBB rate --- not an 05 RC51!!!

DAYUM!

No I mean can you afford to keep it running, I have no doubt you can buy something Italian with 6k.

I have an Aprilia. It costs more to keep running than the Yamaha and Kawasaki I've owned, the filters, the oil even costs more. The air filter, and then there's the parts if you ever might need them.

No I mean can you afford to keep it running, I have no doubt you can buy something Italian with 6k.

I have an Aprilia. It costs more to keep running than the Yamaha and Kawasaki I've owned, the filters, the oil even costs more. The air filter, and then there's the parts if you ever might need them.
    What model and year - because when I had mine there was a marginal price difference for regular service parts - maybe 10-15% - that was about it.

What model and year - because when I had mine there was a marginal price difference for regular service parts - maybe 10-15% - that was about it.

It's also just super hard to work on, on top of the extra cost. Though again changing the oil is actually very easy.

It's also just super hard to work on, on top of the extra cost. Though again changing the oil is actually very easy.
    Mine was an '03.

Every indication I've heard is the Rotax engines are still exponentially easier to work on than ANY Ducati (rated at about $1000 ever 6000 miles from a shop)... comparative to about $500-600 every 9000 or 10,000 miles for an Aprilia from a shop)

That (the Aprilia) to me is reasonable. The Duc - that would potentially stretch my annual repair/upkeep budget more than I'd prefer. Not out of bounds for possibility - but definitely at the high end of comfort margins.

Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

What about a Vespa?
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Brilliant Jim (LOVE the 2001 / 2002 rear hump look) - save for 2 problems:

1. I'd never ask someone to hold a sale for me considering I won't be able to buy until this coming spring when I get my tax money (mid-February)...

2. I need the 2up model - not this /the R like I had before (unless you know a screaming deal on a 2up subframe that I could snag for say $150)

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    What about a Vespa?
    Everyone's a comedian!
    (and I plan on buying a vintage '56 Vespa for my daughter I've got a line on super cheap and restore it for her 16th birthday)

Brilliant Jim (LOVE the 2001 / 2002 rear hump look) - save for 2 problems:

1. I'd never ask someone to hold a sale for me considering I won't be able to buy until this coming spring when I get my tax money (mid-February)...

2. I need the 2up model - not this /the R like I had before (unless you know a screaming deal on a 2up subframe that I could snag for say $150)
    1. I doubt it will sell till Spring

2. Read my ad for the bike......
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    1. I doubt it will sell till Spring

2. Read my ad for the bike......
    1. At that price for an R I would be amazed... but if it doesn't - you may very well yourself a buyer right here!!!

2. DOH! Nope... the woodie has not subsided regarding the enthusiasm and pure awesomeness for which this bike just rocketed to the front of my list!!!

IDK if this will help at all, looks like you already ruled them out (Ducati) BUT...

I bought an 1199S in May, so far I am more or less happy. I owned two Honda's, a BMW, and additionally a KTM.

I would rank the 1199 LAST in build quality in regards to body work. Paint sucks, rubber caps and boots don't like this environment, time consuming to work on, mapping has some serious issues (waiting on a Bazzaz), and labor and parts are expensive.

That being said... I've put over 6000 miles and two sets of tires on the bike since then. I did NOT expect that from a Ducati. I have never broken down, and it starts every time and functions as it should barring some minor glitches. The bike has given me no operational issues to speak of. Yes, it can be a little fussy and buggy. But I acknowledge how much electronics and software are involved in the bike, also being the first of its kind. It is hard to work on, but better than prior models. Parts are expensive, but readily available. The RC8R has to be the bike I've owned with the highest build quality and engineering. ALTHOUGH, the parts are hard to get and very expensive. The BMW was likewise in terms of quality, and the Honda's were what you'd expect.

What I now understand though, is the 1199 may have some stupid problems to have, but I've never had a bike with as much soul to it. It is the sexiest sounding machine I've heard, close battle with the RC8R with an Akra. I'm glad I own one, very unique; having no frame and DES etc... I can know check it off my list, and look forward to a S1000RR down the line as I do my around the world tour...
    Last edited by TransNone13; Mon Oct 1st, 2012 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    IDK if this will help at all, looks like you already ruled them out (Ducati) BUT...
    Sadly the entire 848 / 1198 / 1199 was ruled out both because of price and because of the fact that despite by absolutely admiration and infatuation with the looks of the series - the spousal unit actually named that as the only bike she actually HATES the looks of for some reason (despite liking the 996 / 998 looks). Women! Sometimes (97.1875%) they just don't make any sense.

I saw a RC8 at Fay for sale, 08 used... They are pretty comfy. I won't lie the 1199 is the only model I like besides the Desmo and 999 insofar as superbikes.
    Last edited by TransNone13; Mon Oct 1st, 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Mine was an '03.

Every indication I've heard is the Rotax engines are still exponentially easier to work on than ANY Ducati (rated at about $1000 ever 6000 miles from a shop)... comparative to about $500-600 every 9000 or 10,000 miles for an Aprilia from a shop)

That (the Aprilia) to me is reasonable. The Duc - that would potentially stretch my annual repair/upkeep budget more than I'd prefer. Not out of bounds for possibility - but definitely at the high end of comfort margins.
    Yeah ducatis are money pits for sure. The aprilia isn't any where near as bad, but, it's still not as cheap as a japanese bike.

Yeah ducatis are money pits for sure. The aprilia isn't any where near as bad, but, it's still not as cheap as a japanese bike.
    I paid $400 or so for my initial service so far... That's it, and like I said I'm at 6100. My second service is at 7500 miles and is checks and an oil change... I have my own filters already and use my own oil sooo, I'm paying for checks and a light reset. First major service is 15000, $900 or so. Like I said, this bike is a HUGE improvement for Ducati.
    Last edited by TransNone13; Mon Oct 1st, 2012 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    I paid $400 or so for my initial service so far... That's it, and like I said I'm at 6100. My second service is at 7500 miles and is checks and an oil change... I have my own filters already and use my own oil sooo, I'm paying for checks and a light reset. First major service is 15000, $900 or so. Like I said, this bike is a HUGE improvement for Ducati.
    It is a huge improvement.... As you said for Ducati.

Still wouldn't buy one. I mean from what you said, it sounds pretty terrible, imho, it's really expensive, and it's the cheapest quality..... I guess I don't know what soul is, or have no appreciation for it. They are gorgeous though, but even if I were seriously rich I don't think I would buy one.

I don't begrudge people that buy them, I mean I can see clearly why people buy them, but they just aren't for me. The only reason I bring the cost of running up is because people need to know what they are getting in to. The price of the vehicle isn't the only cost of ownership, not by a long shot.

I like my Aprilia and I'm probably not going to sell it any time soon, though. It will be my last European car/motorcycle, I'm pretty much tired of looking for special fluids or fixing them, the cars that is, the aprilia has never broken down, can't say that for the german cars I've owned, not even close and I take meticulous care of the vehicles I own, so there's no excuse.