Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Battle of the Used Bikes options...

Re: Battle of the Used Bikes options...

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Well I never entirely ruled the VFR out Dirk...
    I've always seen it as more of a sport-tour - not QUITE as sport-tour as say my BMW was - but not nearly as aggressive as what I'm used to.
    It's my understanding that the VFR's are as close to sport as you can get and still have hard saddlebags. VERY sporty! I can't compare editions, but I only heard the 16k valve check is pricey (over 1k) and that thing was a crazy fun bike above 7k ish RPM. VTEC is a pretty awesome technology when you're going for a bike with everything. And it's looks are

As for the RC, I paid $7200 OTD 1.5 years ago and honestly haven't regretted it. Came with power commander, yosh pipes, corbin seat, undertail, and 20000ish miles. It's got 35ish on it now and I've had the valves checked, resprung for my weight, revalved, couple sets of tires, new chain/sprockets, brake pads, the usual fully synthetic Mobil 1 changes, I'd say about 2k of stuff done/installed since I've owned it. Knowing what I do now about how much fun this bike is - I would have paid double.

Just go talk HD down on this one (someone got the bum end on this tradein): WTF IS THIS DOING AT A HARLEY DEALERSHIP
    I'll bet they still have it in February and will be much more interested in getting it out of their showroom
    Last edited by JonnyD; Mon Oct 1st, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

Yeah luckily aftermarket parts fix many issues and I'd be doing it anyway. As for the paint I'm going to go full carbon when I can afford it, so screw it right?
    Last edited by TransNone13; Mon Oct 1st, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Do it... Do it... Do it...

MRA Racer No.427

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyD View Post
    It's my understanding that the VFR's are as close to sport as you can get and still have hard saddlebags. VERY sporty! I can't compare editions, but I only heard the 16k valve check is pricey (over 1k) and that thing was a crazy fun bike above 7k ish RPM.
    It was about $700 for mine as I recall, but everything was within spec. I have known people who put 100K hard miles on these things and never did any valve checks. These bikes are very well engineered.

So, back to Vance's question. With the 6th gen, you get a more modern bike and finding aftermarket bits is easier. You also have more color choices (6th: red,white,silver,black, RWB, versus red or yellow for the 5th gen). The 6th gen also had ABS as an option. Looks are subjective, of course, but I greatly prefer the more angular look of the 6th gen, especially on the back end.

For me, the perfect 750/800 VFR would be the 6th gen body/frame/suspension, a 5th gen motor, and the weight of the 2nd gen. The undertail exhaust of the 6th gen looks very clean and shows off the single-sided swingarm (as well as being less of a burn hazard for passengers). You really can't go wrong with any of them. The heart of the VFR's appeal is the V4 engine. The smooth power delivery is what people love about them. They have good torque on the low end without sacrificing high-revving power up top. This makes them deceptively fast if you are used to the top-end rush of a similar displacement inline 4. They just pull and pull and pull, and all of a sudden you realize that you are doing your-bike-gets-impounded speeds. The first time you accelerate one though a corner, you'll understand the appeal of the V4.

And then there is that V4 sound (video courtesy of Steve Farson; 6th gen first and then two 5th gens; you can hear the whine of the cam gears on the latter two):

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~terrell/bikes/vfrflyby.wmv
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    It was about $700 for mine as I recall, but everything was within spec. I have known people who put 100K hard miles on these things and never did any valve checks. These bikes are very well engineered.

So, back to Vance's question. With the 6th gen, you get a more modern bike and finding aftermarket bits is easier. You also have more color choices (6th: red,white,silver,black, RWB, versus red or yellow for the 5th gen). The 6th gen also had ABS as an option. Looks are subjective, of course, but I greatly prefer the more angular look of the 6th gen, especially on the back end.

For me, the perfect 750/800 VFR would be the 6th gen body/frame/suspension, a 5th gen motor, and the weight of the 2nd gen. The undertail exhaust of the 6th gen looks very clean and shows off the single-sided swingarm (as well as being less of a burn hazard for passengers). You really can't go wrong with any of them. The heart of the VFR's appeal is the V4 engine. The smooth power delivery is what people love about them. They have good torque on the low end without sacrificing high-revving power up top. This makes them deceptively fast if you are used to the top-end rush of a similar displacement inline 4. They just pull and pull and pull, and all of a sudden you realize that you are doing your-bike-gets-impounded speeds. The first time you accelerate one though a corner, you'll understand the appeal of the V4.

And then there is that V4 sound (video courtesy of Steve Farson; 6th gen first and then two 5th gens; you can hear the whine of the cam gears on the latter two):

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~terrell/bikes/vfrflyby.wmv
    Brilliant!

Thanks for the comprehensive evaluation Dirk!
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Do it... Do it... Do it...
    Just for reference... ... I still have wood over this bike at that price with that setup.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

My experience with the Aprilia is purely on the racetrack, but I can say that hands down it's a better bike than my Ducati was for a number of reasons (and I loved my Ducati)

1) it's easier to work on - parts are more accessible on the bike
    2) parts are cheaper and seem to be more available. AF1 in Texas seems to be a very solid supplier of OEM parts. The aftermarket isn't quite as strong, but everything seems considerably more durable.

Jim's bike is an excellent example of the first generation RSV's and would be at the top of my list for a new streetbike.

Scott
    Last edited by rybo; Tue Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:57 AM.

Just for reference... ... I still have wood over this bike at that price with that setup.
    Then stop with the foreplay, it will make you go blind...

MRA Racer No.427

The 675 Triumph Daytona is a dream bike for me. But for reliability and cheap to fix and last for EVAH go with an SV650 Then you get a sweet vtwin sound without the cost/maintenance of a Ducati
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Based on my budget it would appear I can easily get into good condition 02-03 Aprilia still have money left over if I play it right and am particular.

Ducati not likely - but definitely seeing potential to return to Aprilia.

As for the RC51s... looking on Cycletrader those damn things sure are commanding a premium aren't they?

Freaking Fay Bugermeistermeisterburger is asking $7200 for an 05??? Sure it has under 10k miles but really? 7200???
    KBB on that is just shy of $6200 on that bike in excellent condition.
    No disrespect to Fay but are they on freaking crack?

A freaking 2008 VFR is carrying a $7100 KBB rate --- not an 05 RC51!!!

DAYUM!
    RC51's with low miles are going all day for the mid 5's on Cycletrader. There is an 04 Nicky Hayden Edition with all the goodies and only 3100mi going for 5400. Only issue ( for your requirements) is it comes with highmounts. Whatever option you choose have fun with the bike. I'm out of this thread.
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Thu Oct 4th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    RC51's with low miles are going all day for the mid 5's on Cycletrader. There is an 04 Nicky Hayden Edition with all the goodies and only 3100mi going for 5400. Only issue ( for your requirements) is it comes with highmounts. Whatever option you choose have fun with the bike. I'm out of this thread.
    Ummm... querying 02 on RC51s here's what came up:

I would not exactly say "RC51's with low miles are going all day for the mid 5's on Cycletrader"... to me that looks like a lot of people are overvaluing them - especially Fay who has one of the 4 most expensive ones on the list.

The "Battle of the Used Bike Options" would appear to be officially over, done, finito, concluded. Test rides, where possible, have been taken. Real live "I sat / rode" comparisons formulated... top 3 concluded very quickly with a "winner" in sight - and a clear undeniable opportunity for ownership (hopefully, barring any financial mishaps between now and then) locked in.

Now the official countdown to ownership begins at T-minus 129 days and counting down.

Thank you all for your information and input! It was greatly appreciated, educational, and important to helping create the final 3 and the final decision as it currently stands!
    Last edited by Vance; Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 at 08:15 AM.

Remember, it didn't happen without pics!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Remember, it didn't happen without pics!
    I can't post pics until I actually own it!

Then... I guarantee there will be pics in some form.
    In the garage...
    ...In various outside locations...
    ...In various indoor locations (studio or other places I can go all True Lies on with it)...
    ...Being inappropriately fondled by myself, my wife, and/or models who I can convince to do inappropriate things to/with the bike...
    ...Being wiped with my new baby's behind... (in this case my soon-to-be son who will be arriving before the bike, not referring to wiping the bike with another part of the bike)...

Oh there will be pictures!!!

Well ladies and gentlemen,
    If you missed it in the pictures section --- I am, thanks to my lovely wife who bought it for me, the owner of formerly Jim Wilson's rather decked out 2001 RSV Mille R!

I couldn't be happier to be back on an Aprilia twin. It really came down to this or a T595 / 955i Gen1 series Daytona litre bike... but this one, basically skillfully worked over with every modification I could possibly have wanted when I owned my '03 R, was too good to pass up!

Thank you Jim... she will be very well taken care of and ridden like an Italian goddess should be!

Rad! Congrats, and just in time for Spring. Your wifey's a keeper!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Nice pick up. All the cool kids ride apes.