Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sooooo, you want a sportbike....

Re: Sooooo, you want a sportbike....

i always tell friends if you can handle the physical size of the bike and arent an idiot than you will be fine. but what do i know, i didnt start on a 250 so apparently im awful at riding.

I started riding on the street on a 750 back before MSF courses even existed, we got our endorsements the old fashioned way. But I learned more about riding street/track when I was on my 250's than any other single bike I have owned.
    Learn to ride the bike, not the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    Good article, but those that are set on a certain bike and/or peer pressure will end up with more than they need/should have.
    Totally. People who are just entering the sportbike realm have absolutely no idea how fast these bikes are, or how well the brakes work ( myself included when I first begun). Also, Dealers are going to suggest a lower cc bike, but will not turn down a sale if the guy/gal has their mind set. It's a tough point to get across.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

I started out with a 1000cc and was scared shitless…I did take the MSF course and wear full gear. I'm pretty relaxed when I ride and minimize the risks I take.

Mom told me when I turned 16 if I saved up half the money she would sign for the rest. I took her up on it. The year was 1969. I had $500. I wanted the new 1969 Kawasaki H-1 500. Mom said no. Damn. Probably why I am alive today. Start small. When you can wring it's little neck go bigger. I love sportbikes but they do exactly what you tell them to do.....NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    Man how things have changed. As a kid, a 650 was a BIG bike. The Triumph and BSA 650s were considered advanced motorcycles. The Honda CB750 was just plain awesome. We started on 100's and 125's.
    I remember those days.

When the 1100cc Gold Wing first came out I thought it was a beast.

I started out on a 185cc two-stroke. My next bike was a 90cc four-stroke. Then I went for one of those "big" bikes - a brand new 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650.

Since then, I've ridden and owned little bikes, big bikes and really big bikes. My preference is the middleweights. I don't need a liter bike to have fun.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

I started with a Katana 750 in April, took the MSF class May of this year, and have since been riding any of the three listed below:

'00 Katana 750
    '04 GSXR 750 - regeared for better accel.
    '06 ZX-14R

While the article is probably true, and good advice, the other things said about self control and ability to handle the physical size of the bike are key. Self control, aka throttle control, is the key to not getting hurt.

I like this article a lot. I think one thing that helps a lot though is having riden an dirt bike or a manual atv. I have an 05 yamaha 660 raptor that i bought for fun. I learned shifting, clutching, and braking techniques on that, that definately helped when I bought my first bike, my SV650s.

Ive always wanted to go fast, but I know what Im getting into and I have self control and a tiny bit of experience (rod a couple dirtbikes too). Just dont give it much gas in the beginning and make sure you know where the clutch engages and how to brake. I read up on all of this before I started riding.

I will be taking the BRC in 2 weeks. And I rode up morrison for a 6 hour ride with Dave, Richard, Patrick, and Grim and kept up fairly well. It all depends on experience.

If you have none, start small!
    06 GSXR 750

Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

It is stickied

Hahahah <3
    06 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    It is stickied

Hahahah <3
    They did that because of me....ok maybe not
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

My first bike was an old 89 ninja 600r, was a great starter bike and i feel like it didn't have near as much power as the new i4 600cc bikes. It was also very light to help teach me how to handle a bike around a corner. I also grew up riding dirt bikes and snowmobiles and just about everything else with a engine.

I also believe that a bike is only as fast as you make it. A liter bike can be as fast a moped if you have good self control.
    Last edited by cbirchem0724; Sun Jul 21st, 2013 at 07:02 PM.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Something that wasn't called out - Helmets need to be 5 years old or less. Materials degrade over time and if you are buying a used helmet you should avoid anything manufactured over 5 years ago regardless of certifications.

My first bike was, much like all my purchases, was for the flip price. I did buy a beginners bike, 1996 Yamaha Secca 600 twin, but bought it so damn cheap that I profited $800 to go towards my 2007 GSXR750.

This is my simple argument against buying a fast bike as a first bike: When you were 16 do you think you could have jumped in a 500 horsepower manual car and learned how to control it while obeying every rule of the road? - I highly doubt it. Starting on a 600 I4 is almost the same, except you have a better chance at taking your own life. The amount of concentration required to shift, clutch, brake, turn, stop, neutral, and not get taken about by these bad colo drivers is overwhelming on a fast bike, especially if you've never ridden motorcycles before.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    I also believe that a bike is only as fast as you make it. A liter bike can be as fast a moped if you have good self control.
    The point of the article is that self control isn't the only factor. New riders WILL make mistakes. LOTS of mistakes. The point of the article is to buy a bike that will forgive those mistakes. Modern sportbikes, regardless of displacement, are not forgiving.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

I started on a 250 a few months ago so think I can drop .02

If you are really serious about learning the right, safe way and you are patient, get a 250.

If you hate buying/selling vehicles which after my 250, I did, then you should really start on a 600. When I sold my Xterra on CL it was smooth sailing, met a buyer who was satisfied with my low price, we had closed the deal within 2 days. With the 250, I wish.....

When it came time to sell the 250, I had so many people waste my time in looking at the bike and talking prices, only to use my price to negotiate with another generally older bike and try to talk them down. When you set a low price to get it sold, and take time out of your schedule to show at times which always seemed to be the most inconvenient times possible and buyers just waste your time, I can't even begin to describe how much this got to me. If people want to sit on lots of different bikes or negotiate prices, go to a dealer where they're paid to be there to assist you in the first place. With private sellers, you never know how much rescheduling they have to do in order to meet with you. I had to do a lot. I guess it's the price you pay for not wanting to get ripped off by a dealer trade-in price, but as a buyer myself I don't see how people can do that. Maybe I'm too nice.

All in all, I sold mine for $350 less than I bought it for which I don't mind, but all the rescheduling and inconveniences of meeting people over the course of a month and the costs associated with buying and registering the bike add up much more. I want to move up to a 750 but am not at all excited about doing the process all over.

I can't vouch for a 750 or liter bike as I'm sure they are beast that a beginner should avoid. Not saying it isn't possible. It's the rider more than the bike. As long as you take the MSF Basic Rider Course, you should have a good feel for a bike and should be able to get on a 600 just fine I think. How safe or unsafe you choose to ride, is always up to you. You'll probably at some point decide you want more power than a 600, so you get a 750 or a liter bike. Then that's now enough, you get exhaust and power commanders, then you get a busa, then you turbo the busa... Don't think its common? Tell me how many stock literbikes you find on craigslist.. It's a sickness many of us have

Who is crazier, the beginning rider on a 600, or the more experienced rider needing a modified liter bike or Busa/ZX14R...

Just make sure you brake more than you need to before you get into a corner. Don't downshift in a corner unless you are ready to feel some tail kick.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Chocolate Thunder

Very interesting to read all the above....I started on a Suzuki, Gladius 650 for the street. Before the street I took the basic class and a advance riding glass and was scared but excited. After that I rode in a parking on a dirt bike KTM 450, hell why not if I drop it then not much would get hurt, did this for several months until my feet, hands, eyes and brain all connected and I didn't have to think what to do. I am very happy I took all that training and parking lot time, now I know mine is not a sportbike, according to insurance it is a motor ped or something like that, but she can corner and is so easy to handle and learn to ride. I would like to move up, and if I was 21 I would have already, but my patience is there. So any advice on moving up to as what type I would like that.

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Taste the rainbow...B*itch
    http://www.pajiba.com/videos/awesome...inbow-btch.php